Re: Windows cannot access \\Readyshare

easleyt
Aspirant

Windows cannot access \\Readyshare

I have the Nighthawk R7800 X4S router with WD (WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN) 1TB USB powered drive connected to USB 1. The USB 1 light is on, the drive light blinks, and in the admin console I was able to change the share name from default (USB_Storage) to a name I chose. When I try to connect from Windows it cannot find the drive "Windows cannot access \\Readyshare". (I turned on Network Discovery). I tried both with and without the share name.

Also in the admin page when I choose ReadyCLOUD I get a 404 error in the admin page.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 12
PalazzoBlues
Initiate

Wow, no replies? I've got the same issue. I even came up with this error in windows 10:

net use \\10.0.0.1\readyshare
System error 384 has occurred.

You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747

I did a little more research and it looks like Netgear does not support SMBv2. Microsoft removed SMBv1 from Windows 10 a long time ago. I just purchased a $450 Nighthawk X10. I've upgraded to the latest firmware. I'm very disappointed right now.

Message 2 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Try NET VIEW \\10.0.01 and see what happens? Should match NET VIEW \\READYSHARE.

READYSHARE is the DEVICE NAME, it is not the shared folder name, unless you named it that. Either of the commands above will show you the shared folder names.

Message 3 of 12
NicoVisser
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

Try NET VIEW \\10.0.01 and see what happens? Should match NET VIEW \\READYSHARE.

READYSHARE is the DEVICE NAME, it is not the shared folder name, unless you named it that. Either of the commands above will show you the shared folder names.

I have the same issue.When i first turned the router on with the drives connected it worked and within 5 minutes I could no longer view the usb drives connected to the router

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Slightly different problem than what the original problem is, but a few of us have this problem, see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Problem-with-NET-VIEW-W10-R7000-most-recent-.... Trying to track down the problem, could be MS, could be NG, or both.

Problem seems to be a combination of the Master Browser, SMB 1.0, and the Netgear firmware or possibly a just a bug in the Netgear Firmware?

Message 5 of 12
jmowery007
Tutor

I'm running W10 (home), R8000 router, Seagate 1TB storage connect directly to router.  Router doesn't see the USB device, windows doesn't see readyshare.  Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 12
IrvSp
Master

I'd start a new Subject for this. Better chance of it seen by someone that has the same router and possibly the same problem.

If the Router can't see the USB drive, then it can't share it.

Possible problem IF the USB Drive is a 'portable'. Desktop drives have their own power supply.  Portables do not have a power supply and use the USB port for power. Some drives take more power than the port can deliver and hence do not work.

Make sure the drive is on the accepted drive list and if it is, post to new subject.

The 'unofficial list' is here --> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Unofficial-HDD-Compatibility-List-Please-add....

Message 7 of 12
easleyt
Aspirant

This is the drive I am using:

WD 1TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN

It is powered via USB.

Still unable to connect using the previous suggestions

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 8 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@easleyt wrote:

This is the drive I am using:

WD 1TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN

It is powered via USB.

Still unable to connect using the previous suggestions

Like I said, portables have been a problem. USB 3.0 generally requires more power from the port as well. Same goes for a Flash/Thumb drive. Might work, might not?

Have you tried the USB 2.0 port with it?

Don't know how new that drive is, but I had problems with a MyBook 4TB (powered) initially. Reason was the FileSystem.

If you've got nothing on the drive, take it to a PC an reformat it to NTFS, might help.

I see others have used it, see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/WD-Elements-WDBUZG0010BBK-EESN/m-p/514466#M1...  Slightly different model though, EESN  vs. BESN. Not sure what the differences are?

Message 9 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@Case850 wrote:

@IrvSp 

>>Like I said, portables have been a problem. USB 3.0 generally requires more power from the port as well. Same goes for a Flash/Thumb drive. Might work, might not?

>>Have you tried the USB 2.0 port with it?

The R7800 has 2 x USB3 ports and is thus able to deliver more power to both USB2 & USB3 external devices. The whole reason USB3 has higher power specs was to address the power limitations of USB2 particularly for non powered portable devices.

Sorry, I was thinking the R7000 which I have.

Message 10 of 12
NicoVisser
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

@Case850 wrote:

@IrvSp 

>>Like I said, portables have been a problem. USB 3.0 generally requires more power from the port as well. Same goes for a Flash/Thumb drive. Might work, might not?

>>Have you tried the USB 2.0 port with it?

The R7800 has 2 x USB3 ports and is thus able to deliver more power to both USB2 & USB3 external devices. The whole reason USB3 has higher power specs was to address the power limitations of USB2 particularly for non powered portable devices.

Sorry, I was thinking the R7000 which I have.

Hi there,

All worked before and all connected USB drives have their own external power feed.

Message 11 of 12
PalazzoBlues
Initiate

There is a beta firmware you can download from NetGear. I did try that. On the first reboot, I successfully got the readyshare to work. One the second and subsequent reboots it failed again. After the beta firmware update my 2.4 and 5G wireless became unusable. For those reasons, I decided to return the R9000. It was not worth the headaches.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements