Highlighted
Tutor

WiFi download speed extremely slow or not working at all (iPhone + Netgear R6700v3)

Dear Community,

Experiencing chronic issues with iPhone WiFi throughput, specifically download speed...

This has been an extremely frustrating issue to troubleshoot and haven't been able to find any advice that seems to have consistently fixed similar issues reported by others. I have a Nighthawk AC1750 R6700v3 WiFi router that I've been using for about 8 months (07/2019) and have noticed intermittent issues with it. The R6700v3 is connected directly to a cable modem via Ethernet cable for Internet access. The cable ISP service package is set up for ~150Mbps down/~10Mbps up. There is a Win7 PC connected to the R6700v3 via Ethernet cable. I also have several iOS devices (iPhone XS Max, iPhone 7+, iPad Mini5, etc.) that connect to the R6700v3 via WiFi (either 2.4GHz or, when I'm right next to the router, via 5GHz). There is also an Amazon FireTV that connects via WiFi, as well as a work laptop (Win10) that connect via WiFi. 

With the Win7 PC (Ethernet connection), I will occasionally (but rarely - maybe once every 2-3 months) notice an issue where the Internet connection appears to be running slowly. On those occasions, I've gone to run a SpeedTest and will measure ~0.5Mbps down/~15Mbps up. If I run the SpeedTest several times consecutively, I usually see 2-3 results in that range and then, around the 4th or 5th test, I'll start seeing rates that I'm more accustomed to (~70Mbps down/~15Mpbs up, or better).

With my work laptop (Win10) and Amazon FireTV (which both connect via WiFi), I've never seen any noticeable connectivity issues. The work PC seems to run ok. The only issues that I've seen with the FireTV streaming is ~1 second of skipped audio every now and then, which a quick rewind will allow me to recover. Otherwise, I've not seen any pixelizing of video, screen freezes, video pauses for buffering, etc. that might indicate a throughput issue.

What I have seen, very consistently and frequently, is extremely poor performance across all of the iOS devices. At times, iPhone apps such as FaceBook, Instagram, etc. report that there is no Internet connection, are unable to load photos, preview images, etc. and Safari web requests time out or are only loading text with images coming in much later. When running SpeedTest app on the iOS devices, I commonly will see results along the lines of 0.0-0.1Mbps down/3.0-10.0Mbps up. Almost always, my upload speeds on the iOS tests appear to be much higher than download speeds and, fairly regularly, are at or close to the level provided by the ISP. However, the download speeds are around dial-up modem speed or the test may even time out entirely because it is unable to establish a connection. I have observed this issue at many points across a day (whether during the workday - I work from home, during the evening rush when neighbors are coming home from work, early morning - prior to 5am, and late at night). If I disable WiFi on my iPhone and use the cellular network instead, all of the iOS Internet connectivity issues immediately clear up. I have also observed that when I am traveling and, for example, using a hotel's WiFi network to connect, these speed issues do not seem to occur - it is only on my home network - using the Netgear router - that things become so slow.

After a number of ISP tech visits where they were unable to duplicate these problems, and a swap of the cable modem, I've been able to isolate this down to what I believe is some kind of incompatibility between Netgear and iOS devices. During the last several days, when I've noticed my iPhone running slowly, I've run SpeedTests from my iOS app, from the Win7 PC, and from the Nighthawk router (using the Nighthawk iOS app) and the results that I've been seeing seem to lead me more in that direction. Had some issues this morning and was able to run tests across each of these within a few minutes of each other and here's what I measured:

Win7 PC (wired Ethernet to R6700v3) - Measured 180Mbps down / 30Mbps up

iPhone XS Max (WiFi 5GHz) - Measured 0.1Mbps down / 8Mbps up

iPhone XS Max (WiFi 2.4Ghz) - Measured 0.1Mbps down / 4Mbps up

Netgear Nighthawk (via Nighthawk app which, presumably, is measuring from the router and upstream through the wired Ethernet connection to cablemodem; i.e., not the WiFi connectivity) - Measured 45Mbps down / 18Mbps up

I've scoured the Community to find a solution to this and have seen a lot of folks reporting iPhone connectivity issues with Netgear but I haven't seen anything (so far) from Netgear folks in the way of a consistently effective resolution. Some people say to change MTU sizes, disable 20/40 channels, and/or rollback router firmware but these solutions appear to have worked for some and not others. It doesn't seem that those fixes have worked in my case. 

In any event, I'm writing what has become a bit of a book here because I've become kind of exasperated with Netgear and would like to see whether anyone has definitively confirmed a known Netgear-iOS compatibility issue and whether there is a coherent and reliable way to resolve that. Thanks for reading and eager to fix this issue. 

Here are some additional config details that I'm working with:

Netgear R6700v3, currently running V1.0.4.84_10.0.58

Windows 7 PC (wired Ethernet connection to R6700v3)

iPhone XS Max (iOS 13.3.1)

iPhone 7+ (iOS 13.3.1)

ISP Service (cablemodem): ~150Mpbs down / ~10Mbps up

R6700v3 app "Internet Speed" tests typically: ~45Mbps down / ~13Mbps up

Wired PC SpeedTests typically: ~180Mbps down / ~30Mbps up

iOS WiFi Speed Test app tests typically: ~30Mbps down / ~8Mbps up, when performing ok

iOS WiFi Speed Test app tests typically: 0.1Mbps down / ~8Mbps up, when not performing ok

Attaching a screen shot of recent SpeedTest results from iPhone XS Max (WiFi connection), where I had a decent result once but every other test is showing the same kind of performance: extremely slow down speed; ok up speed.

