Wireless LEDs constantly flashing

ablatt
Apprentice

Wireless LEDs constantly flashing

I've noticed on my R7000 running stock 1.0.4.18 firmware that both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz LEDs flash constantly. I am running in AP (Access Point) mode, connected to another Linksys Router running Tomato.

I am only using the 5GHz band.

The 2.4GHz LED flashes even without any 2.4GHz devices connected.

If I look at the Statistics page I can see that TxPkts continually increases on the 2.4GHz connection (about 5 every 5 seconds), while RxPkts stays constant.

Can I assume that 1) the LED will flash even if the R7000 is only trasmitting and not receiving on 2.4GHz, and 2) that some sort of normal regular broadcast is being sent out on both bands?
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Wireless LEDs constantly flashing

My guess it's the beacon. If not using 2.4 turn it off
Message 2 of 8
ablatt
Apprentice

searay wrote:
My guess it's the beacon. If not using 2.4 turn it off

Thanks, I never thought of the Beacon. I do use the 2.4 periodically for guests, so I will just leave it on. At least I now know why the 2.4 LED flashes every few seconds all the time.
Message 3 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The router has to process data from other networks (routers and clients), it can’t predict that the data is not going to be from an associated client until it has received something to process.
ablatt
Apprentice

Babylon5 wrote:
The router has to process data from other networks (routers and clients), it can’t predict that the data is not going to be from an associated client until it has received something to process.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this?
Message 5 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Until the router has processed wireless data transmitted in a broadcast it does not know if it’s legitimate data from one of your client devices or not. So even though your devices may all be shut down the router will be ready and waiting and will continue processing wireless data at a low level. There are other WiFi protocols that require both router and client devices to monitor transmissions of other networks, typically for interoperability purposes.

Not sure if that's any clearer?
RogerSC
Virtuoso

If I recall, the R7000 also sends out a wireless packet (apparently USB-device related) every so often, whether you have USB turned on or not. This has been discussed here in the past...for example, I have no USB devices connected to the router, I have specifically turned off all the USB settings that I can, yet the router is sending out a packet every so often (don't remember, maybe every 5 seconds?) looking for USB devices.

So yes, as long as 2.4GHz. is turned on, there will be activity there...the beacon has already been mentioned.
Message 7 of 8
ablatt
Apprentice

Thanks for the clarification guys.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements