WiFi System

BrannonScott
Aspirant

WiFi System

Anybody have any suggestions for a reliable wifi router, either stand alone or mesh for a 3500 sq foot home. It seems like im buying a new system ever 18 to 24 months and maybe thats just all they last. We do alot of streaming with I pads and smart TV's but no gaming. I also seem to have trouble getting the signal pushed thur the walls no matter where i install the router. The last system we tried was a Google Wifi and it was great for about a year and now it needs to be reset almost every day. Any info would help 

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi System

What materials are your walls? some materials block significantly more than others. 

I've used an Orbi system since it came out. Occassionally its needed a reset but for the most part has been reliable. 

I've got an RBK53 and have a router on one floor with a satellite on the other 2. 

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
also in AP setup: RAXE500->EAX80
1.4gig download/50mbps upload from Xfinity
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 5
BrannonScott
Aspirant

Just standard 2x4 wood construction with fibergalss insluation and sheetrock finish. Do you notice any siginifigant loss of speed with yours

Message 3 of 5
BrannonScott
Aspirant

Is there a maximum distace the satellite has to be away from the main one

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

a lot depends on your device and what band you're on. Orbi does band steering so some devices default to the 2.4ghz which is slower. 

My devices on 5ghz are fairly consistent from 200-400mbps depending on location. 

In terms of distance, they have a 30 ft minimum distance. 

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
also in AP setup: RAXE500->EAX80
1.4gig download/50mbps upload from Xfinity
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E