WiFi issue massive lagspikes when gaming, some times

str1fe
Aspirant

WiFi issue massive lagspikes when gaming, some times

I have an R7000, and sometimes i experience massive lag spikes. I'm using AC wireless enabled and usually it works like a charm, but sometimes i get these random lags.

It's not caused by my internet connection because i have a fiber connection 75/75mbit.

My pc is about four metres away from the router, and the signal strength show full bars.

Capture.PNG

QoS is disabled, and i'm running firmware V1.0.4.30_1.1.67. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Re: WiFi issue massive lagspikes when gaming, some times

I don't game any more but I, too, used to see these occasional blips in ping times.

I never got to bottom of it but here are some suggestions:
1. Do a factory reset
2. Disable any feature that disables hardware forwarding. I don't have the complete list but enabling Block Sites, Block Services, Access Control, and QoS may force the router to use software forwarding, which can subject traffic to the vagaries of the router's O/S. Even port forwarding may affect performance.
3. See if wired performance has the same issue. If not, there could be radio interference (cordless phone, baby monitor, etc.) affecting Wi-Fi performance.
4. Try downgrading to 1.0.4.28. A few people on this forum swear that it's better. I have no issues with 1.0.4.30. Like I said I don't game, so any occasional lag issues haven't been a problem.
5. Switch to 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT or Asus-Merlin.
Message 2 of 6
str1fe
Aspirant

Thanks for reply!

It does not happen on wired – just on wifi.

When i think of it, these issues began right after i added some port forwarding. I'm not sure if it's related, but it could be.

Today I've been using it all day with some intensive gaming, and it have been working really great, no issues. I will consider downgrading or even try some 3rd party frameworks if the issues come back.

If all else fails i'll probably buy a powerline kit to avoid stretching an ethernet cable around my house. The transfer rate of the wifi connection is so god i am suprised i'm having these issues.

Message 3 of 6
str1fe
Aspirant

Today it was really bad:

Capture.PNG

Timeouts and everything Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @str1fe,

It is possible that wireless interference may be causing the dropouts. I recommend using the Wi-Fi analytics feature of the NETGEAR Genie application if you have it installed or a similar program to check for interferences and select the best channel to use in your setup.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 6
str1fe
Aspirant

Thank you Dexter. I will try this :Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies