What to do if ReadyShare dissappears from LAN

Pachuco
Novice

What to do if ReadyShare dissappears from LAN

I and, it would seem, many others repeatedly have the issue that ReadyShare doesn't show up on our networks (i.e. typing \\readyshare in Explorer, or start menu search, yields nothing).

Router reboots and change of USB ports didn't resolve the problem for me. My Windows 8.1 x64 bit just reported that "Windows cannot access \\readyshare".

I suspect Netbios limitations to be the key issue but firmware updates may also play a role (I lost connection with the last update).

However, when I've had the issue in Windows I've been able to connect to my drive using ftp and through Android.

I just found Netgear's suggestion to try the following addresses:
\\readyshare.routerlogin.net
\\readyshare.routerlogin.com
\\IP_address_of_router (e.g. \\192.168.1.1)

In addition to these, I would add:

and, if you have access to Android (or a Mac):
smb://readyshare

Each of the above worked for me and - hopefully - will help others. I am now able, again, to map ReadyShare folders. I saved the addresses as shortcuts to make it easier for next time...

Judged by how frequently users have this this issue, Netscape should update its manual and include this under chapter 14 Troubleshooting.
Message 1 of 12
madaudio
Aspirant

Re: What to do if ReadyShare dissappears from LAN

Readyshare has disappeared from my WIndows Explorer Navigation pane.

When I try the first 3 address you suggested I get a Network Error Windows message box:

Network error.jpg

The FTP address worked, but that involved actually physically downloading the file from the HDD attached to the router to my local drive.  Fine if you just want to quickly check out a picture or read a small spreadsheet or Word document.

Not so fine if you want to play a 3MB+ video.

And I am unclear as to whether this process is downloading a copy of the file, or is transferring the file itself off the HDD attached to the router and onto my local drive

???

Message 2 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi @madaudio,

Welcome to Community!

Can you try the following steps.

1. Disable antivirus and firewall. If it will not work process to 2.

2. Check if "Client for Microsoft Network" is enabled. If it is not then check no. 3.

3. Check for the "MICROSOFT 6to4 ADAPTER"

• Go to Control Panel
  • Device manager
  • Hight light Network Adapters
  • Click View
  • In the expanded view you will see a long list of numbered "MICROSOFT 6to4 ADAPTER". Right click and select "DELETE" until only one item remains.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 3 of 12
madaudio
Aspirant

Tried disablling the AVG firewall:  made no difference.  In any case, it worked for months with this firewall.  It stopped working around the same time I had to get rd of a couple of programs, including one that kept playing random audio advertisements for random products, and also had to re-install the driver for my Netgear wifi dongle.

Where do I check for "Client for Microsoft Server"?  Poked around in all the Network settings I could find, did a useless search for it in windows help?

In Device manager, my network adapters list does not show any "MICROSOFT 6to4 ADAPTER", not even when I use the View menu and ask to show hidden devices

Message 4 of 12
madaudio
Aspirant

Meant to add that on going to Advanced Network sharing choices, I have many times set the option to for Network Discovery to On, saved the change, but every time I go back it is set to Off. (Windows Home Premium 64 bit)

Also, when accessing the Readyshare settings for the Router (Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 model R7000, firmware up to date) either from the Genie wizard, or through logging in to the router, I get a little picture of a router and hard drive with the usb cable showing as not connected, and a message requesting I make sure the USB drive is connected.

Yet, elsewhere in router settings, it shows the hard drive as recognised, named and storage capacity shown correctly.  My Blu-ray player and my android tablet also both, using wifi, can find this drive and stream photos, music and videos without any hitches.

Also when I click on Network in Windows Explorer, it shows, amongst other things, an icon named R7000 with a media symbol on it.  When double-clicked it opens windows media player, which lists the R7000 as a media library source, and shows all the files, but WMP reports itself unable to play any of the music or video files, although it will display photo files.  I might add that WMP DOES play these music files directly from my computer's own hard drive.

While the Title column in WMP displays the title of these files (on the drive connected to the router)correctly, it shows some strange stuff for the file names such as:

135.flac?WMContentFeatures=DLNA.ORG_OP=o1;DLNA.

Message 5 of 12
JamesGL
Master

@madaudio,

Below is the screenshot on how to check for the "Client for Microsoft Server". If you cannot find it, it might be the reason why you cannot see the readyshare as well as cannot do file sharing with other devices in the network.

Client.png

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 6 of 12
madaudio
Aspirant

Ah yes, recognise that.  Have been there, done that.  Double checked again, and for each bandwidth of my router, that check box (for Client for Microsoft Server) is checked.  I presume it should be?

Brings us to the third suggestion you made re the "Microsoft 6to4 adapter" under Network Adapters.  As stated, not only do I not have many of those, I do not even have one such item listed:

Network Settings.jpg

Message 7 of 12
JamesGL
Master

@madaudio,

I forgot to mention to click on show hidden devices after clicking on "View". Please check if you can see the "Microsoft 6to4 adapter".

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 8 of 12
madaudio
Aspirant

I had in fact already done that, but still no "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, let alone many of them:

Network Settings2.jpg

I would once again draw attention to the fact that my computer sees the R7000 under Network, but only as a Windows Media Player device.And that device won't read most of my video files.

Network3.jpg

Also in Network and Sharing, Advanced Sharing, everytime I turn on "Turn Network Discovery On" to ON, and Save, when I come back to this setting, it is turned off again.

My Oppo blu-ray player is able to stream from the R7000 no probs, no buffering or stuttering, even with 1080p video and 5.1 sound track videos (this is all over wifi) and my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro file manager also picks up and streams over wifi, no prob.

It is windows explorer that no longer shows Readyshare under Network, where it used to show either as USB Storage or R7000.

Message 9 of 12
JamesGL
Master

@madaudio,

I guess we have isolated the issue with your computer. As you have mentioned "Turn Network Discovery On" is disabled even you tried to turn it ON. And also other devices were able to communicate with your readyshare. I would suggest to check it with Microsoft or the manufacturer of your computer.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 10 of 12
madaudio
Aspirant

I am mostly inclined to agree with that, but there is the issue of the Netgear Genie Readyshare function asking me to plug in a hard drive to the router:  this suggests that the router or Genie software has a problem, especially when I go to the router login and  access the USB functions under Advanced settings recognises the USB drive, and under Basic settings, in Readyshare, again the Hard Drive is recognised as connected, but Genie Readyshare thinks there isn't any USB drive plugged in.  This is regardless of whether the hard drive is plugged in to the front or rear USB port.  Also even a USB stick drive does not register in the Genie.

Message 11 of 12
JamesGL
Master

@madaudio,

May I know what is the version of your Desktop Genie. Please try to uninstall and reinstall the Genie.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E