Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: When I do a speed test through my R7000 my speed gets cut in half.

acecryz
Aspirant

When I do a speed test through my R7000 my speed gets cut in half.

I tested my connection to the main modem/router wired all of my wires are at least cat 5e and my speed are about 900mbps (local) which is right about where I expect it to be. However when I connect it to my netgear r7000 my speed gets cut in half around 450mbps.I currently have it running on router mode. I switched off QoS and WMM. I also updated to the lastest firmware at this time (V1.0.9.42_10.2.44). Any help is greatly appreaciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
acecryz
Aspirant

I decided to get a small switch instead, I get to keep my 900 mbps and my wifi. Sadly, I can't access routerlogin.net anymore though my pc.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 16

All Replies
shamarin
Virtuoso

Try the previous build 1.0.9.34. FW 1.0.9.42 is buggy.

Message 2 of 16
StickyNote
Guide

Go back to V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 firmware make sure to do a reset after the flash. Set the corret time and complete the setup test it. I could not get 1.0.9.34 to function 100 percent or the latest release firmware either. Netgear made some changes to the GUI in the firmware 1.0.9.34. Messed up the time sync.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 16
shamarin
Virtuoso

Sync time is not missed up, it's just moved to new place schedule section

Message 4 of 16
StickyNote
Guide

Sync time is messed up. For the router I have R7000 it would keep the correct time for aprox 24 hours or less than. Then the performace along with the correct time became an issue. 

Message 5 of 16
shamarin
Virtuoso

Go to advansed setting tab and then to security - schedule. Here you can setup your time zone and NTP server via witch router will sync date and time.

Message 6 of 16
StickyNote
Guide

Not asking how to. Read your person messages in the community mail. 

Message 7 of 16
acecryz
Aspirant

I decided to get a small switch instead, I get to keep my 900 mbps and my wifi. Sadly, I can't access routerlogin.net anymore though my pc.

Message 8 of 16
antinode
Guru

> I tested my connection to the main modem/router [...]

What, exactly, is your "the main modem/router"?

> [...] However when I connect it to my netgear r7000 my speed gets cut
> in half around 450mbps. [...]

"my speed" measured how, exactly, on what, connected how, to what?

Why add the R7000?

> [...] I currently have it running on router mode. [...]

A wireless access point might make more sense than a second router.

> I decided to get a small switch instead, [...]

And connected it to what?

> [...] Sadly, I can't access routerlogin.net anymore though my pc.

Where your "my pc" is connected how, to what?

Message 9 of 16
acecryz
Aspirant

What, exactly, is your "the main modem/router"?

My Main modem/router is a ISP given modem/router. it is just called a "ISP name here" WiFi Gigabit Router AC Plus.

"my speed" measured how, exactly, on what, connected how, to what? 

I used to different speedtests, one is the ookla speed test and I connected it to the server of my ISP. The second one I used is the ISP given speedtest. (Both give the same result as they are probably connecting to the same server.)

Why add the R7000?

I needed the R7000 to get better coverage around the house, it is connected using the house wall enternet port which I connected one to the main router.

[...] I currently have it running on router mode. [...]

I have changed it to router mode however, it doesn't change my speeds getting cut to half.

my connection with the issue is basically

ISP modem ----> Wall Ethernet ------> R7000 ------> Desktop PC

With this configuration I get a max of 450mbps

I tried to see if my house Ethernet wiring was the problem so I did this connection.

ISP modem ----> Wall Ethernet -----> Desktop PC

My speeds are correct to the typical speeds my ISP offers which is around 829.75Mbps - 979.46Mbps (1gbps plan)

And connected it to what?

Now I have my connection as 

ISP modem -----> Wall Ethernet ----- TP-link TL-SG105-----Port 1 to Desktop PC----- Port 2 to R7000

There is clearly a problem with the R7000 where it cuts the speed in half and I don't know why as my house Ethernet wiring is fine when I test my speeds plugged directly into my Desktop.

Message 10 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@acecryz wrote:

That's not a solution - now you have to isolated networks.

As you appear to have a provider modem/router doing NAT already, I hardly understand why one does buy and install yet another NAT router. A switch, some network cables to different locations of your house, and some inexpensive wireless access points. That would make up a path to solution towards better wireless coverage.

Message 11 of 16
acecryz
Aspirant

Connected to my R7000Connected to my R7000Connected to my  tp-link TL-SG105Connected to my tp-link TL-SG105

Here are the speeds I'm getting.

Message 12 of 16
acecryz
Aspirant

@schumaku

I don't have isolated networks as I now run my R7000 in AP mode. I bought a R7000 because I was sick and tired of cheap access points I thought getting a decent netgear one would solve my problem. For the most part it did. You just come here and insult my purchase and ignore the fact that this router shouldn't be CUTTING MY SPEED IN HALF. "I HARDLY UNDERSTAND WHY DOES ONE COMMENT IGNORING THE MAIN PROBLEM."

Message 13 of 16
schumaku
Guru

The AP mode on these consumer routers suffer in many aspects. Often the Gigabit Ethernet ports aren't performing at full speed, because of some hardware acceleration isn't available (or used) by the firmware in AP mode, why ever: The GbE ports are handled as individual ports by the firmware, and are not configured for using the fast hardware switch. It's an internal design of the past, see also the need to disable the QoS when operating in router mode on fast Internet connections. That's probably exactly the point that hits your R7000 installation. 

And sorry, there was no indication that your R7000 is operating in AP mode.

Message 14 of 16
MustangMally
Tutor

I had the same problem. I did the firmware retro install to V1.07.12 but it made no difference so I decided to have a play with the settings. I disabled QOS and it fixed it!!!   Back to full speed.

Message 15 of 16
pcallies
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with my router.  I've got it set up the same way you do @acecryz: running in AP mode, hardwired to my ISP gateway via ethernet.  I do it for the same reason you do: to get better coverage on a different floor of my house.

This configuration used to work great, but now is terrible.  I've tried upgrading and downgrading firmware.  I've updated my NTP settings.  Nothing has worked.  Super frustrating!

FWIW, Comcast is my ISP.  I wonder if they changed something in their gateway software that is interfering with the R7000.

I don't have a solution.  I just wanted to commiserate and validate the legitimacy of your desired configuration.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7