Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wireless bridge with two R7000 Nighthawk routers

we7nerds
Initiate

Wireless bridge with two R7000 Nighthawk routers

I'm trying to setup a wireless bridge between my main R7000 Nighthawk in the house to another R7000 Nighthawk in the detached garage, so I don't have to run an ethernet cable out there. The first step I took was to update the firmware on both routers to the latest patch. It seems that might have been a mistake.

I followed the user guide as closely as possible: setting up the same security, SSID, etc. I've looked at dozens of posts as well as the user manual, but it seems that the latest firmware updates have disabled this function – maybe not intentionally but by conflicting updates. In the Wi-Fi settings, there are only four options for security: “none” and 3 others. WEP isn't one of them. However, some of the information says you need to use WEP security. Others omit any comment about security, which lead me to believe that any of the security options would be acceptable. But when setting up bridge mode the router gives an error listing out all three security options as incompatible with bridge mode.

I even tried setting up with no security (none). However, that didn’t work either. I should say, I was able to successfully see the child router as an attached device, but attaching my laptop to it, the laptop failed to connect to the network. Even if it had worked, I’d not want to leave my network wide open like that anyway.

Has anyone been able to successfully setup bridge mode (with some sort of security) with the V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 firmware?

I appreciate your help.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
we7nerds
Initiate

I figured it out. My original plan was wireless bridge. Then I got sidetracked and wanted to try repeater mode. That's what didn't work for me. I went back and tried this all again using bridge mode. Super easy to setup. All I had to do was: 

1. factory reset the router I wanted to use as a bridge
  2. follow the instructions on page 137 of the User Manual
  3. let it reboot
  4. refresh my laptop's network interface
  5. Boom! everything worked as expected. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
we7nerds
Initiate

I figured it out. My original plan was wireless bridge. Then I got sidetracked and wanted to try repeater mode. That's what didn't work for me. I went back and tried this all again using bridge mode. Super easy to setup. All I had to do was: 

1. factory reset the router I wanted to use as a bridge
  2. follow the instructions on page 137 of the User Manual
  3. let it reboot
  4. refresh my laptop's network interface
  5. Boom! everything worked as expected. 
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements