Highlighted

Wifi wont restart after suspected dosR9000

After a suspected slow read DoS attack my wifi slowed way down with practically 0 upload and download speed after the initial crash ended. I could still run applications but they wouldn't fully work and if they did it'd be after a long time. I then reseted the router using the Netgear approved way and used the reset button when that failed. It then turned on but this time the internet light was a solid amber. After troubleshooting using genie it told me that the DHCP couldn't complete, the gateway was invalid and that DNS failed. I am completely clueless and i struggle with this sort of lingo and would much appreciate assistance. Cheers
Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Highlighted

Re: Wifi wont restart after suspected dosR9000

@Kevin_Patterson wrote:
After a suspected slow read DoS attack 

What's that?

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

@Kevin_Patterson wrote:
After troubleshooting using genie it told me that the DHCP couldn't complete, the gateway was invalid and that DNS failed.

Genie? Which of those did you use?

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements