Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why does Netgear fail to provide free DDNS but Asus always has and still does?

WangDangDoodle
Follower

Why does Netgear fail to provide free DDNS but Asus always has and still does?

I have an Asus router (have used them for years) but was looking to go to the Netgear Mesh system, since it's highly reviewed.  However, Asus offers a free DDNS service, enabling me to access my webcams from my cell phone.  Netgear does not, instead offering NoIP as a 'free' DDNS that in fact requires answering monthly nagmail to renew it (i.e., it's free from $$ but not free from hassle and time).

Is there a reason Netgear is such a clear loser in this arena?  Of course, I will not be changing from Asus for this reason, but it seems odd no one mentions this as a reason to choose Asus over other routers.  Am I missing something?  What do all those people with webcams out there do to look at their cameras?  Am I the only one NOT paying for DDNS service?

Message 1 of 2
Deihmos
Guide

Re: Why does Netgear fail to provide free DDNS but Asus always has and still does?

I completely agree especially becausenthe router cost so much money. The DDNS wasn't always nagware but noip changed the terms we orginally signed up for and netgear allowed it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7