Aspirant

Wireless networks visible but unable to connect.

For the second time in about a week I have run into an issue where my wireless devices are able to see both the 2.5 and 5ghz networks but are unable to connect. The only solution I have found is to reboot the router. Has anyone seen this issue or have suggestions on how I can prevent this problem? Currently running Firmware Version V1.0.3.24_1.1.20
Message 1 of 11
Virtuoso

Re: Wireless networks visible but unable to connect.

It's common to see when devices goes to sleep or hibernation mode

Try adjusting power management of the network adapter (PC only) . Mobile devices , try setup static IP. Also that goes to pc as well if power management did not helped
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 11
Aspirant

I've had this happen twice to my R7000 running V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 in the past two weeks. I have it set up in Access Point mode with multiple devices connecting on 2.4GHz and 5GHz (each band has a different SSID).

Each time it happened, the disconnected devices are listed in the Connected Devices page without an IP address. I can connect one of the disconnected devices to an Asus RT-N66U without a problem, but cannot connect to the R7000 until it's been reset.

I never had this problem (same devices) with the RT-N66U.

There's definitely something that's failing over time with this firmware. I may roll back to the previous version and see if the problem goes away.
Message 3 of 11
Aspirant

It's not a resume / power management issue. All actively connected wireless devices are dropped and are unable to reconnect.

I can't say for certain that this is exclusively a wireless issue or if the router stops responding in general. I have a few wired devices but both times this problem occurred I power cycled the router before checking those devices for connectivity.

I have to say I am disappointed with the level of router operation logging available to us and what little information that is available is cleared when you power cycle the router. Smiley Sad.
Message 4 of 11
Virtuoso

All actively connected wireless devices are dropped and are unable to reconnect.

Meaning you are actually using the a device and drops correct right in the middle of you are using it?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 11
Aspirant

Braddo, I had similar issues with 5Ghz where it looked fine from the router side and from the 5 clients I tried from but nothing connected. It's very much acting like the wifi driver for the 5Ghz chip in the router crashes. The slow progress with fixes is why I went with dd-wrt eventually.
Message 6 of 11
Aspirant

This sounds to be same issue I've been observing with my R7000.. except some devices can continue to work normally while others can't connect.
Message 7 of 11
Aspirant

I just experienced a weird variation of this issue this morning. My Galaxy S4 could NOT connect to one particular server on my home network. It could connect to everything else internally and externally, but not this one server. My Xperia Tablet Z is connected via the same R7000 could talk to the server. I connected my Galaxy S4 to a second router (RT-N66U) and it connected to the server. I restarted wifi on the phone, but still could not contact the server when connected to the R7000.

I could not ping my Galaxy S4 from a PC while it was connected via the R7000. I left a continuous ping running from my PC and rebooted the R7000. After the R7000 rebooted and the Galaxy S4 reconnected to the R7000, it started responding to pings. It was then able to connect to the server.

I'm still on V1.0.3.24_1.1.20.
Message 8 of 11
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Meaning you are actually using the a device and drops correct right in the middle of you are using it?

Yes. It's a cascading effect. First one computer gets dropped while other computers remain connected and have internet access but gradually over the next couple minutes the other computers are dropped and unable to reconnect as well.
Message 9 of 11
Aspirant

Just a quick update.

My issue isn't isolated to just wireless. Today I ran into connectivity issues again and fired up the Xbox just to see if a wired device could connect. The router would not assign an IP to the Xbox.

I haven't been in the mood to troubleshoot further. If this happens again I may try the dd-wrt firmware.
Message 10 of 11
Aspirant

Same issue here. Have tried 3 different r7000 routers and all have the same issue. Its just randomly too nothing to identify where/why it happens.

Unfortunately I havent even found a viable fix. I have to turn the router off for like half hour befpre I get response again.

Wired devices are fine. Its just wifi is busted
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements