Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi for large house

Razd
Aspirant

WiFi for large house

Hi, i would like to know what is the best solution for upgrade my R8000 to support my second floor.

Appreciate if i can get feedback on the below:

1. connect the R8000 with an Netgear extender via LAN cable and use WiFi in 1st floor and 2nd floor by the extender

2. connect the R8000 to a 2nd R8000 router that will be placed in the 2nd floor

3. other ideas?

I would like that the transferring between the WiFI netwoerk when moving from the 1st to the 2nd floor will be smooth.

I read that one should be configure as a AP and the second will be configure as a router. in this case the 1st floor will use WiFI from the AP and the 2nd floor from the router?

Thx.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WiFi for large house

A EX8000 would best connect to the R8000:

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. how big is your home? Is 1 extender going to be enough coverage? 

2. When the netgears extenders are ran in access point mode (hardwired in), it disables their smart roaming functions. But most devices have their own integrated roaming protocols so it isn't as big a deal as it once was. 

3. If you want their smart roaming functions to stay enabled (smoother roaming), then you'd want to setup the extender in extender mode and not hardwired. 

4. If you used another router as an access point, the same as #2 would apply. It wouldn't have the roaming protocols but most devices would still roam. Just not as smoothly.

5. for the truly best seamless roaming, the Orbi or MK nighthawk are the best option as they support wired or wireless backhauls (connection between router/satellite). 

6. What internet speeds do you pay for and what wireless speeds are you trying to get around the home? I've seen some of the renewed RBK43 kits go for slighly more than an extender. 

Message 3 of 7
Razd
Aspirant

Thx all for the fast feedback.

So, one good option is to use EX8000, simple solution.

My question is: If i have an option to connect a LAN cable between the R8000 in the 1st floor to the 2nd floor, Is still EX8000 will be the best option or there are otehr betetr one?

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

the EX8000 is a great option. It its hardwired in (access point mode) it functions as a triband access point. I've used one and its worked great for me. 

Message 5 of 7
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Honestly, if you have the option to run an ethernet cable upstairs, do that and get a WiFi Access Point (NOT a wifi "extender") for your upstairs WiFi.  I do that with two R7000 routers (one as a DHCP router, one as an access point).  The results are far superior to the Google Mesh system (basically a wifi router and a wifi extender) I got with Google Fiber.

Message 6 of 7
Razd
Aspirant

Thanks Keith,

Is the connection stay stable when moving from floors? Is it recognized by the same WiFi network name?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7