Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi networks drop too often

DHodge87
Aspirant

I ended up exchanging mine at bestbuy for a new one that worked for a week before the same problems came back.
Took it back and got an Asus and set it up and haven't touched my network in over a year at this point.
Netgear customer support was of no help and the people I spoke with talked down to me as if I was a child.
Message 26 of 44
kdkd86
Aspirant

Link to troubleshooting page given by support no longer works.  Here is Google's cache of that page:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gpEUI9tKmuwJ:kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/...

Troubleshooting intermittent wireless or dropped Wi-Fi connections

Was this article helpful?   Yes     No | 69 people found this helpful in last 30 days

In most cases, intermittent wireless issues are caused by local environmental factors that effect the wireless signal. This article helps you troubleshoot intermittent wireless connection problems you may be having with your NETGEAR router.

Symptom
:

• Wireless devices intermittently disconnect from the wireless network, while wired devices are still connected and working ok.

Things to keep in mind regarding wireless routers, placement and performance
:

• The farther away from the router you go, the weaker the wireless signal will be. Try moving closer to the router to see if the connection improves.
  • Keep the router in the most central spot in the home and away from anything that might block its signal such as metal objects, bodies of water, reinforced concrete walls, foil-insulated walls, and other similar construction materials may severely weaken a wireless signal passing through it.
  • The more devices that are sharing the wireless network, the less bandwidth is available for each device to use.  One or two devices may be 'hogging' bandwidth.  Try disconnecting some of the devices to improve performance on other devices.
  • All devices with an antenna are trying to send data over the air. Cordless phones, baby monitors, Bluetooth devices (i.e. wireless speakers, mouse) and neighboring wireless networks are all competing with the wireless network. Move Wi-Fi devices away from other transmitting devices, or turn them off when not in use.
  • For routers with antennas mounted on the outside of the casing, try adjusting the orientation of the antennas for maximum performance. For more modern routers with the antennas mounted internally, it is often best to mount the router vertically rather than horizontally, by using the special feet/brackets shipped with it.
  • Some cable modems may create interference with the router, so it is best to place the router at least 3 feet away from the modem.

If the issue still persists, you may need to try changing some wireless settings on the router.
To do this you will first need to log into the router's administrative interface:

1. Using a computer that is connected directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, launch a web browser. Examples of web browsers include Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox.
  2. Go to http://www.routerlogin.net. You can also try the following:
  3. You are prompted to enter a username and password.

Default login credentials are:
    • Username: admin
    • Password:  password

Note: both username and password are case sensitive. If the default login credentials do not work, you may have previously changed your default password. If you can't remember your new password, you'll need to reset your router to factory default settings. For more information, see Restoring a NETGEAR Router to Factory Default Settings

Some options to try in resolving your connection issues:

Try changing to a different wireless channel:

1. Click on Wireless Settings below the setup menu.
  2. Change the Channel (channels 1,6 and 11 are generally best, but any channel can be used).
  3. Click Apply and test for improvement in performance.

Note: The Wireless Settings option is available under Advanced Setup in routers with the newer genie interface.

Try reducing the connection speed:

(
This a a trade-off, as slower connections are usually more stable)

1. Click  Wireless Settings below the setup menu.
  2. Change the Mode to a lower speed.

Adjust advanced wireless settings:

1. Click Wireless Settings under Advanced.
  2. Change the Fragmentation Length and CTS/RTS Threshold values to 2304.

Related article:

Wireless Router Self-help

Message 27 of 44
wijopo
Aspirant

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 44
mjbondoc15
Initiate

Yo same issues here ever since i bought it last year, is there an actual fix?
Message 29 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi mjbondoc15,

What is the model number of your router?

What is the firmware version?

How many devices are affected?

Is it on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connection?

Message 30 of 44
VipeNess
Guide

I wanted to come back to this ticket to give an update since it's been forever since I had the device. Time after Time, I kept experiencing the same issue over and over. I ended up getting rid of the device and went with Ubiquiti. I've not had one problem since.
Message 31 of 44
RAEshbaugh
Aspirant

Drops as bad or worse than the X6 I had in both 2.4 and 5 bands. Repeatedly had Cox Cable out to check their equipment only to be informed that the router is the root cause of issues.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 32 of 44
RAEshbaugh
Aspirant

No, they have not fixed this issue and beta patch was equally unsuccessful. Greatly disappointed in product and company. Once they get your cash from the sale, the customer care drops to nil.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 33 of 44
mjbondoc15
Initiate

Hi james GL ill post it on probably tomorrow, i have 2 wired connected to it one tv and one for arlo with 5 cameras, plus one desktop 2 iphones and 1 tablet, ill be posting the model number and firmware,
Message 34 of 44
dfidoe
Aspirant

I have to reset my router multiple times per day.  WTH is going on?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 35 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi dfidoe,

What is the model number of your router?

What firmware version?

What is the specific issue you are getting with the router? 

Message 36 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi dfidoe,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 37 of 44
whiteswan
Guide

Firmware - v1.0.3.48.1.1.33

Tried everything on this thread - still get disconnects on 5ghz network every few days.

They just disappear from available networks - no devices show as connected to the 5ghz networks in Netgear Genie.

Too many people have the same problem.

When it is working its awesome - I get the full 300 meg dload wirelessly from my Virgin Media connection.

But when networks disappear/disconnect only way around it is to pull the power from the router and reboot.

Dave

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 38 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi whiteswan,

Have you tried changing channels for 5Ghz?

Have you tried to reset the router to factory default?

How many wireless devices are affected?

Message 39 of 44
whiteswan
Guide

Hi

Yes tried different channels

All my devices are affected - 26 of them

Yes tried factory reset.

With so many people being affected by this will it be addressed in a future update ?

Dave

Message 40 of 44
JamesGL
Master

Hi whiteswan,

Have you tried this firmware?

https://kb.netgear.com/000045842/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-54

Message 41 of 44
whiteswan
Guide

I gave up and asked Amazon to swap it - the new one is perfect.

I spent far too many hours trying different firmwares - taking 3 weeks to reply is just awful.

Dave

Message 42 of 44
Pawtech97
Aspirant

I have had this router for over a year and constantly fight it. If you can return it, do so. My biggest regret is not returning it soon enough. Constant wi-fi drops.
Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 43 of 44
whiteswan
Guide

My replacement has been rock solid for over 2 weeks now.

Dave

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7