Would appreciate direction here and, if Netgear has noticed these kinds of issues and has a reliable fix, would appreciate if someone at Netgear could post an article or document that is easy to find that would help users to fix the issue. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the Nighthawk router's performance, except in regards to its unacceptable performance with iOS devices...

Thanks in advance!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted

Re: WiFi download speed extremely slow or not working at all (iPhone + Netgear R6700v3)

What is this "ISP Service (cablemodem)"?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: WiFi download speed extremely slow or not working at all (iPhone + Netgear R6700v3)

Just stating the service package that I am working with from my ISP (connection to outside world via cablemodem; with package rated for up to 150Mbps downstream and up to 10Mbps upstream)...

Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the AC3200 tri-band and I have all the exact same issues and when I tried to contact customer service I sat on hold for an hour and a half and then when I finally got to talk to someone they hung up on me. So the best fix might be to change brands. I’m trying to see if Best Buy will take mine back and let me go back to linksys right now
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have similar setup as rich.  Ie 3200.   And similar problems to rocket.

i believe it is a compatibility issue,  however I resolved my issue by moving my iPad connection off of the third band on my router (Netgear....2).  To either of the first two connections (Netgear...., or Netgear....1).   For some reason the iPad Pro does not like that last wireless connection .   Even though I have no issues with that connection on any of my other devices...  now that I have moved the iPad Pro,  I have had no issues with connection or download speed.

Model: C7500|Nighthawk X4-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for your additional detail on a setup that worked for you, Nightwawk3200. I'd agree with you regarding the likely culprit being a compatibility issue. Over the last 2-3 months, I have noticed that the speeds on my iOS devices are generally better than they were; however, they do still lag behind just about any other device that I use to connect if I think to run speed tests on multiple devices around the same 2-3 hour time window of each other. Since writing my original post, I have done a fair amount of streaming via Amazon FireTV and YouTube apps and both services appear to stream just fine - no hiccups, no buffering delays, etc. Also, a Samsung SmartTV does not seem to ever have any issues performing firmware updates, as well as Win7 and Win10 PC's connecting at speeds that do not make me mindful of any perceived slowdowns. It is only on the iOS devices where the problem crops up. I'm wondering whether Netgear might finally have addressed this issue via firmware since, as I noted above, there has been a marked decrease in the appearance of these speed issues over the last 2-3 months. The iOS devices still tend to run at least 10% slower than any other WiFi connection but, at least for now, that delta is not making me want to toss my iOS device or Netgear router against a wall...

Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Im glad you are seeing better download speed.

But ---- 

A -- s for the possibility that Netgear has addressed the issue.   At least for my situation, the answer is NO.  My problem existed 3 days ago.  the only solution has been via my own actions,  moving the Ipad pro to the other connection was my solution.  

Talking about download speeds...... as an example.

Just Monday (July 6, 2020) I ran a speed test on 6 devices.   I ran the test on each of the three connections,  for each device.   I did this having five devices turned off and only 1 device on and connected...   just to make sure there was not any conflicts and priority issues.

The IPad Pro ran as fast or faster than the other five devices on the first 2 connections.  but ran at .5 Download and 11 Upload for the third connection.

Today (July 9, 2020) the I Pad Pro actually is running faster than the other devices (almost 90 DL) -- but still only on the first two connections. 

It is specifically associated with that last connection on my 3200.  And only for the IPad Pro. 

FYI - I did read a couple other blogs with similar issues on their IPad Pro's,  that said to turn off the bluetooth on the Ipad pro.  This did not work for me.

Good luck and i hope that your issue stays away for some miraculous reason.  Because i doubt you will get anywhere with Netgear support.

Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same issue on my netgear. Download speed 1-6 mbps / up is about 9 mbps on iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) but laptop is getting 150 mbps down and 11 mbps up. I use one SSID so cannot change bands to fix this. However, I am broadcasting a Guest network. When I switch to that I get ok bandwidth. I did update the firmware recently but cannot face rolling back. Please fix Netgear!!!
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted

@Mortee wrote:
Download speed 1-6 mbps / up is about 9 mbps on iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) but laptop is getting 150 mbps down and 11 mbps up.

What leads you to think that it is the unnamed Netgear device that slows down your iOS devices? If the laptop is as expected logic suggests that it would be a good idea to investigate the iOS stuff.

Have you told them to forget the wifi connection to the problematic SSID?

@Mortee wrote:
I use one SSID so cannot change bands to fix this.

What does that mean?

It does not make sense. The bands and SSID are not connected. You can use whatever bands you like for your chosen SSID.

@Mortee wrote:
However, I am broadcasting a Guest network. When I switch to that I get ok bandwidth. I did update the firmware recently but cannot face rolling back.

Yet more evidence that the problem is with your wifi clients rather than the wifi source.

@Mortee wrote:
Please fix Netgear!!!

See above. Netgear can't fix things that aren't broken.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements