Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi networks drop too often

cajolino
Follower

Wifi networks drop too often

hi,

This router often drop the 2.4 or 5GHz WIFI networks.
When this happens, none of my devices (5 of them, including IOS, Android Windows and MacOS) no longer see the WIFI networks.
the 5Ghz drops more often than the 2.4 but the 2.4.
They never fail at the same time.
Eventually it comes back, randomly or if I reboot the router.

I also notice that I can always see the 2 guest networks I set up. Those never fail.

Wired connections also never fail.

When I connect to the router config page (URL or via the Genie app) the router doesn't show any error. In the router settings section, both WIFI seems to be shown as active (there is a refresh button there, but I don't know what it does)

I already RMA's the router 1 time since last November but the problem never went away.

I'm becoming really disappointing with this brand now.

I hope I'm not the only one in this situation and that Netgear will do something about it.

In the meantime, my brother wanted to buy a new router and I already told him to stay away from Netgear.

Message 1 of 44

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi al59571,

Please check this KB article.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23655/~/troubleshooting-intermittent-wireless-or-dropp...

The router has 1 year hardware warranty for replacement from the date of purchase. You may check support team for that.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 44

All Replies
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Message 2 of 44
VipeNess
Guide

im following all these guidelines... still dropping.  Never had this issue with my ASUS RT-68U router.

Message 3 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi Vipeness,

What is the model number of your router?

What is the firmware version of the device?

Is it on 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz or both?

How many devices are affected?

Message 4 of 44
VipeNess
Guide

"I recently purchased my first Netgear Router "Nighthawk x6 r8000".  I got it all setup and followed all the instructions to setting it up.  My router did updated to the latest firmware available for it "V1.0.3.4_1.1.2".  Out of the box, it ran very smoothly (both ethernet and wireless" but over the course of a few days, ethernet started to slow down and my WI-FI devices keep dropping off every 2 to 3 hours randomly to all of my devices. If I power cycle (reboot the router) I get my speeds back from the ethernet connection.  Also, the WI-FI device will eventually come back and start dropping again.  I have 2.4GHz, and (2) 5GHz running for this router.  Each device has only been connected to it's connection (wireless) so it only knows the password for that WI-FI connection."

Router: Netgear Nighthawk x6 r8000

Firmware: V1.0.3.4_1.1.2

• 2.4GHz and both 5GHz are effected.
  • All devices connect to wireless will lose connection. **5GHz will lose connection more than 2.4GHz.

Note:  I spent quite a bit of money like others to have this "amazing device" I've heard of and this is my first Netgear router.  Coming from an ASUS RT-AC68U; I quite disappointed in my first experience so far.  My "first impression" has not been great and hope we can resolve this matter soon.  Why did I moved from ASUS to Netgear... I thought I'd try a new company and see how their routers are.  I do hope that we can resolve these connectivity issues and forget the router exists and let it do it's job.

Message 5 of 44
rpoffen
Virtuoso

While I have an R7000, it may help you. I had problems with the WiFi dropping periodically. I ended up doing a factory reset to defaults, then re-entered all the settings manually. When I set it up, I configured the channels manually, 6 for 2.4G and 153 for 5G.

My problems went away since then.

Message 6 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi Vipeness,

You may try the suggestion of rpoffen.

Message 7 of 44
VipeNess
Guide

Yes, I did.  I'm still having random Wi-Fi drops from time to time.  I've noticed that on first 5GHz connection, it will not show devices that are on the network on my LAN (example: chromecasts) or on the 2.4GHz and 2nd 5GHz band.  I'll have to restart the router and the device to see those devices on the network finally; but randomly will lose it again requiring a revolving restart again.

Message 8 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi VipeNess,

Please check your inbox.

Message 9 of 44
chilman408
Tutor

Hi,

I am having a very similar issue as VipeNess.  Random devices on my network drops connection and on the "attached devices" page, I would not see these devices connected.

Please let me know what is the solution for this rather than use PM.

Message 10 of 44
VipeNess
Guide

Mine just started again and redoing everything on my router.  WTH is going on?

Message 11 of 44
Crutches
Aspirant

I bought the r8000 two days ago and have had the same problems ever since. I called into your tech support and the solutions offered haven't fixed it. I'm really saddened by this as all reviews read prior to purchase seemed to really hype netgear up. At this point Im starting to feel like I should return it and switch brands. Please help
Message 12 of 44
Maui6969
Aspirant

Same here 1 of the 2 5ghz keeps dropping signal unbelievable
Message 13 of 44
ckeathley
Aspirant

Does anyone have to reboot their router at least once a week?

Message 14 of 44
DHodge87
Aspirant

Any solution yet?
Mine is dropping wifi every few hours and requires a power cycle for it to work.
Message 15 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

1. What is the model number of your device?

2. What firmware version currently loaded on the router?

Please perform a reset and manual reconfigure on the device.

Message 16 of 44
DHodge87
Aspirant

R8000 latest firmware purchased in September.
I perform complete hard RESETS every other day at this point when the basic power cycle stops working.
Message 17 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi DHodge87,

1. Is it on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connection?

2. How many wireless devices affected? What are those devices?

3. Have you tried changing channels for wireless?

Message 18 of 44
al59571
Initiate

I too am having the same issue with my R7500v2.

I've performed a factory reset, re-built the wifi configurations, messed around with all of the channels (including using inSSIDer to make sure i'm not hitting a channel conflict), and it's still not working properly.

The 2.4ghz drops at least 5-10 times a day and most of the time the 5ghz doen't even show up at all.  When it does show up and I connect to it, the connection drops more frequently than the 2.4ghz does.

Anyone have any advice or has run into this issue?  I've ben trying to find a version of DDWRT or Tomato, and the best I have been able to find is a kinda working OpenWRT implementation.

I'm happy to provide any other relevant / needed information if needed.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 19 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi al59571,

Can you check this firmware and see if the same problem. Perform a reset after the update.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30445

Message 20 of 44
al59571
Initiate

Hi James,

Thanks for the follow up.

After looking more closely at the router it appears that I do NOT have V2 of this router and it's a V1.

This is the firmware version that I am currently running:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29385/~/r7500-firmware-version-1.0.0.94

I've already performed a hard reset on the router to no avail.

This unit is over 90 days old but less than one year old.  Do you have any other troubleshooting ideas or know what my options are about getting a replacement device under warranty?

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 21 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi al59571,

Please check this KB article.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23655/~/troubleshooting-intermittent-wireless-or-dropp...

The router has 1 year hardware warranty for replacement from the date of purchase. You may check support team for that.

Message 22 of 44
JamesGL
Master

HI al59571,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 23 of 44
RAEshbaugh
Aspirant

Same failure issues I had with my X6 are now on my BRAND NEW x10! How about actually providing a working product after taking another $500.00 USD from someone and have some quality control checks before sending out garbage!
Message 24 of 44
rickshw
Initiate

The link you provided to "Solve" this issue goes nowhere.

https://kb.netgear.com/app/error//error_id/1

Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7