Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why do I have to reboot my Nighthawk X6 R8000 every week

JImbo1225
Aspirant

Why do I have to reboot my Nighthawk X6 R8000 every week

Why is it that I have to reboot my router at least once a week? I was told this is a good router, but I am having my doubts. What can be done to fix this?

Message 1 of 4

Re: Why do I have to reboot my Nighthawk X6 R8000 every week

@JImbo1225 wrote:

Why is it that I have to reboot my router at least once a week?

Why do you reboot it? To solve some sort of problem?

What firmware version do you have on the R8000?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 4
JImbo1225
Aspirant

I apologize as my information was incomplete. The reason I am rebooting each week is that all of my devices on WiFi are not able to connect to the Internet. The connection drops - first I can usually tell by my cell phone, and then other WiFi devices will lose their Internet connection. I have checked for the latest firmware - presently the version shows as V1.0.4.62_10.1.74. I have reset the modem to factory specs and still have this issue. I understand that a reboot is needed when there is a new firmware version, but I feel I should not have to reboot literally every week.

Message 3 of 4

@JImbo1225 wrote:

The reason I am rebooting each week is that all of my devices on WiFi are not able to connect to the Internet. The connection drops - first I can usually tell by my cell phone, and then other WiFi devices will lose their Internet connection.

Is it just the wifi that dies, or the whole Internet?

What do the LEDs on the device show when this happens, particularly the wifi LEDs.

Do you have anything wired to the router? If so, does that also go off line?

@JImbo1225 wrote:

I have checked for the latest firmware - presently the version shows as V1.0.4.62_10.1.74.

Unfortunately, latest is not always greatest. It may be that an earlier version is more stable.

@JImbo1225 wrote:

I understand that a reboot is needed when there is a new firmware version, but I feel I should not have to reboot literally every week.

No, you should not have to reboot the thing.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7