Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi speed issues with Nighthawk R7000

pnk_dia
Aspirant

Wifi speed issues with Nighthawk R7000

I have cable internet with a gigabit modem and the Netgear Nighthawk R700 router. I can't recall what speed I was paying for at the time but I was getting wired speed tests around 65-75Mbps and averaging consistently around 28Mbps on Wifi. I changed my plan and upgraded to a 250Mbps plan. With the new plan I'm getting wired speed tests of between 260-286Mbps but I'm still only getting wireless tests of 28Mbps. I connected to the Nighthawk app which allows you to test the speed the router is picking up from the modem and it's testing consistently over 250Mbps. Why am I topping out my Wifi speeds at 28Mbps? I have not added any devices or anything of the sort in the meantime. The only change I've made is to power cycle the modem and router to get the new signal from Comcast to achieve the new speeds. The router is running firmware version 1.0.9.34

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

@pnk_dia wrote:

Why am I topping out my Wifi speeds at 28Mbps?

That does seem low, but perhaps that is all that the wifi clients involved can handle.

Are they faster with other wifi sources?

Did you ever factory reset the R7000 after the firmware updates?

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

@pnk_dia wrote:

Why am I topping out my Wifi speeds at 28Mbps?

That does seem low, but perhaps that is all that the wifi clients involved can handle.

Are they faster with other wifi sources?

Did you ever factory reset the R7000 after the firmware updates?

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

Message 2 of 3
pnk_dia
Aspirant

Resetting the router seems to have worked. Now my speeds are less consistent but ranging between around 100 MBPS and 200 MBPS on WiFi. Thank you. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7