Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which mesh extender for 6700v3

Bumblebeerx8
Aspirant

Which mesh extender for 6700v3

Hello I currently have a 6700v3 router and am needing to add a mesh extender to pick up spotty wifi to a few google home products. The closest plug to 2 cameras, 1 doorbell, 2 speakers is about 60 ft and through 1 brick wall. That plug is about 100ft from the router itself down in the basement through 1 door.

There are other items in range but are easly picked up by the router itself. And model recommendations?

Also will one mesh router link to another or do the mesh router have to link to the main router only? Thinking future when I do a shop outside a few hundred feet away.
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Which mesh extender for 6700v3

Brick is great at blocking wifi. wireless is going to struggle with it because it attenuates the signal so much. 

You can try different extenders. I usually recommend the triband line of extenders because they don't take such a speed hit as the single/dual band extenders do. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/

In terms of mesh. Depending on the system you buy, many do support daisy chaining where you can connect a satellite to a satellite. 

but I will warn you, "several hundred feet" is more than likely out of range for even a mesh system. I'd look into using a point to point system like netgears airbridge. There's cheaper versions on amazon as well. 

Message 2 of 4
Bumblebeerx8
Aspirant

If the distance is a issue I'm not concerned with trying to get a signal to a out building in the future. Can you recommend one that will fit the needs of being at the furthest point in the house within range of our 6700 and be suitable to handling 2 cameras and 2 speaker. They will be on the exterior of the house within 50 feet at most. Would a basic plug in ex7500 fit the bill or would something more extravagant be in order. Would hate to just try things.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I can't tell you 100% what will work decent. Like I said, brick blocks wifi well. 

But the EX7500 is a solid option to try. 

Keep in mind with extenders that you don't want them at the furthest point because they still need a signal to work. 

You want them halfway between where the router is and where you need signal. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25508/Where-should-I-place-my-NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-range-extender

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7