Highlighted
Follower

Wired works and WIFI does not with Samsung Smart TV

Hello All,

I have added a new router to my home network, a Nighthawk X6S Tri-band wifi router.

Also picked up a Samsung 55" smart TV.

Comcast cable 15/75 with speeds usually around 12/85 in a wired test.

If I run the Samsung smart TV on a wired connection it handles all bandwidth I request.

If I run the Samsung smart TV on WIFI is pauses and states not enough band width for device. If I sit with my Mac Book Pro 2011 era laptop I can stream WIFI movies (Netflix, Amazaon, HBO, Starz) with out a drop, all other handheld devices never have a problem. Does anyone have an idea why the WIFI will work just fine with my apple handheld devices but the Samsung smart TV hangs. In our home we run two iphones, two pads, one laptop on WIFI. Downstairs we run PS4 and W10 PC on a wired connection, never have a bandwidth problem with wired. My home is small, 1000sq ft so the range is not the issue, and remember other apple ios devices never have an issue. I'd rather not have to run a wired connection to the Samsung smart TV as I would have to go up from the basement to the attic and then down throught the wall and fish the tape down and open a hole in the wall, I'm old and don't want to climb up in the attic, been there done that not fun.

What is the reason my Samsung WIF signal is dropping.

Regards,

Bellakin

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted

Re: Wired works and WIFI does not with Samsung Smart TV

That everything else works OK while the TV plays up suggests strongly that the TV is the problem. This is often the case with "smart" devices. The router is behaving itself, but the TV is being a pain.

Did you have the TV connected to an older wifi network? If so, it might be a good idea to reset the TV and set up the wifi again from scratch. It may still be looking for the old wifi source.

Why not just stick with the wired connection? That is always going to be better. Faster and more reliable. If it is a case of not wanting to run wires around the place, I use Powerline Ethernet for this task.

@Bellakin wrote:

I have added a new router to my home network, a Nighthawk X6S Tri-band wifi router.

That does not tell us the model number. Your footer lists the EX8000, but that is a wifi extender and not the router you say you bought. The router will have a model number something like RXXXX.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Master

Re: Wired works and WIFI does not with Samsung Smart TV

How far is the TV from the router and how many walls or other signal obstacles are there between the router and TV? I have a Samsung smart TV that works fine wirelessly. If you go into settings and status does the wireless show connected? One thing that might work is to do a disconnect of the wireless and then do a reconnection.  

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements