Re: Windows 10 Cannot Access ReadySHARE (Other Solutions Do Not Work)

LoneWolffe
Guide

Windows 10 Cannot Access ReadySHARE (Other Solutions Do Not Work)

I have a 3TB HDD connected to my R6700v2, and I cannot access it via normal channels.

I have attempted adding a Windows Credential and looking for a certain Windows Update KBxxxxxx, as suggested in other posts, but to no avail. The workarounds are alright, I guess, but I would like to be able to access this HDD as a Windows 10 Network Place.

Router Firmware Version V1.2.0.14_1.0.1

Windows 10 x64 Version 1709 Build 16299.192

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow."
@LoneWolffe
Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 70
JamesGL
Master

Hi LoneWolffe,

Please try this firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000054437/R6700v2-Firmware-Version-1-2-0-16

Let me know if the same problem happens.

Message 2 of 70
LoneWolffe
Guide

Updated to latest firmware. Still no dice. Followed instructions at: https://kb.netgear.com/24063/How-do-I-map-the-USB-device-attached-to-my-Nighthawk-router-to-a-Window... but Windows 10 says it cannot find it.

SS.1519520421.png

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow."
@LoneWolffe
Message 3 of 70
JamesGL
Master

Hi LoneWolffe,

Can you check if SMB1 is disabled on your computer.

Message 4 of 70
schumaku
Guru

@Case850wrote:

@JamesGLwrote:

Hi LoneWolffe,

@JamesGL, stop playing the game of half truths, you know full well that due to security reasons Microsoft are disabling SMB1.

The vulnerabilities you reference are in fact addressed on SAMBA for a longer time. But then I'm not convinced Netgear has updated all Nighthawk devices to some recent SAMBA version.

@Case850 wrote:

The question to ask you, does the Netgear R6700v2 support SMB3? If not, why not?

Supporting SMB3 does - at least for Netgear (proof on the R9000 v1.0.3.10) - apparently not include a discovery protocol available by default on recent Windows 10 updates. That would be WSD. Implemented today is still only NetBIOS host announcement (not working for most users the ReadySHARE (or whatever other alternate name configured) does not show up in Windows Explorer reliably as a PC/Server [had a Netgear ODM engineer peek and poke on my environment last week with no result], the NetBIOS name resolution seems to be slightly more reliable.

To come back on the OPs case - here the name resolution does fail. Potentially because of the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Feature is not installed on that PC, the WIndows 10 system is configured to connect to a public instead of a private network and the firewall is blocking, or whatever.

While having the CIFS/SMB 1.0 client feature set enabled on a Windows 10 system does not cause security issues, I'm convinced all the outdated SAMBA implementations on many Nighthawk routers might be vulnerable. My email with a long list of issues ref. Nighthawk routers (and prolly related systems using the same core) sent to the key people at Netgear is not answered yet. I've asked for not providing quick replies - I've asked for explanations and solutions.

Considering Microsoft has announced this change many years ago does not leave a good light on the Nighthawk (and Orbi/Orbi Pro) product management - very unprofessional, it's a shame we have to talk about these issues here on the early days of March 2018.

Greetings to downunder my friend @Case850 - let's continue the fight!

Message 5 of 70
IrvSp
Master

@Case850wrote:

@JamesGLwrote:

Hi LoneWolffe,

@JamesGL, stop playing the game of half truths, you know full well that due to security reasons Microsoft are disabling SMB1. The question to ask you, does the Netgear R6700v2 support SMB3? If not, why not?

No, they are not... at least not initially. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-serve... for details. Note the following points:

========

• Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.
  • In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional do not automatically remove SMB1 initially. If the SMBv1 client or server is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the time during which the computer is off), they each automatically uninstall themselves. 
  • Automatic removal of SMB1 after 15 days is a one-time operation. If an administrator re-installs SMB1, no further attempts will be made to uninstall it.
  • Because the Computer Browser service relies on SMBv1, the service is uninstalled if the SMBv1 client or server is uninstalled. This means that Explorer Network can no longer display Windows computers through the legacy NetBIOS datagram browsing method.
  • SMBv1 can still be reinstalled in all editions of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.

========

Some of that it appears contradicts your statement, MS is not disabling it IF you use it. Why? Because some systems require it to see and use shares. Your question of why the router doesn't support SMB2/3 is valid, but that doesn't change the reason you need SMB1 CLIENT. You don't need the SERVER however (recent changes to windows allows you to choose which of 3 features you want to run).

I can tell you from experience that the R7000 (and I'd assume MANY Nighthawk routers) were initially sold with SMB1 support and that has NOT been changed since then. I've seen reports even the R7800 doesn't have SMB2/3 support.

