Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi broken after firmware update

767pilot
Tutor

Wifi broken after firmware update

Everything was working fine and I decided to do the firmware update that I was told about via email from Netgear today. Everything went well except now I can turn on the wifi. I have tried every setting that I can find, rebooting, unplugging, etc. I need my wifi back!!!

Thanks in advance

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wifi broken after firmware update

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

First note down the settings – screen grabs can help here.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
Mikecherry1
Aspirant

Having similar issue. Router settings hanging in update mode after new firmware initiated reboot. WiFi still works, but no way to make any additional changes to router settings.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 11

Open CMD and ping the routers IP 198.162.1.1. If you do not get a responce this update killed your router. I also got that message, I also pdated my firmware we it was done it killed my router. Nothing I have tried let me gain acess to change the firmware back. If you do get a responce with a ping then u can get in to revert yuor firmware back to waht it was. If you get no responce from a ping its dead. I wont be buying anymore Netgear routers thats for sure.

Message 3 of 11

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

First note down the settings – screen grabs can help here.

Message 4 of 11
767pilot
Tutor

Thank you, Michael. I'm glad that I didn't have the same problem that Mike did and as frustrated as I was, I am sure he feels even worse. No where in the directions did I see anything about doing a reset. If it's in there I missed it, if it's not in there perhaps it needs to be.

Anyway, thanks for your help

Message 5 of 11

@767pilot wrote:

No where in the directions did I see anything about doing a reset. If it's in there I missed it, if it's not in there perhaps it needs to be.

Hard to disagree with that.

Maybe the technology does not allow Netgear to pass on such alerts.

Message 6 of 11
Mikecherry1
Aspirant

I was fortunately able to just power cycle the router after waiting long enough to know that the router wasn't going to correct itself with the firmware initiated reboot. After the power cycle, all functionality was restored and the firmware is shown as updated, so looks like I'm also in the clear, thanks!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 11
Des71
Tutor

The firmware update for my R6400 disabled my WiFi and I tried rebooting it with no success. I didn't even have the option to enable the SSID broadcast on the WiFi settings. I decided to change back to the previous Firmware Version (V1.0.1.24_1.0.18) and after it was installed and the router rebooted, everything worked. It was very frustrating to waste an hour and experience needless stress on a Friday. Here's the link to the R6700 firmware, if you want to try the same thing: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700.aspx#download

Message 8 of 11

@Des71 wrote:

The firmware update for my R6400 disabled my WiFi and I tried rebooting it with no success.

Rebooting already happens during the upgrade process. Doing it again gets you not further.

Before going back to old firmware, with the security issues that this entails, do a factory reset.

If that fails then you could try older firmware.

Message 9 of 11
Des71
Tutor

I went back to the older firmware with success.

Message 10 of 11

And to the old security issues.

Did you try a factory reset?

The choice is yours. I mentioned it so that other people know that if they are concerned about security can try something else.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7