Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi replacement for ethernet switch

kharzan
Tutor

Wifi replacement for ethernet switch

Hi there,

I currently have an ethernet switch (GS105 - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000E5SEQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I use to connect to my PC in my study.

But I now want to connect more wifi devices into this room, so was thinking of replacing the switch with a wifi version - would something like the NETGEAR R6400-100UKS AC1750  - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01560JJ6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

be appropriate? Does it use exactly the same power source and is it a good replacement? Or what would be a good suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Model: GS105|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi replacement for ethernet switch

Its a pretty rock solid extender. I have one and its worked great for me in both extender mode and access point mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The R6400 is a wireless router. You're other is just a switch. So the R6400 will use a different power supply that supplies more amperage. 

It should work fine but you'd probably want to run it in access point mode so you're not running into a double nat issue (2 routers running in router mode on 1 network)

Message 2 of 10
kharzan
Tutor

Thanks, looks like the 6400 is out of stock, is there a more recent or updated version of this then? 

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Most all of netgear routers have access point mode. 

As well as most of their extenders (not all) have access point mode. 

If you already have a router, you have quite a few options. 

Not sure what router you have currently but you could even look at upgrading your router and using IT as the access point (if it has that mode).

Or even upgrading to a mesh system so you have seamless roaming.

Again, lots of options

Message 4 of 10
microchip8
Master

The most reliable NG router firmware-wise (and hardware-wise) is the R7800. I've seen quite a few people with R6400 routers having problems either hardware ones or firmware ones

Message 5 of 10
kharzan
Tutor

I have a Sky Q router and unfortunately I don’t think it’s easily replaceable as the Sky Q boxes are notoriously bad at working with anything else!

I have google WiFi extenders around the house to boost the WiFi (which doesn’t extend very far without them) - but our bedroom in the loft always struggled so we ran a wire up there and put a 6400 which gave us our own little WiFi network in the room.

The google WiFi is struggling to get to my study now for whatever reason and I have a switch in that room from the sky router which I then run into my PC. As I need WiFi access too in that room now, my thought was to switch out the switch with something similar - I guess an extender would be the best bet as it’s connected to the existing router - but happy for alternative suggestions!
Message 6 of 10
kharzan
Tutor

Would the AC3000 be a safe bet if plugged into my existing router as a good extender then? To replace my switch and provide wifi strength in the room?

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

AC3000 is a speed, not a model. 

Message 8 of 10
kharzan
Tutor

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Its a pretty rock solid extender. I have one and its worked great for me in both extender mode and access point mode. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7