Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Options for off-grid vanlife (Europe)

MariaMcShane
Follower

Wifi Options for off-grid vanlife (Europe)

Hi all,

We are rebuilding a camper for off-grid vanlife and plan to travel around Europe full time. I plan to work remotely so need a good solution for internet (as zoom calls will be quite frequesnt I imagine). I am unsure about satellite vs mobile broadband + signal booster. Looking at Netgear as it's one of the most reputable brands in modems. Any suggestions on what models or options would best suit my needs? Completely overwhelmed by all the options and information out there.

Thanks,

Maria

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi Options for off-grid vanlife (Europe)

the problem isn't just limited to hardware, its also an issue of coverage. how well each service covers an area. You can have the best cellular modem/hotspot but be somewhere without coverage. 

Or be stuck by a plan with a data limit that doesn't allow zoom long enough in the month. 

another issue is the walls of the van. They tend to be metal which does a great job of blocking wifi. Getting an cellular antenna on the outside of the van would help. So if you do decide to go with a hotspot, I'd check on hotspots with ports to attach antennas to. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7