Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What is the Netgear router with most detailed Internet access log?

newmanv
Guide

What is the Netgear router with most detailed Internet access log?

We want to log all Internet activity. What is the Netgear home router with the most detailed Internet usage / access log? 

Cheers.

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Not sure exactly what you mean by "all internet activity". Even to what details of that activity you want?

You might try contacting Netgear Sales, via phone ((408) 907-8000) or e-mail (sales@netgear.com ) and ask them?

The R7000 has these options for instance:

Include in Log
Attempted access to allowed sites
Attempted access to blocked sites and services
Connections to the Web-based interface of this Router
Router operation (startup, get time etc)
Known DoS attacks and Port Scans
Port Forwarding / Port Triggering
Wireless access
Automatic Internet connection reset

Turn off wireless signal by schedule

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Not sure exactly what you mean by "all internet activity". Even to what details of that activity you want?

You might try contacting Netgear Sales, via phone ((408) 907-8000) or e-mail (sales@netgear.com ) and ask them?

The R7000 has these options for instance:

Include in Log
Attempted access to allowed sites
Attempted access to blocked sites and services
Connections to the Web-based interface of this Router
Router operation (startup, get time etc)
Known DoS attacks and Port Scans
Port Forwarding / Port Triggering
Wireless access
Automatic Internet connection reset

Turn off wireless signal by schedule

Message 2 of 15

Indeed, it is hard to know how to answer a vague question like that, but one query that comes up from time to time is the ability to check the activity of individual devices on a network. In general this does not seem to be possible.

Message 3 of 15
newmanv
Guide

Thank you IrvSp. 

Is that log downloadable? How can it be exported?

For how long the log grows in entries before entries are deleted? Hours? Days? Months? 

I have sent the question to sales as you suggested. 

Thanks a lot.

Message 4 of 15
newmanv
Guide

Thank you  michaelkenward. 

Can you explain more this: "...the ability to check the activity of individual devices on a network. In general this does not seem to be possible". 

Can you tell me more? You think it is not possible?

Message 5 of 15

For how long the log grows in entries before entries are deleted? Hours? Days? Months? 

You can control this.

Most routers/modems have the ability to email you the logs on a schedule, when they get full, or some other cue.

It can be tricky to set up the email, but it works.

Message 6 of 15

If the question means nothing to you, then you can ignore that.

We still don't know what you want to monitor.

Message 7 of 15
newmanv
Guide

OK.

We need a new router. 

We want the new router to be Netgear. 

We want to know what Netgear router has the most detailed Internet access / Internet usage log.

Thanks in advance.

Message 8 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@newmanvwrote:

Thank you IrvSp. 

I have sent the question to sales as you suggested. 

Thanks a lot.

Yes, it is. You can view it via the Browser using Genie as well (and probably on other devices that have Genie apps?).

Logs are sent via e-mail, and can be sent hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, or when full, as a specific day and time if not using the full option.

You can also enable instant notification is someone tries to connect to a blocked site.

Depending on how much 'activity' you have on the network that log can fill before it is set to be sent, I've even had that happen when using daily. I'd suggest either daily or the full option be used depending again, on what your interest is? I've only had partial logs sent a few times though so it is rare it fills before being sent (only the most recent events would show then).

Message 9 of 15

We want to know what Netgear router has the most detailed Internet access / Internet usage log.

What do you want the logs to record?

Message 10 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@newmanvwrote:

OK.

We need a new router. 

We want the new router to be Netgear. 

Thanks in advance.

No offense meant, but that still doesn't offer a full answer to the question. 'Most detailed' is basically meaningless. To what level? What data?

For instance, here is part of my log from the time it sent me e-mail this morning, and I do NOT have all possible content options checked:

=========

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.3)] to MAC address 10:AE:60:57:xx:xx, Wednesday, Feb 21,2018 08:27:21
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.30, Wednesday, Feb 21,2018 08:16:05
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:xx:xx, Wednesday, Feb 21,2018 08:02:19
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.30)] to MAC address F8:B1:56:DD:xx:xx, Wednesday, Feb 21,2018 07:33:58
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wednesday, Feb 21,2018 07:06:00
[Internet connected] IP address: 67.8.xx.xxx, Wednesday, Feb 21,2018 07:06:00
[email sent to: irv@xxxx.com] Wednesday, Feb 21,2018 07:01:02

============

Now that isn't a lot of detail, and again, not all possible options are checked.

Sometimes I'll see stuff like this:

=========

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Feb 20,2018 15:34:41 [Internet connected] IP address: 67.8.95.133, Tuesday, Feb 20,2018 15:34:40 [Internet disconnected] Tuesday, Feb 20,2018 15:34:36 [Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.100.20, Tuesday, Feb 20,2018 15:34:19 [Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.100.20, Tuesday, Feb 20,2018 15:34:09 [Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.100.20, Tuesday, Feb 20,2018 15:33:49 [Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.100.20, Tuesday, Feb 20,2018 15:33:38 [Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.100.20, Tuesday, Feb 20,2018 15:33:28 [Internet disconnected] Tuesday, Feb 20,2018 15:32:44
========================
That is my modem re-booting for instance.

Other times I'll see false DOS Attacks...

So not knowing what you are looking for it is a difficult question to answer. For instance, if you are looking for the name of the program using the Internet I don't think you can get that from the router.

Message 11 of 15
newmanv
Guide

Thanks, this helps a lot. Can you please send me a screen shot showing all the possible options? 

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 12 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@newmanvwrote:

Thanks, this helps a lot. Can you please send me a screen shot showing all the possible options? 

That is what I posted above, and it is for the R7000.

That said, again, it doesn't detail the full data you would see, and hence, the question of what you want to see.

The more data that has to be collected can/might interfere with the operation and speed of the router. Generally speaking about all you'll get is the IP and MAC Address of a device doing what is a selected option is and the time, or a lot of the time just specifying the option that you selected, like sending e-mail with limited data pertaining to that option. DOS Attacks will show the IP Address of the attacker and time but nothing else, not even where it was directed.

Message 13 of 15

The easiest way to look into what you can do is to get the manual for one of Netgear's routers and read that.

Most offer the same logging features.

The most widely used router is probably the R7000.

There is a manual for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Page 151 has a section  View Logs of Router Activity.

If you want to compare that with another router, maybe look at the R7800:

>>> R7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 94.

I mention these because I have variants of them and have used the logs on both.

Message 14 of 15

@IrvSp wrote:

The more data that has to be collected can/might interfere with the operation and speed of the router.

This is important. One recent user found that asking the router to log the traffic on their hardware, using the traffic meter, slowed down their internet connection at the router. They disabled the traffic meter and got the speed they expected.

Another cointrol that can slow down access is the QoS feature.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7