Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

While solving Nighthawk R7000 slow internet over ethernet issue, I can no longer log into router!

kiwifilm
Aspirant

While solving Nighthawk R7000 slow internet over ethernet issue, I can no longer log into router!

For some time my r7000 could not carry full speed internet over ethernet while it was OK on wifi - Over wifi I could get 100 Mbps / 20 Mbps, but over ethernet it dropped to a miserable 15 Mbps / 10 Mbps.

At the same time, my file transfer over the network were significantly faster over ethernet than wifi while internet over ethernet was running a 15% compared to wifi.

I need to fix this issue and so eslewhere in these and other forums I saw several posts saying that backslushing firmware to V1.0.7.12_1.2.5 just might work. So I tried this. Unfortunately I forgot to factory reset BEFORE backslushing! 

Good News: My r7000 is still working and I can now get 100 / 20 over both wifi and ethernet and file tranfers over ethernet rock like a rocket.

Bad News: I can no longer logon to the router. I have:

1. tried my old password (and several others previously used
  2. tried factory default admin / password
  3. tried accessing using my set IP,  as well as www.routerlogin.com and www.routerlogin.net, and repeating steps 1~2
  4. performed factory reset by holding reset button for over 7 seconds
  5. repeat steps 1~3
  6. tried various powwer off cycles and resets including the "30 30 30" trick also found in these forums -  i.e. disconnect all cables except power, then press reset for 30 seconds, disconnect power, still holding reset for 30 seconds, reconnect power and continue holding reset for 30 seconds.
  7. prepeat steps 1~3

Still locked out. The strange thing is, all my previous settings seem to have remained in tact; My IP remains the same as I set (not default), my wifo settings / passwords still work, my DHCP assignments of IP by MAC address, port forwarding and so on all seem to be working. So the factory reset is NOT having any effect.

And oddly, as mentioned above the wifi internet speed is fixed. So I have solved one problem but created another, I suspect because I didn't reset before backslushing firmware.

Can anyone suggest how I can hack myseld back into this router? I am still reconfiguring the network and really need to get admin acess or else I may as well condiser this router a brick as I cannot finish this configuration.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 3

Re: While solving Nighthawk R7000 slow internet over ethernet issue, I can no longer log into router

@kiwifilm wrote:

Can anyone suggest how I can hack myseld back into this router? I am still reconfiguring the network and really need to get admin acess or else I may as well condiser this router a brick as I cannot finish this configuration.

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Is the Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0 listed in your footer involved in this in anyway? Or did you just click the first thing that popped up when you wrote your message?

Message 2 of 3
kiwifilm
Aspirant

Re: While solving Nighthawk R7000 slow internet over ethernet issue, I can no longer log into router

The r7000 is connected directly to the "Optical Network Terminal" box as supplied (and branded) by the cable line company. This has a single ethernet port to connect as uplink to the router and as connected by the cable provider.

Sorry about the mis-identified product. My eyesight not so good these days 😉 Now corrected below.

Still working through the various troubleshooting tasks. Will revert.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7