Wired connection problems

wadsface
Guide

Wired connection problems

Bought the R7800 a couple months ago, and I have been having frustrating issues since.  I have my main PC and a NAS hooked up via ethernet to the router and every other device in the house is WiFi.  I have zero problems with WiFi, range and speed are a nice upgrade from the Asus RT-N66R I replaced.  My issue is with the main wired PC.  I do not keep it on all the time, I shut it down overnight, sometimes a few days at a time.  The problem I have is when I initially boot the PC it does not connect to the router at all.  The adapter (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V) says "Unidentified Network, no internet access" and I can not reach the router throught the web portal or through the Genie app.  The only thing that fixes the problem is rebooting the router, which takes a second, my PC connects and all is well until the next time I turn it on.  I would say it happens 80% of the time I boot up my PC and today (7/31/2016) I actually had it drop during use and become "unidentified."

So far my troubleshooting has been:

Switched ethernet cables

Switched ports on the router

Set my PC to static IP

Disabled IPv6 on the adapter

Updated to latest version of firmware on the router (currently v1.0.2.04)

Checked the logs on my NAS, it does not appear lose internet connection

Uninstalled and reinstalled my network adapter, checked for newest firmware

This started happening immediately after purchasing the router.  As the problem is workable with a reboot I decided to be patient and see if a firmware update resolved it, but after updating recently it persists and seems to have gotten worse.  I am happy with the router other that this issue, but this is unacceptable in its current condition.

I looked through the forums here and saw one other person with a similar issue but there was not solution, most of the issues like mine are with wireless connectivity, which works fine for me.

Thanks for any help.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Wired connection problems

try using address reservations for PC

Message 2 of 24
VE6CGX
Master

Do you power off NAS as well as PC? I power off NAS but PC is sleeping when not in use. I never turn my PC off. Any how check the advanced setting nd power management settings on the NIC card property.

Message 3 of 24
wadsface
Guide

@searay wrote:

If you mean setting the PC to a static IP address on my home network work, I have tried this to no avail, thanks for the reply

Message 4 of 24
wadsface
Guide

@VE6CGX wrote:

Do you power off NAS as well as PC? I power off NAS but PC is sleeping when not in use. I never turn my PC off. Any how check the advanced setting nd power management settings on the NIC card property.

I do not power off the NAS, I use the cloud/streaming features often. I turn off my PC as it is a big gaming PC that is loud draws a bit of power and the room it is in gets hot with out the AC unit on. I just turn it off when not in use.  I prefer to turn it off as opposed to sleeping it as I have SSDs and it boots up quick enough, I am not concerned about quickly starting and using it.

Message 5 of 24
VE6CGX
Master

You should try at least for testing purpose. Sleeping reduces power consumption for ure. I have SSD as well as 7200rpm STAT drives,

old SCSI drives.

HDD spins down too. Any how, NIC better stay up at reduced power for an example for WOL use. Ethernet port indicator next to RJ45 is always

on for that.

Message 6 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@wadsface wrote:

@searay wrote:

If you mean setting the PC to a static IP address on my home network work, I have tried this to no avail, thanks for the reply

No! I mean use address reservations in router   LAN   setup.

Message 7 of 24
wadsface
Guide

@VE6CGX wrote:

You should try at least for testing purpose. Sleeping reduces power consumption for ure. I have SSD as well as 7200rpm STAT drives,

old SCSI drives.

HDD spins down too. Any how, NIC better stay up at reduced power for an example for WOL use. Ethernet port indicator next to RJ45 is always

on for that.

You are right, I should try to sleep to test if there is a change, thanks for the idea!

Message 8 of 24
wadsface
Guide

@searay wrote:

@wadsface wrote:

@searay wrote:

No! I mean use address reservations in router   LAN   setup.

I have done this, this is what I did that I refered to as "static IP," I believe my old routers terminology was "set a static IP" as opposed to address reservation.  I have tried it both ways with no change.

Message 9 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ok, just being sure because they're not the same

Message 10 of 24
coolguy949
Apprentice

wadsface, are you still having this issue? I haven't experienced it myself but this morning one of my PCs that has been off for a week asked me to again select Home, Work or Public with Windows Firewall. It reminded me of your issue and I wonder if this is a symptom of the Unidentified network issue in R7800 I've read about in a couple places.
Message 11 of 24
wadsface
Guide

Well I have acutally had pretty good luck with it this last week, it only did it twice of maybe 5 times turning the PC on.  I have not experienced what you are talking about,  it does not ask me to choose the network type after I reboot the router or when turning on the PC, thanks for the thought though.

I actually got an RMA for the unit and should receive my replacement tomorrow.  I had put up with the issue so long that I was almost out of my free phone support timeframe so I just had them send me a new one.  I will see if that fixes the issue and will definitely report back if it does not.

Message 12 of 24
wadsface
Guide

Just to update this, I RMA'd the router and the new unit seems to be working fine, I have had it for just over a week now and the original issue has not happened at all. I am still getting my good wireless signals and the PC I use for gaming nightly is working just fine on ethernet. I will update the thread if anything further happens, but so far it appears I had a bad unit.

Message 13 of 24
Nian73
Guide

I have the Netgear Nighthawk X4 that I bought 2 weeks ago. The only thing I have wired to it is my Xbox One and every couple of days it will say "Cannot connect to your dhcp server". So I have to reset it every time. As soon as I unplug the Ethernet cable it connects to wifi with no problem. All the other wifi devices are all working fine. I'm wondering since I can still return it to Amazon and get a new one, but I'm afraid it will just do the same thing.
Message 14 of 24
JamesGL
Master

Hi Nian73,

Please try connecting to other ethernet port of  the router. Use other computer as well to check the wired connection if still the same. Use a different ethernet cable.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 15 of 24
Nian73
Guide

I've done all these things. It's the same issue everyone on this thread has. Wireless works with no problem at all. It's anything that is wired. After I turn off the wired device the next day I have to reset the router. I paid $200+ for a reason and I don't want to reset my router every single day.
Message 16 of 24
Nian73
Guide

Also I also have an Xbox 360 connected by Ethernet on a different port and that also won't connect to the Internet until a router reset.
Message 17 of 24
coolguy949
Apprentice

@ElaineM, can you tell us if this is an issue you are tracking and planning to address in a firmware update soon? It seems this is becoming more common...

Message 18 of 24
JamesGL
Master

Hi Nian73,

Have you tried connecting a different device aside from your Xbox? It seems you are only using the Xbox to test the wired connection. Try using a different device like computer and observe if the same problem.

Message 19 of 24
Nian73
Guide

I connected 2 different laptops, used different ports, used different and brand new cables and problem still persists.
Message 20 of 24

Same thing just happened to my R7800 yesterday. I have several Ethernet wired devices and all of them stopped getting internet connection. Some wireless cameras stopped working but for the most part wireless connection was working. I spent hours with support, who was convinced that it was a problem with my wired devices, troubleshooting the problem. No matter what they tried they could not fix it. After couple hours the support tech finally agree to create an RMA ticket. What is more disappointing is the router barely 4 month old.

Before I bought Netgear I tried several different brands (Asus, TP-Link) all had some kind of issue and after reading many positive reviews I thought R7800 would be stable and long lasting. But after 4 month it stopped working. On top this Netgear charges $140 to extend free support once the free support expires after 3 month. Three Month, $140!!!! I can buy another router for that amount. Their voice activated support system is horrendous. It took me 10 time to repeat the word "yes" and number "4". By the time a tech support person came I was so angry that I could even talk to the guy.

Message 21 of 24
LeeH
Prodigy

Netgear routers have a problem in that they will give out an already used IP address to a device that is being turned back on or is re-entering the network, like cell phones.

The way around this is to reserve all your IP addresses in the router. 

First turn off everything that is connected to your network.  Then reset the router by pressing in the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink.

Then turn on the router and go into the Advanced tab and select Setup and LAN Setup under that.  Use the +Add button at the bottom of the page to add the IP address of the computer you are using and click Apply at the top of the screen.

Continue to turn on your devices one at a time +Adding each one at a time.

You should end up with unique IP addresses reserved for each device that connects to your network.  No more IP conflicts.

Message 22 of 24
AlexusSmile
Aspirant

Hi everybody,

I can confirm the issue with mine too (running 1.0.2.20). The DHCP server gives up on the wired network after roughly 20h. Neither the Xbox One S or the gaming PC get anything done. As it is the same DHCP server for both Wi-Fi and Ethernet, maybe the switch stops responding. Also to note that the DHCP seems to be very stable, as according to the logs my laptop is requesting IP renewal roughly every 20 seconds and it works.

Once Ethernet stops, it doesn't take too much traffic over Wi-Fi to make that one stop too (managed a couple of hours before the Netflix app crashed due to dropped connection).

Can the people that don't have the issue share what FW version they are using, so we can test?

Regards,

Alexus

Message 23 of 24

This all nice and dandy, but do I have to assign IPs. Nowhere in the configuration instructions it says setting IPS required. It should work as it is. if does not worknow then it is a software design flaw and should be fixed. I should not waist my time on the phone with the support and then more time searching the Web for the solution, then waiting days with out internethe for a router replacement. I paid money for it it should work.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E