Which way should I go?

Kolvig
Novice

Which way should I go?

Hi...

I am being to old to all this wifi abcdefg..... And I have really trouble to understand the most basic things to setup a Wireless Network. - Because of that I hope I can get some help to decide which way I should go?

Yesterday I ordered the Router R7000 and also the 2 x AP EX6200, because I live in a big house and I am extremely tired of my cheap Routers and AP, there lags like hell .... One hour after my orders I see the Router R8000 is out for sale in US and it should arrive here in Europe (Denmark) next month.....

It's very typical for me to buy something and then find out right after, that there could be a much better way, or?... :-)

There are many meanings of this R8000, but after my opinion I think it would be a great Router, when updates resolves the birth problems...

Like I said is my house fairly big, but I have a "sweet spot" for the Router right in the middle of the house. So I Wonder if I should cancel the order of the R7000 and 2 x EX6200 and only get one R8000 when it arrives, here in Denmark?.... It will be a relief if I only should setup one router. - I sweat already when I think to setup the other solution....

The Things there is important to know about the house, is there are 3 brick walls and about 15 meters or about 45feet to the rooms furthest away from the Router and this is to all the sides of the house..... The phones and tablets in the house can all handle wifi ac and 3 Laptops can only handle wifi n

Please make me happy and tell me that you think I can just purchase the R8000 and it should be enough to my house!?... :-).... No, I surely will be happy, but of course I would like you to be honest, which way you think it would be the best way to go...:-)

In advance, many thanks for your comments
Message 1 of 11
cldeal
Guide

Re: Which way should I go?

How many levels and how many square feet does your house have?
Message 2 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Brick will definetely an issues as it will absorb the signal

Center of the house is a good start . If you are trying to keep 802.11ac speed then extender might be want you want additionally

Or power line device with wifi built-in alternative

R8000 has more antenna so it may help but material in the house will reduce so I would.d start off with just router and do some wifi survey then purchase other parts as need it
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 11
Kolvig
Novice

If I understand you correctly, then you will go for the R8000 and if I get problems with the range, then I should go for 2 x EX6200 also?

The problem with the solution above, is that it would be very expensive..... And I have the feeling that one R7000 with 2 x EX6200 can do the job nearly as well?..... Do not misunderstand me, I would really love to have a R8000 inside my home, but on the other hand I would like to find the cheapest/best overall solution.....
Message 4 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

R7000 probably do the job but unfortunately every person lives is different enviorment so I would single router first and do the wireless survey and see how bad it is where signal is

Best is to have Ethernet cable to each areas and AP unit
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have a r8000 and it's no better in my experience than a R7000 running .60 FW which I also have. In fact I got both for nothing and prefer the r7000 hands down. I would buy 2 r7000's and use 2nd in AP Mode which will require a cat xx cable between them. If the cable is a problem, then you should in my opinion do whatever it takes to run a cable. The R8000 is a waste of money unless you can cover all your home with one device. Here's why! The r8000 has two 5g radios and if you plan on using 5g AC mode you cannot use both radios and a 5g AC AP.There are only 2 5g channels if you're using AC mode and if you needed to add a AP you couldn't without creating your own contention. So spending $300 for a device which needs a additional device to completely cover the home is a waste seeing how you would have to disable one of the 5g radios. Lastly the ping response still suxs. Pinging the router from any one of the 3 radios is 2~3 ms while the r7000 and every other Netgear router I have seen is typically less than 1ms. Many on this forum have already made their opinions known regarding ping response so I'd rather not open that can of worms again. It does have six antennas and I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that's to separate the two 5g radios. I don't think all six are used together or are dynamically switched to aim signals toward clients.
Message 6 of 11
Kolvig
Novice

Thank you very much to both of you.... :-)

I have actually CAT7 cable to nearly each room in the house. So I have no problem to make the connection you both recommend......

But now I am a Little confused, because I was told from a local store, that it is better to have extenders instead of cable connected Access Point?..... It was the reason that I choose to order 1 x R7000 and 2 x Netgear EX6200 in the first place..

It would really help me alot, if one of you can help me to understand which way to go with AP or extenders?..... Tomorrow the extenders been delivered, but if I should go the AP way, I can choose to let the post carrier take the extenders with him back to the store. So please let me be learn more very quickly.... :-)

Thank you
Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would start shopping at a different store. As far as I know no consumer WIFI is better than a Wired connection to a AP. Extenders/repeaters use same channel as primary router in most cases I believe and that being the case you already take a 50% hit on published speeds. You rarely see a post from a user on this board whining about his AP not working correcting. The forums are littered with Bridges, extenders and or repeaters dropping connections.
Message 8 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

But now I am a Little confused, because I was told from a local store, that it is better to have extenders instead of cable connected Access Point?..... It was the reason that I choose to order 1 x R7000 and 2 x Netgear EX6200 in the first place..

Someone is just trying to sell the items.

Using access point connected to existing network will be always good.

Repeater, extender that connect wirelessly to existing wireless will always looses the performance .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 11
Kolvig
Novice

Okay thank you Again..

I go for 2 x R7000 and hope these 2 can cover the house