When is it 'time' to replace a router??

TexasIndian
Tutor

When is it 'time' to replace a router??

("Smart")  the router, definitely NOT me!!

* bought Nov 2014 (told this was "top-of-the-line")

* manual has "Nov 2013" printed on back page

* in last 3 years, cable co. changed from Insight>TimeWarner>Spectrum

* have replaced modem 7 times, most recently last week

* whereas THIS modem (Hitron) doesn't have several lights like

all the others (just Power+Online); previous modems & router 

lights blink constantly...much too often requiring "refresh"  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: When is it 'time' to replace a router??

I still have an R7000 in service thats been runing 24/7 for almost 3 yrs.  Ports, LED, wireless, everything still works.  Has great broadcast range and performs very well.  For the most part, it meets my needs and I like its 3 antenna symetrical design. I just purchased a R8000P on Labor Day this week.  For now, my R7000 is sitting next to it powered off.  On a temporary vacation while I test the R8000P out.    

You don't have to replace a router that is running reliably and continuing to meet your needs.  Wired performance won't vary between older and newer models.  The exception might be if you have a NAS device that had two NICs which supported teaming.  In that case, upgrading to a router that supported link aggregation would be a worth while purchase.

Wireless performance.  Are you getting the range you need from your current device.  Do you have any dead spots in your house?  A newer router might help mitigate or eliminate this. 

Connection speed.  Do you have devices that exceed the connection speed capabilities of your existing wireless.  Example, an older N band router will not deliver the same connection speeds regardless of how fast your internet might be.  A newer router will deliver in both speed and performance.  But there is a  catch.  There is no compelling reason to upgrade if your devices are unable to take full advantage of the available bandwidth.  (Example) Theoretical bandwidth is the maximum speed your wireless is capable of.  This may differ greatly from the actual speeds you devices might be able to realistically achieve.

I would take all of these things into consideration before buying something new.  Hope this helps.     

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3

Re: When is it 'time' to replace a router??

I'm with @shadowsports.

What firmware version do you have on the R7000?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

By the way "lights blink constantly" could mean anything or nothing. Which lights? Some of them are supposed to flash constantly. It is a sign that they are working and that traffic is flowing

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements