Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless devices not visible to apps

kenocrates
Tutor

Wireless devices not visible to apps

I have the R7000 configured as an access point. Both wired and wireless devices are assigned an IP from the upstream router as expected. I can access the internet from both wired and wireless devices. But wireless devices that connect locally, like home automation devices such as outlet switches, locks, harmony hub, are not visible to apps that use them. 

What am I missing?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Wireless devices not visible to apps

If all these IoT are on the R7000 in AP mode, it tastes to me that either the Wifi config does suppress direct connections between wireless devices in AP mode (no UI control AFAIK) or some protocols like broadcast, multicast, ICMP multicast - whatever is used - are blocked.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Are these "connect locally" IoT devices associated with the R7000 WLAN AP or the upstream (assuming WLAN) router?

Message 2 of 11
kenocrates
Tutor

The AP. Wireless is not abled on the WLAN router.

Message 3 of 11
kenocrates
Tutor

@Case850wrote:

What is your upstream router?

Cisco DPC3848V with wireless disabled.

Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

If all these IoT are on the R7000 in AP mode, it tastes to me that either the Wifi config does suppress direct connections between wireless devices in AP mode (no UI control AFAIK) or some protocols like broadcast, multicast, ICMP multicast - whatever is used - are blocked.

Message 5 of 11
kenocrates
Tutor

@Case850wrote:

Does the Cisco DPC3848V see the devices connected to the R7000(AP mode) as one mac address or individual mac addresses?

Also assuming you using the WAN port from the R7000(AP mode)?

All devices appear on Cisco router with unique MACs. R7000 connects to it through WAN port.

Message 6 of 11
kenocrates
Tutor

@schumakuwrote:

I found the following information about this:

https://superuser.com/questions/730288/why-do-some-wifi-routers-block-multicast-packets-going-from-w...

Following the recommendation there I have disabled the 2.6GHz wifi on the R7000 and enabled it instead on yet another AP, an Apple Time Capsule. Seems to work for everything except a Harmony Hub.

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Interesting workaround, nice find - thank you!

What firmware is in place on your R7000 in AP mode? I would like to push this problem to Netgear to be reviewed and fixed. 

Message 8 of 11
kenocrates
Tutor

Firmware version is the latest currently availble, V1.0.9.26_10.2.31. I am wondering if this may be my problem. Let me know if there is someplace I can see where this problem is submitted so that I can monitor it. I would prefer to have my wi-fi on one device. My work-around is not ideal. As it is, I occassionly to have to connect to the low band wifi to reconnect with IoT devices.

@schumaku wrote:

Interesting workaround, nice find - thank you!

What firmware is in place on your R7000 in AP mode? I would like to push this problem to Netgear to be reviewed and fixed. 

My work-around

Message 9 of 11
kenocrates
Tutor

@Case850 wrote:

@kenocrates

>>> Firmware version is the latest currently availble, V1.0.9.26_10.2.31.

V 1.0.9.28 has been released.

Router update said I had the latest. But I have now installed it manually.

Release notes only said there were "security fixes" but I will try it.

Message 10 of 11
kenocrates
Tutor

@kenocrates wrote:

@Case850 wrote:

@kenocrates

>>> Firmware version is the latest currently availble, V1.0.9.26_10.2.31.

V 1.0.9.28 has been released.

Router update said I had the latest. But I have now installed it manually.

Release notes only said there were "security fixes" but I will try it.

Well, I guess the problem I observed was a security issue because the latest firmware udpate worked for me - I have my IoT devices back on the R7000! Now it is only the Harmony iPhone app connection to the Harmony Hub that still doesn't work. It must use some other feature of wifi that is broken on the R7000. It worked when it was in Router mode.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7