Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Speed R7000

billhamler
Aspirant

WiFi Speed R7000

I have a Nighthawk Dual Band R7000. Using the Nighthawk iPhone App my internet speed is ~400mbps which is what my ISP provides. All my devices use the 5G band. However, when I use Speedtest.net on my devices my speed is 125mbps - 150mbps. Does this make sense? Why is the speed at my devices so low?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Wireless speeds are a product of the device you're using, the wireless interference in your area, and the capabilities of the router. The R7000 is a good router (when running stable firmware) so itslikely a combination of your environment and device you're testing with. The only realy accurate way to test speeds is over a hardwired connection because of the variabliites with wireless.  For instance, most phones use a 1x1 antenna versus the router is capable of 3x3. 

With that said, wireless speed tests do allow you to optimize your network for location and channel selection. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Wireless speeds are a product of the device you're using, the wireless interference in your area, and the capabilities of the router. The R7000 is a good router (when running stable firmware) so itslikely a combination of your environment and device you're testing with. The only realy accurate way to test speeds is over a hardwired connection because of the variabliites with wireless.  For instance, most phones use a 1x1 antenna versus the router is capable of 3x3. 

With that said, wireless speed tests do allow you to optimize your network for location and channel selection. 

Message 2 of 3
billhamler
Aspirant

Many thanks for your answer. I am going to take your advice and temporarily hard wire some of my devices. If I understand your post, the difference in speeds at that point will be entirely or almost entirely dependent on the device.  Thanks again.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7