WiFried: iOS 8 Wi-Fi issues

TheEther
Guru

WiFried: iOS 8 Wi-Fi issues

I was looking up the release date for iOS 8.4 (answer: June 30) and saw a Forbes article reference to iOS 8 Wi-Fi performance issues that have been called "WiFried".

You can read about WiFried here.

I wonder if this is the source of many Wi-Fi issues misattributed to Netgear?

The good news is that WiFried is supposedly fixed in 8.4. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Message 1 of 12
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Re: WiFried: iOS 8 Wi-Fi issues

Thanks for the update. I think there are lots iPhones users complainig wireless performance after the update.
Message 2 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Interesting...I don't do/use the stuff in the article, but still have found wifi on iOS 8 to be flaky. However, I've upgraded all 4 of our Apple mobile devices to 8.4, so we'll see.
Message 3 of 12
Killhippie
Prodigy

Not had any issues really with the 5s or iPad Air 2, occasional slow down on iPad Air 2 but nothing to speak of. Wifi seems ok so far since the update. tbh Safari seems a little faster loading pages, but nothing major for me.
Message 4 of 12
LexenZ
Aspirant

I have several issues with the router as well.
Especially when I had to update or download apps, the downloading speed is soooooo horrible and slow, my firmware is updated and everything, yet it isn't performing well.... Smiley Sad Any solutions to this?

Using iphone 6 plus and ipad air 2 for these instances.
Message 5 of 12
TheEther
Guru

@Killhippie: It's very subjective, but 8.4 feels a lot snappier, especially in Safari.

@LexenZ:

You should start by resetting your router to factory defaults. Try to deviate from default settings as little as possible, though you should enable WPA2. QoS and Access Control reportedly slow down the router, so leave them off for now.

You should test your Internet Connection to make sure that it is not the problem. I would recommend testing in this order:

) to insure that a bottleneck somewhere in the Internet does not skew the result. Visit your frequently-visited websites.

If you have a very high-speed Internet connection (over 100 Mbps), then you may not be able to take full advantage of it over 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi in a busy neighborhood.
Message 6 of 12
Fairytail
Virtuoso

@LexenZ: Do you get the same behavior with other devices asided from iOS device?
Message 7 of 12
LexenZ
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:
@LexenZ: Do you get the same behavior with other devices asided from iOS device?

Nopes, I used android to download and update apps on the play store, it worked flawlessly
Message 8 of 12
LexenZ
Aspirant

[QUOTE=TheEther;502833]
@LexenZ:

You should start by resetting your router to factory defaults. Try to deviate from default settings as little as possible, though you should enable WPA2. QoS and Access Control reportedly slow down the router, so leave them off for now.

You should test your Internet Connection to make sure that it is not the problem. I would recommend testing in this order:

Thanks for the assistance TheEther Smiley Very Happy, however all the methods you mentioned I have tried and still has the same effect....
    I am using ASUS AC-68U as my main access point, to be honest even in a busy neighborhood it performs well too! I mean even my Samsung S5 can download apps from play stores flawlessly, I don't see why apple products one can't xD.

Hopefully there will be a update?
Message 9 of 12
TheEther
Guru

LexenZ wrote:
Thanks for the assistance TheEther Smiley Very Happy, however all the methods you mentioned I have tried and still has the same effect....
I am using ASUS AC-68U as my main access point, to be honest even in a busy neighborhood it performs well too! I mean even my Samsung S5 can download apps from play stores flawlessly, I don't see why apple products one can't xD.

Hopefully there will be a update?

Just to confirm, when you removed the router and plugged a PC directly into your modem, the Internet access speeds were fine? Then, when you reconnected the router and plugged your PC into the router, the speeds were still fine?

Do your Apple devices have trouble accessing any website or only the AppStore? If it's only the AppStore, then it's possible that some part of the Internet between you and the AppStore is congested and that there may be nothing wrong with the router.

Did you update your Apple devices to iOS 8.4?
Message 10 of 12
LexenZ
Aspirant

TheEther wrote:
Just to confirm, when you removed the router and plugged a PC directly into your modem, the Internet access speeds were fine? Then, when you reconnected the router and plugged your PC into the router, the speeds were still fine?

Do your Apple devices have trouble accessing any website or only the AppStore? If it's only the AppStore, then it's possible that some part of the Internet between you and the AppStore is congested and that there may be nothing wrong with the router.

Did you update your Apple devices to iOS 8.4?

Just to clarify: I am using this as a range extender, so for the removal and reconnection, I have done that by reconnecting it to my access point(Asus-AC68U), I even had it hard wired to the laptop for wired connection.
Speedtest results was dissappointing: with only 32.68mbps download and 36.08mbps upload from the laptop.

For your second advice, previously was only the appstore, now recently, sending a basic mail and uploading a photo to whatsapp takes quite a long time...(Sometimes there is even an error)

And yes my apple devices are currently at ios 8.4
Message 11 of 12
TheEther
Guru

LexenZ wrote:
Just to clarify: I am using this as a range extender, so for the removal and reconnection, I have done that by reconnecting it to my access point(Asus-AC68U), I even had it hard wired to the laptop for wired connection.

Is the R7000 connected to the AC68U via wireless or wired?

If it's wireless, then is wireless bridging or is wireless repeating enabled on the R7000?

Speedtest results was dissappointing: with only 32.68mbps download and 36.08mbps upload from the laptop.

So, this is with your laptop wired to the R7000?
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements