who can tell me what the wifi speed actually/normally is for this router on:
802.11 /n 2.4GHz
802.11 /n 5.0GHz

My maximum is 50 Mbps
Message 1 of 15
fordem
Mentor

Re: What is de normal wifi speed?

First - there is NO normal WiFi speed - it's going to vary according to the environment in which the router has been installed - the equipment the router is connected to, the physical construction of the room the router is in and it's furnishings, the proximity of the router to other electronic devices - all of these have an impact - and this is why the router is advertised as having "speeds up to". Think of the "up to" as meaning "never more than". Second - the advertised "speed" is a purely theoretical connection rate - which you will NEVER achieve in reality, even under ideal laboratory conditions - the advertised speeds for the R7000 are 600 mbps on 2.4 GHz & 1300 mbps on 5 GHz. Third - the actual throughput observed is going to vary depending on how you test, and also to some extent the equipment used to conduct the test. Having said all of that 50 mbps sounds low, but, whether or not it is cause for concern depends on what you were measuring and how you measured it.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 15
Guppie1
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer.
I am standing besides the r7000 with my laptop and ipad.
I am testen with Ookla speedtest. So i think walls are no issue.
I agree that the advertising rates are high. So i was wondering what speed other users of the R7000 have. For example standing besides the router.
This gives me an idee of what the "real" speed is

Who can give me some numbers?
Message 3 of 15
fordem
Mentor

If you're running the Ookla speedtest, the limiting factor is most likely your internet connection speed. What you're doing is testing how fast the connection between your laptop/ipad and an unknown server somewhere on the internet can transfer data - and the results of that test will be as fast as the slowest link along the path, which, like the location of the server is unknown. If you want to test YOUR network throughput, both end points MUST be on your network, and both end points must be able to transfer data at an appropriate rate or the end points themselves will be the limiting factor. Now that I know how you're testing, I'll revise my previous opinion - 50 mbps, for an internet connection speed - that's pretty good, it's certainly a lot faster than mine.

Message 4 of 15
Guppie1
Aspirant

With fixed cable i receive a speed of 83 to internet. So the wifi is still the bottle neck.
How can i test the speed of the internal network?

And i am still wonder what speed others have for mij own comparison.

Anyone?
Message 5 of 15
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I use the R7000 as an access point and a Draytek 2950 as the router, the modem is a Virgin Media device made by Netgear. My Internet connection is currently rated at 120Mbps, the Draytek router reduces that to about 90Mbps. Ookla speed tests will vary depending on the time of day but will typically hit 80Mbps, either wired or wireless with the R700.

But, in a speed test over my internal LAN, so ignoring any Internet bottlenecks, I can achieve an actual throughput of well over 300Mbps when using an Intel 7260 AC adaptor in my laptop.

So I agree with Fordem, use a network speedtest like iPerf or NetStress, this will itself depend on you LAN, basically whether it’s gigabit or 10/100.
Message 6 of 15
Webheadfred
Aspirant

On my MacBook Pro 2013 I get 124Mbps wireless down and 24Mbps wireless up using on the 5Ghz channels using www.speedtest.net. I have the 105Mbps through Comcast and have no complaints with their service. I am also very happy with my wireless speed. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 15
IrvSp
Master

Guppie1, OK, first, what is your Network Adapter max. speed? If it isn't an N device and G, 50Mbps could be normal. Also you need to be on possibly different channels that do not have interference. Next problem is your WIRED connection. Are you on Windows? If so open the Network and Sharing Center and then the Change Adapter and select your network adapter and Right Mouse Button and select Status. That will tell you the CONNECTION speed to the ROUTER, most recent computers would be 1Gps, but a poor cable could lower that. Also the COLOR on the R7000 port indicator on the front will tell you the same info. iPad, forget getting the Max. The older model have a single antennae and you can get much lower speeds than the ISP provides for you. I have 60Mbps service and an Internet speed test confirms this on the wired and AC speed wireless computer (866Mbps connection), while I get around 30Mbps on an iPad3. It is even lower on the 2.4Mhz signal, but not much. Do not confuse ISP provided speed with connection to the Internet. The connection is between the routers and the wired and wireless devices. As long as it is higher than the ISP provided speed, you're OK. Only 'real' way to test the wireless or wired THROUGHPUT is to measure a file transfer. Some utilities will do this. Windows 8 does the same if you transfer (move or copy) using Windows Explorer from your computer to another or the USB port attached External drive on the router. I'm seeing about 60Mbps between my wired 1Gbps computer the AC Wireless computer. 26Mbps to the USB 2.0 External driver on the R7000 and about 2x that to a USB 3.0 External drive.
Message 8 of 15
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

IrvSp wrote:
Only 'real' way to test the wireless or wired THROUGHPUT is to measure a file transfer. Some utilities will do this. Windows 8 does the same if you transfer (move or copy) using Windows Explorer from your computer to another or the USB port attached External drive on the router.

I'm seeing about 60Mbps between my wired 1Gbps computer the AC Wireless computer. 26Mbps to the USB 2.0 External driver on the R7000 and about 2x that to a USB 3.0 External drive.

Testing using file transfers (as your last paragraph suggests), can result in measurements much lower than the router WiFi is capable of because hard drive read/write rates will come into play.

