Aspirant

Wireless connection issues

After recent power outage my internet connection no longer works.  I am able to connect to the internet if I plug my desktop directly into my Netgear cm cm1150v modem but my router shows no internet connectivity.  How do I fix this?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Master

Re: Wireless connection issues

Too little information to even hazard a guess?

What is the state of the router? LED colors would help? I'll assume ALL OFF, but maybe some are on and the colors would help here.

Again, other than direct connect to the modem, no more info provided, but you stated this, "After recent power outage my internet connection no longer works."? Was that do to a lightning stike or power company dropping power?

You seemed to have confirmed you do have Internet though via the modem. What other debug have you tried?

No clear what the problem is, or even IF you can get to the GUI of the router? Is it safe to assume you can?

Message 2 of 10
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  On the router, the power light is solid, the 3 network lights blink white.  The internet light is amber.  

I've gone into the router administration which shows no internet.  I've tried rediscovering the internet but no success.  I've loaded the router mac address but no success.  I've been in contact with my network provider and they've recycled the modem and I'm able to connect to via ethernet from the modem to the desktop.  I called netgear and they said I have to "manually" clear the amber light and sent me some files but I don't see where it says how to do that.

Message 3 of 10
Aspirant

Also, in the advanced tab in the router admin dhcp is on, ip adress is 0.0.0.0 connection is dhcp ip subnet mask is 0.0.0.0 domain name server is 0.0.0.0 wan preference is internet port (1gbps)

I went into the connection status, all boxes show zeros.  I hit release then hit renew, no change.

Message 4 of 10
Master

@Prybsinmnaine wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  On the router, the power light is solid, the 3 network lights blink white.  The internet light is amber.  

Not good possibly. Amber/Red could indicate a slow connection or none to the modem.

When you connected to the modem via a PC, did you use the cable from the modem to the router? If you did, it isn't the cable. If you used a cable that was in the PC to connect to the modem, then it is possible the modem to router cable is bad. Try using a different cable.

@Prybsinmnaine wrote:

I called netgear and they said I have to "manually" clear the amber light and sent me some files but I don't see where it says how to do that.

Interesting, usually you can't do that? Was it the 'real' NG support or some phone number you found on a web search?

What files were sent? I'll assume it was a ZIP file, only one? Maybe a readme with it?

Suspect it is a FLASH for the Firmware. You didn't mention the one you are on though now? I seriously don't think a f/w upgrade will fix this? Either a cable or h/w failure is what I think it is without more details.

Message 5 of 10
Aspirant

Swapped out the original cable from modem to router - no change, still amber internet light.

I called the "real" Netgear and got to the point where they were going to troubleshoot before asking me to pay $50 for three months support.  I asked if there were publications I could read and she said yes and sent me three "I cannot access the Internet with my NETGEAR router; what troubleshooting steps should I follow?", "How do I set up my NETGEAR router using the router web interface?" and "No Internet with new router - MAC spoofing"  I've done the first two but haven't tried the third yet.

I updated the firmware, still amber on the internet light.

The only thing the manual says about this is that it might be the ISP has the wrong MAC address.  I have a technician coming tomorrow which will confirm that as the solution.

Interestingly, I just connected an old router (not a netgear) to the modem and it, too, displays the amber light on the internet connection.  This leads me to suspect it may be the ISP after all.

Message 6 of 10
Master

ISP can't usually help you here other than verify that the ISP's modem is working and they can look at the log and see that.

Now it IS possible the MODEM has to be reset. During a power failure both the modem and router will restart. However they have to be done in order. Modem first until fully up, then the router.

The modem will 'remember' the last device connected to it. That is why it generally needs to be powered down and then up again and this flushes the remembered device last attached. Possible that was corrupted during the power loss and the router came up first and it never got updated. That would explain why the PC worked, but even when it did, you should have powered off the modem when changing it back to the router and with the router off and power both devices back on in order. Did you do that?

Message 7 of 10
Aspirant

Shut off router and modem, rebooted modem brought back up router - no internet

Message 8 of 10
Aspirant

I'm going to take the router to a friends house to see if it works there

Message 9 of 10
Aspirant

So I swapped out the modem and the problem was solved.  

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements