Which SSIDs?

zendot
Follower

Which SSIDs?

Hi...

Sorry if this has been asked before: I scanned the thread titles and searched on "-5G', but couldn't find anything.

I am connecting a number of devices (two iMacs, three iPads, four iPhones, two PCs and a printer) to my new R7000 router. Some of these devices see both NETGEARnn and NETGEARnn-5G and others see only NETGEARnn. For those that see both NETGEARnn and NETGEARnn-5G, I have connected them to both and left them connected to NETGEARnn-5G. For those that see only NETGEARnn, I have connected them to that.

Is that appropriate?

Thanks...
Message 1 of 2
rda990
Tutor

Re: Which SSIDs?

Yes that is appropriate. The "NETGEARnn" is the 2.4Ghz network, which BOTH 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz compatible devices can see. The "NETGEARnn-5G" is the 5Ghz, which only 5Ghz compatible devices can see.

5Ghz compatible devices will be newer computers, iPhone 5, iPads, and Android phones.

2.4Ghz will be older devices such as the iPhone 3G/3GS/4, older Android phones, and gaming systems (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii).

For the devices that CAN see the 5G network, connect them to that. The ones that CANNOT see the 5G network aren't compatible with them, so you're forced to use the 2.4GHz network for them.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E