As I said above I can achieve well over 300Mbps throughput with the R7000 and Intel 7260AC but that is a memory-memory transfer, no HD involved. In my case I believe the limiting factor is that the transfer is partly taking place over an active gigabit wired network. I expect I would get higher rates if I had a single point to point gigabit connection from the router to the server PC.
Message 9 of 15
IrvSp
Master

Mars Mug wrote:
Testing using file transfers (as your last paragraph suggests), can result in measurements much lower than the router WiFi is capable of because hard drive read/write rates will come into play.

As I said above I can achieve well over 300Mbps throughput with the R7000 and Intel 7260AC but that is a memory-memory transfer, no HD involved.

Of course, and there are other components to a transfer as well. Even with a memory to memory transfer. You must consider the CPU moving the data along the bus and through the network adapter, then through the routing of the router itself, as well as the receiving end handling.

Even thinking of a 'plain' browser experience there is no such thing as a given speed. Internet routes change so no two what you think is identical will have the same 'true' speed.

Still, to me, the best measure is transfer time. Heck, even disk reads and writes vary from disk to disk, even SSD's. Memory has different speeds too, and don't forget 'who' puts stuff in the RAM, the CPU, and load of the CPU and the number of active tasks all play into this. The first thing to mentally get over is specified speed which is probably never attainable. 'Real' speed is what matters. Speed generally will be no faster than your lowest speed device.

Note the OP used the word 'normal' and there is no such thing, but it surely isn't 'theoretical' speed. What is 'normal' for me might not be for anyone else due to system variations. Nor are specific transfers/operations, everyone depends on other criteria as well.

A nice 'free' (for now it seems) program is Glasswire. Run it on a PC and see what is using the Internet at any given time... there are a lot of objects active vying for internet access that also effect the apparent speed.
Message 10 of 15
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Fine, but Guppie1 has suggested that in his (or her) case the router WiFi is a bottleneck, and I have pointed out that it need not be the bottleneck they imagine. The reasons why they see such low throughput could be many, but using Internet speedtests as a measure of WiFi throughput is not the best method, the next likely cause of lower throughput is the client device, then the type of data, source / destination, and the volume of data.

I would still say that a LAN-LAN speedtest that uses memory transfer rather than HD transfers will give a better idea of what is attainable, and this will put all other measurements, HD transfers/Internet transfers, into perspective.
Message 11 of 15
fordem
Mentor

IrvSp wrote:
Of course, and there are other components to a transfer as well. Even with a memory to memory transfer. You must consider the CPU moving the data along the bus and through the network adapter, then through the routing of the router itself, as well as the receiving end handling.

Research DMA - Direct Memory Access - memory-to-memory transfers are generally accepted as the best way to measure network thoughput and are used by most if not all of the professional grade test tools.

It should also be noted that, strictly speaking, in a memory-to-memory transfer with bot end points on the same network, the transfer does not pass through the router - routing is only used if the data moves from one network to another.

Message 12 of 15
IrvSp
Master

Andy,
Mars Mug wrote:
Fine, but Guppie1 has suggested that in his (or her) case the router WiFi is a bottleneck, and I have pointed out that it need not be the bottleneck they imagine. The reasons why they see such low throughput could be many, but using Internet speedtests as a measure of WiFi throughput is not the best method, the next likely cause of lower throughput is the client device, then the type of data, source / destination, and the volume of data.

I would still say that a LAN-LAN speedtest that uses memory transfer rather than HD transfers will give a better idea of what is attainable, and this will put all other measurements, HD transfers/Internet transfers, into perspective.

As I reread the OP's statements, it was a question of the internal network. The Network Speed test was different for wired and wireless.

=======
With fixed cable i receive a speed of 83 to internet. So the wifi is still the bottle neck.
How can i test the speed of the internal network?
=======

What we don't know is the wireless device and settings. I know that even a router setting can severely degrade wireless speeds. Under QoS turn off WMM and see what happens if your wireless device should support it.

What I usually do if try and determine the actual transfer speed computer to computer and see if it is reasonable after I run a Network speed test like Ookla.
Message 13 of 15
IrvSp
Master

fordem wrote:
Research DMA - Direct Memory Access - memory-to-memory transfers are generally accepted as the best way to measure network thoughput and are used by most if not all of the professional grade test tools.

It should also be noted that, strictly speaking, in a memory-to-memory transfer with bot end points on the same network, the transfer does not pass through the router - routing is only used if the data moves from one network to another.

Understood, but the OP did ask "How can i test the speed of the internal network?".

Only statement made was Ookla gave results of 83Mbps wired and 50Mbps wireless.

Claim was for Laptop and iPad. I know my iPad's problem is the number of antenna's, I can't get even close to the possible 300Mbps of N and varies greatly on distance and app used to test the network speed (28 - 38Mbps) yet the Netgear Genie on the iPad claims 66Mbps. This is with the ISP 60Mbps service. Genie does show the AC adapter as 866Mbps matching what Windows claims as well, so I assume Genie is correct (on both iPad and PC).

There are some tools the OP can run as well, such as LAN Speed Test (lite) that will give true data (DMA).

To me the 'real time' results with all variables included is more valuable.
Message 14 of 15
LeeH
Prodigy

Try changing the channel you use for 2.4 GHz to something other than channel 1. The Genie app you install on your computer can be used to show you which channels are not being used. I think the primary channels to avoid overlap are 1, 6, and 11. I ended up getting my best throughput on channels 5 and 8 with coexist turned off. You may be experiencing a congested environment with a lot of collisions.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/80211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php

P.S. Uninstall the Genie app after use. It can cause you problems.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements