Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFI6 not showing on any devices that are compatible

cahowell
Guide

WiFI6 not showing on any devices that are compatible

Good morning, I have the new RAXE500 router upgraded from the XR500 and no matter what I do, I cannot get the WiFi6 network to show up. I know this is a WiFi6e router and I do not have any compatible devices for the 6e band, however I have 3 compatible devices for the WiFi6 standard. I have a PS5, Samsung Galaxy s10, and new Razer Blade laptop. Will my WiFi6 devices not detect this new network simply becasue it uses the newer E standard? If the latter is the case, can the E portion of the new WiFi6e standard be disabled so my WiFi6 capible devices can detect and utilize this new network? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFI6 not showing on any devices that are compatible

A wifi 6 device will be able to use the RAXE's 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals. Not its 6ghz.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello cahowell,

Welcome to the community! May you let me know what firmware version you currently have installed and whether you have Armor enabled or not? 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 13
cahowell
Guide

My apologies,

Hardware VersionRAXE500

Firmware VersionV1.0.6.64_2.0.35

GUI Language Version

V1.0.6.64_2.1.46.1

Armor is not enabled, I read too many negitave issues which could affect network performance when enabled.

Message 3 of 13
cahowell
Guide

laptop (Large).jpgCapture4.PNGCapture5.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture3.PNG

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

Unless you have a 6E device, the 6ghz band won't show. 

The 2.4ghz shows as the standard epoch  and the 5hgz (ax) as the epoch5

Message 5 of 13
cahowell
Guide

Thank you and please forgive my ignorance, however I have several WiFi6 devices and one WiFi6e device (see photo.) Is the WiFi6e band not backward compatibe with devices that only support version 6 and not 6e? The SSID doesn't even show up on my 6e client with the latest chipset drivers installed from Intel and there aren't a lot of settings on the router itself for WiFi6e.

20210714_154011_resized (Large).jpg

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

6E hasn't been showing up on any windows devices without work arounds because of some windows/intel issues. 

I'd recommend reading through these for more info. 

WiFi 6E Problems - RAXE500 - NETGEAR Communities

No trace of Wifi6 networks on Nighthawk RAXE500 - NETGEAR Communities

Message 7 of 13
cahowell
Guide

Thank you and just so I am clear on a few things,

• WiFi6e is just too new for Windows 10 to support/see at this time even if the device comes with a WiFi6 chipset
  • Because this new router utilizes the WiFi6e standard, the WiFi6e standard is not backwards compatibile with regular WiFi6 enabled devices
  • My other laptop with the standard AX201 WiFi6 chipset (see photo) cannot see the SSID being broadcast from this router even though in the router setup for WiFi6 it says (see below) which includes the AX standard which is indeed WiFi6.

• My Samsung Galaxy s10 which states WiFi6 compatiplie as well as Playstation 5 cannot see this router on the WiFi6 band because it is broadcasting the SSID as a WiFi6e standard which they cannot see.

I very much appreciate your guidance. 

20210714_155059_resized (Large).jpg

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

@cahowell wrote:

Thank you and just so I am clear on a few things,

• WiFi6e is just too new for Windows 10 to support/see at this time even if the device comes with a WiFi6 chipset----Wifi 6 and 6E are different standards. wifi 6 is 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals. Wifi 6E includes 2.4ghz, 5ghz, AND 6ghz. A wifi 6 chip won't see 6E, a 6E chipset will see 2.4, 5, and 6ghz signals. Windows is getting compatiblity but not without some end user work right now. 
  • Because this new router utilizes the WiFi6e standard, the WiFi6e standard is not backwards compatibile with regular WiFi6 enabled devices---Its compatible in that a 6E chip (like intel AX210) will be able to see/use all 3 bands. 
  • My other laptop with the standard AX201 WiFi6 chipset (see photo) cannot see the SSID being broadcast from this router even though in the router setup for WiFi6 it says (see below) which includes the AX standard which is indeed WiFi6.----Again, wireless 6 isn't 6E. Wifi 6 is only 2.4ghz/5ghz.
  • My Samsung Galaxy s10 which states WiFi6 compatiplie as well as Playstation 5 cannot see this router on the WiFi6 band because it is broadcasting the SSID as a WiFi6e standard which they cannot see.----Its seeing the Eroch5 because that's actually the wifi 5ghz wifi 6 band.  

I very much appreciate your guidance. 

Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

A wifi 6 device will be able to use the RAXE's 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals. Not its 6ghz.
Message 10 of 13
cahowell
Guide

Thank you for clearing all of that up, it's odd they call it WiFi6 when it runs off of 2.4ghz and 5ghz and WiFi6e runs on 6ghz?? Makes perfect sense. Thanks again for you help, at least I am good for the next few years.

Message 11 of 13
cahowell
Guide

Just a quick update, I followed the registry hack and can now see the WiFi6e SSID and connected to it from my laptop. The powers that be should really do a better job at naming these standards other than just adding an E at the end yet it is a whole different band altogether. I do love this router, it's a beast. Thanks agian!

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working. I've got one as well and its been pretty solid for me

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements