Re: Why do I have to reboot almost weekly?

keredd1010
Aspirant

Why do I have to reboot almost weekly?

At least once a week, sometimes more, my internet connection drops to below 10mbps when I normally get about 118mbps. I usually find out when I go download sometimes and notice it is taking an extraoridinarily long time. I have tried updating the firmware, rolling back the firmware, spreading the connections to use as many 5.0ghz bandwidht as possible and still same issue. It's very frustrating because when the router is working correctly it is excellent and would love to recommend it to folks (I work in IT) but as it is now there is no way I could and save face. Of course a reboot fixes but there is no way I should be having to reboot this router once a week> once a month I could live with but this is out of hand. I would be very surprised if I was the only one who was facing this issue. All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

if you swap firmwares around, you have to perform a factory reset each time. This is almost mandatory for NETGEAR routers. 

So, choose a firmware version and after flashing do a factory reset, then enter the config manually. Do not restore from a saved config file as it defeats the purpose of factory reset

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 6

@microchip8 wrote:

if you swap firmwares around, you have to perform a factory reset each time. This is almost mandatory for NETGEAR routers. 

Not really. Many people happily change firmware without needing to reset.

It is, though, recommended whenever someone experiences post-flash problems.

When you do need to reset, reloading saved settings can revive bugs and is best avoided.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 6
keredd1010
Aspirant

@microchip8 wrote:

So, choose a firmware version and after flashing do a factory reset, then enter the config manually. Do not restore from a saved config file as it defeats the purpose of factory reset

OK, I will give it a shot. I have a lot of custom settings so it will be a bit of a pain but it will be worth it if it stops the frequent need for reboots. 

Message 4 of 6
keredd1010
Aspirant

Well I finally got around to resetting the router and unfortunately the problem still persists. For some reason after a while, usually a week or so, it starts to lose about 25 to 30% of it's output potential which pretty much kills my family room main TV for 4k streaming. I realize in the grand scheme of things it is a minor inconvenience. Heck, sometimes if I was lucky I would go a whole two weeks without having to reboot it.  Not sure if this helps but this is the version of the firmware I have on there now:

Firmware Version
V1.3.1.44_10.1.23

I only rolled it back because I thought it would fix this issue (I probably already said that buts it been a while since I replied to this thread) . But if anybody knows how I can resolve this permanently it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 5 of 6
Catarina73
Aspirant

WHY CAN'T MY AMAZON ECHOS CONNECT TO ROUTER?

Dec. 3, 2019: I purchased my router a couple of months ago and have been trying to get it to work with my amazon echo but...no luck. Before I give up an purchase a different brand I'd like to ask if anyone can help me.  I actually need more routers for my office but since these cannot be connected I'll look elsewhere.  I cannot download books from Amazon because there needs to be a wifi connection...I don't understand. I moved from one town to another - could not find my original router from Optimum so purchased NetGear...even the TV tech. could not get it connected to my Amazon Echo.  Is there any solution? If not, please let me know.  I have a password...but don't know how to solve this problem. Thanks.

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E