Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows states 650 mbps connection, but my throughput is only 55mbps

gjhodgson
Initiate

Windows states 650 mbps connection, but my throughput is only 55mbps

My netgear EX8000 shows as giving a very good connection throughout my home - usually between 650 to 750mbps on 5GHz AC anywhere in the house.

However, test using a file transfer and I only achieve 55mbps.

Also, Internet speed is significantly slower than hard wired.  If I connect directly via ethernet cable to my main router I get 40-45mbps download speed.  But via wifi, even if sat right next to the router, I only get 30mbps on 5 GHz AC - that's quite a loss of speed even though my connection states 650-750 mbps.

What's going on and what's my solution?

Thanks

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
gjhodgson
Initiate

Re: Windows states 650 mbps connection, but my throughput is only 55mbps

The problem has been resolved - it was due to the use of old drivers for my Intel WiFi card in my laptop.  Now that the drivers have been updated I get the same throughput (i.e. around 40mbps) from my Internet service provider regardless of if my laptop is connected via WiFI or via ethernet.  File downloads over WifFi are also much quicker.

Thanks - I wouldn't have guessed it was a driver problem though since my laptop always showed a good connection speed (which was missleading).  Anyway, everything is working great now.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

It sounds like your router is the bottleneck. If its only got a 40-45mbps speed directly connected, then your extender speeds aren't going to be any faster than that and should be a little bit slower because of network overhead/latency. 

What router do you have? 

Message 2 of 4

What Internet speed are you paying for?

The EX8000 may show great speeds on the Internet network, from device to device, but going out to the Internet depends on the service you get.

Message 3 of 4
gjhodgson
Initiate

The problem has been resolved - it was due to the use of old drivers for my Intel WiFi card in my laptop.  Now that the drivers have been updated I get the same throughput (i.e. around 40mbps) from my Internet service provider regardless of if my laptop is connected via WiFI or via ethernet.  File downloads over WifFi are also much quicker.

Thanks - I wouldn't have guessed it was a driver problem though since my laptop always showed a good connection speed (which was missleading).  Anyway, everything is working great now.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7