Without SMB1 CLIENT on your PC you can't issue a NEW VIEW command, but you can do a "NET USE drive: \\routername\share", that does work. However, other problems abound. Master Browser function will be broken unless ALL PC's are running SMB1 CLIENT. DLNA Clients might not work to the USB drive.

Again, you question to JamesGL is valid, but that still doesn't remove the need for SMB1, at least until the routers no longer require it.

You can Google "SMB1 WINDOWS 10 NETWORK SHARE" and other variants of the search for confirmation it is needed.

Message 6 of 70
schumaku
Guru

Users should not have to care about differences in Windows 10 installations, differences caused by updates, differences caused by migration between Windows 10 feature set releases. Fact is that NetBIOS and SMB 1.0 are obsolete technology in any aspect. As long as all (or most if you insist) Windows 10 systems are not able to see the ReadySHARE device as a PC/Share and access the shares by using the ReadySHARE configured name, Netgear has to change and enhance the Nighthawk/Orbi/Orbi Pro accordingly. Sorry @IrvSp - there is no need to protect Netgear based on some minor exceptions.

If you suspect that some Windows 10 installations are not compliant on the Microsoft documentation, please complain with Microsoft.

Message 7 of 70
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku, I am not protecting NG. I agreed the question to JamesGL is legitimate. What I'm trying to say is that MS has NOT removed, or removed fully, nor stopped you from using it. If you want to use NG's (and probably other vendor's routers as well) routers that still require SMB1, you'll have to use it.

NG's performance and history lately on Firmware Updates has NOT be stellar. See the recent flood of messages for V1.0.9.18 for instance. Putting in and taking out Arlo support has not gone smooth either, and Disney Circle seems to be problematic. Also the QoS changes have 'bitten' some. If there is a change for SMB1 to SMB2/3, I for one would not expect it to go smoothly either. I'd hope at least IF they do that that they fully beta test it before release.

Message 8 of 70
LoneWolffe
Guide

So I went and checked, and SMB1/CIFS were already installed, and my network is already set to private. Just for giggles, I disabled Windows Firewall on my Private Network, but was still unable to map a network place.SS.1519950505.png

@LoneWolffe
Message 9 of 70
IrvSp
Master

Still can't see your picture attached.

So with SMB1 running what do you get when you run in a CMD prompt:

• IPCONFIG /ALL
  • NET VIEW
  • NET VIEW \\READYSHARE (or the name of your Router share
  • NET VIEW \\192.168.1.1 (or the IP Address of your router)

What I see (with SMB1 running (all but the server) on W10 Home V1709);

======================

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Irv8700
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-B1-56-DD-6A-5B
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::58bf:9e27:bf45:87e8%5(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 2, 2018 4:10:18 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 3, 2018 4:10:17 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 49852758
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-04-98-17-F8-B1-56-DD-xx

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\READYSHARE           readyshare
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare
readyshare
Share name   Type  Used as  Comment
USB_Storage  Disk           read:admin;write:admin

C:\>net view \\192.168.1.1
Shared resources at \\192.168.1.1
readyshare
Share name   Type  Used as  Comment
USB_Storage  Disk           read:admin;write:admin

==============

Basically looking for any errors.

Ge
Message 10 of 70
schumaku
Guru

Just for your information ...

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Hostname . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kurt-N550J
Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . :
Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP-Routing aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
WINS-Proxy aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein

Drahtlos-LAN-Adapter Wi-Fi:

DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja
Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja
Verbindungslokale IPv6-Adresse . : fe80::b920:d7e6:649d:301d%20(Bevorzugt)
IPv4-Adresse . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.9(Bevorzugt)
Subnetzmaske . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease erhalten. . . . . . . . . . : Freitag, 2. März 2018 23:30:11
Lease läuft ab. . . . . . . . . . : Samstag, 3. März 2018 23:30:11
Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP-Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS-Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS über TCP/IP . . . . . . . : Aktiviert

Ethernet-Adapter Ethernet 3:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Leaf Networks Adapter #2

Servername Beschreibung

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\KURT-N550J
\\TVS-473 NAS Server
\\TVS-882ST2 TVS-882ST Thunderbolt NAS
Der Befehl wurde erfolgreich ausgeführt.

===>>> here the "readyshare" server must be visible - the NetBIOS host announcement does not properly work - while other systems become visible.

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Freigegebene Ressourcen auf \\readyshare

NETGEAR R9000

Freigabename Typ Verwendet als Kommentar

T_Drive Platte
Der Befehl wurde erfolgreich ausgeführt.

===>>> The NetBIOS name resolution for readyshare does work here - amazing, bit not good enough. This is where the Netgear engineers gave up, and confirmed there is a problem: Not even the legacy NetBIOS/SMB 1.0 stuff does correctly work.

Message 11 of 70
IrvSp
Master

My reply was really meant for @LoneWolffe @schumaku as at that time I couldn't see the JPG (I can now).

@LoneWolffe, please see my reply above.

@schumaku, what happens with NET VIEW \\192.168.1.1? Does that work? For me it did, bypassing NETBIOS names that way.

Also try these commands:

• NBTSTAT -c
  • NBTSTAT -r
  • NBTSTAT -A 192.168.1.1

Here is what I get:

=========

C:\>nbtstat -c

Ethernet:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.30] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table

Name              Type       Host Address    Life [sec]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    READYSHARE     <20>  UNIQUE          192.168.1.1         479
C:\>nbtstat -r

NetBIOS Names Resolution and Registration Statistics
    ----------------------------------------------------

Resolved By Broadcast     = 14
    Resolved By Name Server   = 0

Registered By Broadcast   = 4
    Registered By Name Server = 0

NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
---------------------------------------------
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒††
           READYSHARE     <00>
C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.1

Ethernet:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.30] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    READYSHARE     <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    READYSHARE     <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    READYSHARE     <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻<01>  GROUP       Registered
    HOME           <00>  GROUP       Registered
    HOME           <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    HOME           <1E>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00
=============

That crazy characters I can't figure out, suspect hex from a different screen set. I also just discovered that one of the PC's on was NOT running 2 features of SMB1, might be he cause but I can't reboot it know to see?

Message 12 of 70
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSpwrote:

My reply was really meant for @LoneWolffe @schumaku as at that time I couldn't see the JPG (I can now).

@schumaku, what happens with NET VIEW \\192.168.1.1? Does that work? For me it did, bypassing NETBIOS names that way.

Yes, the input was just intended as a comparison. As SAMBA is listening on 445/TCP and the R9000 here is configured to allow SMB 2.0 and 3.0 only, there is a SMB protocol negotiation, then SMB2 is used for the service enumeration.

@IrvSp wrote:

=========

C:\>nbtstat -c
    READYSHARE     <20>  UNIQUE          192.168.1.1         479
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††
           䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††䕒䑁卙䅈䕒††
           READYSHARE     <00>
C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.1
    ☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻<01>  GROUP       Registered
=============

That crazy characters I can't figure out, suspect hex from a different screen set. I also just discovered that one of the PC's on was NOT running 2 features of SMB1, might be he cause but I can't reboot it know to see?

Hard to say what is causing these entries bytes becoming visible as Chinese. The funny MSBROWSE GRPOUP entry is correct. In general, systems without a NetBIOS service implementation in place should not have an impact and never become visible.

Once READYSHARE was resolved once, the output looks similar to yours.

Message 13 of 70
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku, yes knew the MSBROWSER was correct.

Fixed the other W10 Pro PC. That was a clean install on 1/12/2018. SMB1 was used on it as late as 1 week ago. I used Windows Explorer on it to reach my PC and transfer a file. Somehow, SMB1 was turned off on it? Suspect some program or even a Windows Update. It happened on my PC once as well?

With the PC rebooted NET VIEW and other commands work fine on it. I now get a slightly different NBTSTAT output:

============================

Resolved By Broadcast     = 1
    Resolved By Name Server   = 0
    Registered By Broadcast   = 4
                   䕒䑁卙䅈䕒†††

=========================

NET VIEW is fine...

==========

Server Name            Remark

--------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\LARAINE-XPS8500      Laraine's XPS8500
\\READYSHARE           readyshare

========

As for the corrupt names, it is just that they are not registered in the DNS it seems, see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/12ba2cf6-7cb9-4dea-bbc8-92d494d8054c/netbi.... Nothing to worry about. In the case of the 2 PC above, they are both using FIXED IP Addresses. On the IPv4 Network Properties under Advanced on the WINS tab the NetBIOS setting is set to default. Should be set to Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and I gues it would clear that? However we've got some other devices on the network, iPad's, Smart TV's, FireTV Sticks, and even an Amazon Echo that may not conform, and I suspect they are the cause as well for the corrupt names?

Message 14 of 70
LoneWolffe
Guide

Yeah, I've been trying to figure this out, but this has already gone past my level of expertise.

