Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi very slow, download and upload .

leep58
Aspirant

Wifi very slow, download and upload .

For the last 2 weeks my Nighthawk has been very slow more so during peak times, 7/11pm.

My provider said that it could be a line problem and that a contractor would be out to look for this.

They did find a problem outside my premises, I have Fiber to the Node.

Now that this has been fixed the provider asked that I provide a speedtest with the Nighthawk not connected.

The speed showed it had a marked improvement coming directly from the Modem EG: Download and Upload is very good.

Yet when I am doing a speedtest via wifi via the Nighthawk its Downlaod and up load speeds are around 10% of the of capacity.

I have tried changing channels EG: 6 or 11, this seems to make it slower.

The provider says that it is not there problem but the Netgear NightHawk. I beg to differ so I am asking for any help that maybe at hand to fix this ongoing problem.

Regards Lee

Message 1 of 5

Re: Wifi very slow, download and upload .

@leep58 wrote:

Yet when I am doing a speedtest via wifi via the Nighthawk its Downlaod and up load speeds are around 10% of the of capacity.

Wifi speedtests measure the speed of your wifi, not your Internet connection. And wifi speeds depend on the wifi device you are using. They are never as fast as your Internet connection, often by a large margin.

To test the router's Internet speed, you need to run a wired Ethernet test.

@leep58 wrote:

I have tried changing channels EG: 6 or 11, this seems to make it slower.

That's to be expected. They are at 2.4 GHz, which is by definition slower than 5 GHz.

@leep58 wrote:

The provider says that it is not there problem but the Netgear NightHawk. I beg to differ so I am asking for any help that maybe at hand to fix this ongoing problem.

The speed of your local wifi has nothing to do with your Internet service provider. If you get the speed you pay for out of its modem, then the network is fine.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

@leep58 wrote:

For the last 2 weeks my Nighthawk----which nighthawk? you didn't give a model number for it or the firmware version its on? has been very slow more so during peak times, 7/11pm.

My provider said that it could be a line problem and that a contractor would be out to look for this.

They did find a problem outside my premises, I have Fiber to the Node.----What fibre ont/gateway do you have? 

Now that this has been fixed the provider asked that I provide a speedtest with the Nighthawk not connected.

The speed showed it had a marked improvement coming directly from the Modem EG: Download and Upload is very good.

I have tried changing channels EG: 6 or 11, this seems to make it slower.---If you're testing over 2.4ghz (which channel 6/11 implies) it will be quite slow. 2.4ghz is a much slower network than 5ghz. by a large margin. 

Regards Lee

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speeds do you get hardwired into the gateway? 

What speeds do you get hardwired into the router? not over wireless. wireless is sensitive to many factors such as interference, the number and antenna's in yours device, the device itself, testing over 2.4ghz or 5ghz, house size/structure. 

Message 3 of 5
leep58
Aspirant

These problems have only come about over the last 3 weeks, the provider sent a NBN contractor to find and fix the problem.

He stated that there were several problems that may hav e been the problem and he stated that he fels he fixed the problem.

Yet still during the peak time for internet during the hours of 7pm to Midnight the internet has a poor signal to provide a decent speed to operate my IPTV. 

This is not a coincidential that I still have the same problem that it is stated to have been fixed.

Firmware is up ti date and I have a clear view of the Nighthawk RX120 which I believe has 8 antenna's and 1 of the leading WIFI  routers on the market.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Firmware changes quickly as well as "up to date' isn't always up to date or even always the best. 

Which version are you on? 

What fibre ont do you have? 

Are you testing over the 2.4ghz? it will be slower than 5ghz. and more sensitive to interference. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7