Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Will not update. App installed Mod.# R6900v2

63GalaxieMan
Follower

Will not update. App installed Mod.# R6900v2

Bought the Nighthawk R6900v2 in May of 2018 been a great router. Still works but here's the rub- first time up dating since purchase. Went to web site said -download app to update. Now I'm on my iPad doing all of this; download went fine then tap OPEN and get a full page  FIRMWARE OUT OF DATE go to router login.net - tapped the bar & it goes to netgear.com Not routerlogin.com says clear cach & search history, done. Go in a circle ️ with routine 3 times 😒 Sooooo typed in Updates on the sales page gets me a page of many routers find mine, 5 d.l.s to chose. Top one - new firmware tap-d.l. & it does so. Then ask where to send - chose downloads - tap done & it takes me back to FIRMWARE OUT OF DATE. Same circus diff. town 4 times. Since the warranty is 🪦 ⚰️  no support unless one pays up. Option given > the community. So here I be be.  (1) why won't the firmware load &become UTD? The iPad is a Gen 5 w/ 15.0.2 up date. Where did I make the wrong turn & how far back? If anyone knows the fix give me a step by step instruction so I don't screw something up, Please.  🙏🏼. 🖖🏼
 I've rebooted Modem & Router 2 times.

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Never, ever update firmware using an app or WiFi unless you want a bricked device. Go to http://192.168.1.1 with a wired computer and manually update the firmware. http://routerlogin.net should work also

Message 2 of 4
Kitsap
Master

With a Netgear or any other brand consumer router, the only safe path to update firmware is using a real computer and a web browser program connected direct to the router with an ethernet cable.  Works with either Windows or iOS.  You would also do good to backup your configuration and to un mount and remove any USB devices before updating the firmware.  Do not use the backup settings file to configure a router with a different firmware version.

If you choose any other means, you will be fortunate if you do not kill your router or corrupt the firmware.

Some lessons cost more than others.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

@63GalaxieMan wrote:

Bought the Nighthawk R6900v2 in May of 2018 been a great router. Still works but here's the rub- first time up dating since purchase. Went to web site said -download app to update. Now I'm on my iPad doing all of this; download went fine then tap OPEN and get a full page  FIRMWARE OUT OF DATE go to router login.net - tapped the bar & it goes to netgear.com Not routerlogin.com says clear cach & search history, done. Go in a circle ️ with routine 3 times 😒 Sooooo typed in Updates on the sales page gets me a page of many routers find mine, 5 d.l.s to chose. Top one - new firmware tap-d.l. & it does so. Then ask where to send - chose downloads - tap done & it takes me back to FIRMWARE OUT OF DATE. Same circus diff. town 4 times. Since the warranty is 🪦 ⚰️  no support unless one pays up. Option given > the community. So here I be be.  (1) why won't the firmware load &become UTD? The iPad is a Gen 5 w/ 15.0.2 up date. Where did I make the wrong turn & how far back? If anyone knows the fix give me a step by step instruction so I don't screw something up, Please.  🙏🏼. 🖖🏼
 I've rebooted Modem & Router 2 times.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7