Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which is the most reliable firmware update for the R7900P — Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Route

Yournumbersup
Aspirant

Which is the most reliable firmware update for the R7900P — Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Route

I need to update the firmware on my Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router. My current firmware version is:
V1.4.0.10_1.2.14. Could some let me know which version is the most stable? Thank you

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Which is the most reliable firmware update for the R7900P — Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi R

Truthfully? the majority work fine.

You see a lot of complaints about firmware because this is where people come with issues. Most devices work fine. I'd do the latest update following how I suggested it. Most don't have an issue. If you're one of the unlucky few who do, you can downgrade easily. Especially if you made a backup.

The most complained about firmware and device is the R7000. but if you look at reviews, it does great. But Netgear sells a ton of them so even if only a few percentage points have issues, we see it on the forums. Its tough to keep in mind of members of the forum because we see it frequently. 

Like I said, I'd try the update and see how it works for you. You could even try the auto-update. I'm not a fan of it because when we see corrupt firmware on here its either a result of auto update or updating over wifi. But it does work. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
labatt
Mentor

Re: Which is the most reliable firmware update for the R7900P — Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi R

Why do you say you need to update? If working I might stay where I am. 

Quality of Netgear firmware recently, last year or so, has been shaky at best and and worst breaks or removes features. Not sure about your router, but Netgear is putting Armor in their latest which also removes DLNA server and Time Machine plus others. 

Message 2 of 6
Yournumbersup
Aspirant

That is what I is what I was concerned about. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You're several version behind. If you weren't using  itunesServer, kwilt photo sharing, time machine, tivo, downloader, then I'd try the upgrade. Most users didn't have issues but those that did, we usually have downgrade to the version prior to them being removed. 

Also, people have had the best luck when they upgrade of a hardwired connect, factory reset afterwards, and then do a manual install. I specify manual because it seems backup configurations seemed to cause issues when those features were removed. 

You could always take a backup configuration and if the upgrade does cause you issues, downgrade back down and re-install the backup. would make the downgrade go faster for your. 

Message 4 of 6
Yournumbersup
Aspirant

What is the firmware that you think works the best? I have had other Netgear routers that did not work well with later updates.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Truthfully? the majority work fine.

You see a lot of complaints about firmware because this is where people come with issues. Most devices work fine. I'd do the latest update following how I suggested it. Most don't have an issue. If you're one of the unlucky few who do, you can downgrade easily. Especially if you made a backup.

The most complained about firmware and device is the R7000. but if you look at reviews, it does great. But Netgear sells a ton of them so even if only a few percentage points have issues, we see it on the forums. Its tough to keep in mind of members of the forum because we see it frequently. 

Like I said, I'd try the update and see how it works for you. You could even try the auto-update. I'm not a fan of it because when we see corrupt firmware on here its either a result of auto update or updating over wifi. But it does work. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7