Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Boost for Nighthawk R3800

juanamneal
Aspirant

WiFi Boost for Nighthawk R3800

Hello,

We moved to a new place in a new state. Our internet went from Cox fiber optic to Atlantic Broadband. The new place is double the size of the old one (4100 sqft). The internet is slower but we now have a really slow/weak wifi spot at the other end of the house. We cannot relocate the router to the middle of the house yet I'm wondering if perhaps I can add some sort of a wifi booster or extender. 

I will REALLY appreciate your suggestions and ideas on how to solve this wifi problem. Please don't send me to ask the Broadband company. We tried but becuase it is our own equipment, they can't help.

Thank you. 

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi Boost for Nighthawk R3800

The R8300 is a pretty solid router and so is the arris SB8200 as a modem. 

Both highly capable. 

Either going with an extender or adding a mesh system can help with added coverage. 

There isn't much better modem than the sb8200 unless you plan on going to something like the cm2000 with a 2.5gig port on it but thats a bit pointless. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can add extenders. I'd recommend the triband extenders because of the dedicated backhaul. 

the only thing is that if you're needing more than 1 extender, I'd recommend looking at a full mesh system like orbi versus trying to use several extenders. Orbi is designed for a mesh network. 

Message 2 of 10
juanamneal
Aspirant

Thanks so much. This is great help. I suspect that if we were to go with the mesh, we would remove the Nighthawk R3800. In other words the Orbi would replace the Nighthawk. Is this right?

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

do you have the R8300 or the WNDR3800?

You can replace the router or you can use it as a backup,  even use it to offload IoT devices, or even just have it for a dedicated game/streaming connection for a specific device. 

Several options available

Message 4 of 10
juanamneal
Aspirant

Would the wifi5 vs wifi6 make a huge different if our router is an Arris Surfboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1GB? Should I upgrade the modem to get a better connection?

Message 5 of 10
juanamneal
Aspirant

We have the Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Tri-band WiFi Router and two gamers at home. I like the idea of using that for gaming alone if it'll clear the wifi for all our other devices

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

The R8300 is a pretty solid router and so is the arris SB8200 as a modem. 

Both highly capable. 

Either going with an extender or adding a mesh system can help with added coverage. 

There isn't much better modem than the sb8200 unless you plan on going to something like the cm2000 with a 2.5gig port on it but thats a bit pointless. 

Message 7 of 10
juanamneal
Aspirant

Thanks so much!

Message 8 of 10
juanamneal
Aspirant

Hello, I have a follow up question. I got the Orbi and got it all setup and gets us wifi in all the weak spots. The thing is that not the Nighhawk is not connecting at all because clearly only one router can be use as the man (I suppose). May I ask which would be the best setup to keep the Nighthawk for gaming? Do I connect it to the orbi (ethernet)? Thanks so much again for the help.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

here's how I'd do it. 
SB8200--->R8300 (router mode)------>orbi router (in access point mode)

Just make sure the orbi and the r8300 are using different wireless channels to prevent interference. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7