Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why did my router require a password change?

OneCoolCat
Initiate

Why did my router require a password change?

Starting this morning, every device connected to my Wifi network started redirecting webpages to routerlogin.com.  There it required a change to the router admin password and to input answers for security questions.  I cannot even access the router control page (192.168.0.1).

Why did this happen?  Has the firmware been updated?

If this procedure has been implemented by Netgear, it is an extremely bad one.  For security reasons, it is not reasonable to force users on to an unknown web address and require them to input a password change.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: Why did my router require a password change?

@OneCoolCat wrote:

Has the firmware been updated?

Not if you have the C7000. That is a cable modem/router and is under the control of your (unnamed) Internet service provider. Maybe they changed it, but that is highly unlikely.

@OneCoolCat wrote:

If this procedure has been implemented by Netgear, it is an extremely bad one. 

Netgear has no control over your modem/router (see above).

What else is on your network?

@OneCoolCat wrote:

I cannot even access the router control page (192.168.0.1).

How are you going about that? Wired connection? Wifi?

Message 2 of 7
OneCoolCat
Initiate

Thank you for the reply.  My home network is only WiFi.  I have no wired connections.  After no success of accessing the internet, and with a lot of discomfort, I changed the admin password using the routerlogin.com web address I was persistently forwarded to.  After that, I was allowed access to the internet again and could access the router using the ip address.  I have now changed the password back.

Any ideas why this happened?  I would like to understand what occured here.

Message 3 of 7

The redirecting routerlogin.com can happen when you are trying to login to the router's graphical user interface. But that should not get in the way of ordinary operation.

routerlogin.com is just the local address that your modem/router uses by default. It should get you to the same place as 192.168.0.1.

My first  move would have been to reboot the modem/router and see if it was a temporary glitch.

@OneCoolCat wrote:

My home network is only WiFi. 

Always a bit worrying. Wifi is never the most reliable way of controlling things, but at least in your case you won't have to face problems with firmware updates. That is certainly something to avoid.

It isn't clear to me which password failed. Wifi or router management.

Message 4 of 7
Rs8345
Aspirant

for a week I have been sent in person change loops and denied access to my routers

Message 5 of 7
Rs8345
Aspirant

For a week, I have been sent in loops to reset the password, netgear wants $300 to answer or help, routers are directly connected with no Wi-Fi access, because could not access them without disconnecting from network. 

Message 6 of 7

@Rs8345 wrote:

For a week, I have been sent in loops to reset the password, netgear wants $300 to answer or help,,,

Let me guess, you did a web search for Netgear support and ended up calling something you found there.

It almost certain was not Netgear.

As to your problem, which seems to have not much to do with the one that started this discussion, you have joined in on an existing conversation from two years ago that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7