Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi problems w/ R7000

peach495
Tutor

WiFi problems w/ R7000

I've had this WiFi for awhile without issues runing multiple items through it. Recently I attempted to attach an Amazon firestick to our Smart TV because it predates Amazon Prime. The onscreen menue recognized our router & once selected prompted for password. After puting in the passwword and selecting it it faild for some reason & upon a second attempt I couldn't even find the router on the onscreen menue. Looking at the router I see the internet light is blinking red. 

If I disconnect ethernet cable & plug direcgtly into the Mac I get internet so the modem is working.

What happened & what can I do?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
peach495
Tutor

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I had to buy a new router & am no longer trying to fix this one.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless modes are you using on the main host router? 

Does the firestick support 5Ghz or just 2.4Ghz? 

Try setting WPA2 and AES only on the main host router and manual channel 1 6 or 11 for 2.4Ghz.

Message 2 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I'd also try turning of Smart Connect, and set the SSIDs of the two bands differently.  

Message 3 of 16
peach495
Tutor

The router is 2.4 but the fire stick doesn't say one way or the other. I can't make any adjustment to security on the router because it's not communitating with the modem & there isn't any way to make an adjustment to the unit itself.

Message 4 of 16
peach495
Tutor

Thanks for rresponding but I don't understand.

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Where are you getting lost?

Message 6 of 16
peach495
Tutor

I don't know what smart connect or ssid is. I'm not very tech savy.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You might as a suggestion, have someone from here in the forums or maybe a forum moderator use teamviewer and work with you and have them check your wireless settings on your router. IT's safe to use and is secure way of allowing someone trusted to help you have a look at your router. 

Message 8 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi peach495,

Do you still have internet connection from the router? Since you mentioned that the Internet light is red.

Message 9 of 16
peach495
Tutor

No. I believe it should be white if functioning properly. It's red while it's setting up when first turned on then white when fully operating.

Message 10 of 16
peach495
Tutor

I'd be open to that except I can't be on the computer if the ehternet cable is pluged into the router.  I'm recieving the internet via the router. Since it failed I have to plug the ethernet cable directly into the Mac.

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@peach495 wrote:

I don't know what smart connect or ssid is. I'm not very tech savy.

Ok.

A link to the manual is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_10Oct13.pdf

That's just so I can refer to it.

If you can log into the router web page, you'll see a screen that looks like the one on the top of page 19 of the manual.

Click Advanced Tab then Setup. Look for Wireless Setup and click it.  

You should see a checkbox with "Enable Smart Connect" next to it on the page.  If that checkbox is checked, then uncheck it.  Then click "apply".

SSID is another name for "Network Name".  It's the name that shows up when your client devices look for networks to join.  

There should be two wireless names (SSIDs) on the Wireless Setup Page - one for 2.4 ghz and one for 5 ghz.  If these names are the same, then change the one for 5 Ghz - perhaps add -5G to the end of it.  Then click "apply" again.

If the Wireless Setup page already had Smart Connect disabled, and different network names fo 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, please let us know that.

If you did need to make some changes, then try connecting your devices over wifi again.  If you see the -5G network in the client, it is usually best to start with that.  It will give faster speeds, but will have shorter range.  If that connection seems unstable or slow, you should try connecting to the 2.4 Ghz network instead.

Of course also let us know if these changes solve the issue with the firestick.

Message 12 of 16
peach495
Tutor

When I tried to log into router login with neatgear it advised me that I must have my router connected to access.  When connected to router I have no internet as the router is not reading the modem. I can only talk to you here when the ethernet cable from modem is directly connected to my Mac.

There was a second client on the onscreen menue which had our name with a 5g attached. I'm assuming this would be the 2nd named SSID you're reffering to & already has the designation I need?

Message 13 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi peach495,

Please check this KB article to configure the router to have Internet access

http://kb.netgear.com/1086/No-Internet-with-new-router-MAC-spoofing

Message 14 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi peach495,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 15 of 16
peach495
Tutor

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I had to buy a new router & am no longer trying to fix this one.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7