C:\Users\benja>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LenovoZ70-80
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D0-53-49-E5-A2-B5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::690f:eb28:7892:55f6%5(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 4, 2018 7:25:30 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 5, 2018 7:25:30 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 63984457
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-22-2B-31-68-F7-28-69-7F-9F
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Users\benja>net view
Server Name Remark

\\LENOVOZ70-80 Z70-80

C:\Users\benja>net view \\192.168.1.1 (same for \\r6700v2 (my sharename))
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

C:\Users\benja>nbtstat -c

Wi-Fi:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.3] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

C:\Users\benja>nbtstat -r

Resolved By Broadcast = 0
Resolved By Name Server = 0

Registered By Broadcast = 6

C:\Users\benja>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.1

Wi-Fi:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.3] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

I hope this is helpful, please forgive my inexperience.

@LoneWolffe
Message 15 of 70
IrvSp
Master

Hmm, seems like nothing is wrong with TCP/IP from what you posted.

Check THIS LINK but it is more for things to possibly do than do all. Troubleshooter would be one I'd try.

Also, wonder if your FIREWALL is in the way? I had McAfee LiveSafe and you had to specify the full LAN as TRUSTED... could 'sleep' the firewall for a few minutes and try the NET VIEW again I guess? Also VERIFY SMB1 Client is on again.

Message 16 of 70
LoneWolffe
Guide

=/ i tried net view \\r6700v2 with firewalls disabled (netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off) and my security software disabled, but no dice. as far as i can tell, SMB1 is still active.

I'm using Windows Firewall (all defaults), IOBit Advanced SystemCare Ultimate, and IOBit Malware Fighter

SS.1520217782.png

I had this set up once before, and I have no idea what was different back then. The annoying thing is I can access it (sort of) in Windows Explorer via "This PC\r6700v2\Browse Folders\U"

@LoneWolffe
Message 17 of 70
IrvSp
Master

In a CMD prompt run "sc query mrxsmb10" to see if SMB1 is running...

C:\>sc query mrxsmb10

SERVICE_NAME: mrxsmb10
        TYPE               : 2  FILE_SYSTEM_DRIVER
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

Message 18 of 70
LoneWolffe
Guide

Same result on my machine, which I'm guessing means SMB1 is running. =)

@LoneWolffe
Message 19 of 70
MontyTheLab2
Guide

Can ANYONE fix this stupid issue? I wish that I threw this r7800 in the garbage 6 hours ago.

Message 20 of 70
LoneWolffe
Guide

So I gave up trying and I just use FileZilla to FTP files to my network-HDD. I found VLC Media Player works well to stream music and movies I have stored there. (Otherwise, I am not bothering with Win 10 file manager integration.)

@LoneWolffe
Message 21 of 70
aoz
Tutor
Tutor

i have been screwing aroung with systems all morning, 2 machines, windows updates, trying to get router READYSHARE to work, logging into netgear community, RE-validating my email, etc, etc, etc.  IT IS NUTS - we are SLAVES to these companies.  I have 40+ years experience in this crap - I just want to INSTAL an update, and have the other stuff still work. I do not have TIME, netgear, to continue to TWEAK microsoft settings to match what you require for lessening the security.

anyway, this post is great !

Message 22 of 70
LoneWolffe
Guide

if anything, it's a good place to rant, haha!

@LoneWolffe
Message 23 of 70
aoz
Tutor
Tutor

agreed ..   it is TOTALLY frustrating,  I use Paragon backup program, and they had an issue with not recognizing network drives.  I have posted multiple items to them, (screenshots of errors, etc).  The FINALLY gvot it fixed;  and my goal was to use this with the \ReadyShre drive.  NOW, I can't even reliably GET to the \\ReadyShare drive !  if it is not one piece of software, it is another.    NUTS !!

Message 24 of 70
schumaku
Guru

@aoz wrote:

NOW, I can't even reliably GET to the \\ReadyShare drive !  if it is not one piece of software, it is another.    NUTS !!

Have the SMB 1.0/CIFS Windows Feature (both client and server) - as the later one does include the NetBIOS discovery and name resolution - enabled?

Windows Features - SMB 1.0-CIFS all ticked.PNG

That's not a tweak, we just have to enable the feature again - It was disabled from Windows 10 as a part of a Microsoft migration and Windows lifecycle management processes. For communications between Microsoft Windows systems these features are no longer required, so there is no need to have these installed on each Windows system - very similar to dozens of other features which can be enabled if required, or disabled if not required.  

Now, don't ask why the ReadyShare (or whatever name you have configured for it) name does not show up as a PC/File Share on the network - another legacy storage NAS with just NetBIOS does show up properly.

Resolving the readyshare name does work reliably here:

C:\> net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare

NETGEAR R9000

Share name Type Used as Comment

T_Drive Disk

Message 25 of 70
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 69 replies