Re: Wireless signal keeps dropping!Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000

AaronStrix
Initiate

Wireless signal keeps dropping!Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000

The internet signal"wireless and lan" keeps dropping, I've updated software, gone back to previous, hard reset, had my internet provider come look, it is the router. I have no idea what or how to begin going about this. This issue has been happening for the past 5 months and I personally don't think a 300$ router" I paid 400$ through fingerhut" should be having problems working. Any advise is very appreciated please and thank you.
Message 1 of 6

@AaronStrix wrote:
The internet signal"wireless and lan" keeps dropping...

What internet signal is this? The link to the modem?

What do the LEDs indicators on the thing show when this happens?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6
AaronStrix
Initiate

the Wi-Fi, and lan line from the router, modem is fine. and all the lights are lit up white as if they are working correcting. Kind of interesting tho, it seems to be working better after 5 months of constant problems, AFTER I posted this thread...🤔
Message 3 of 6
grumpa43
Apprentice

This message is not a "fix". It lists what I have done to get my R8000 not to drop wired and wireless connections: so far so good for 3 months - not one dropped connection.

---

Like many, I have been waiting for Netgear to "fix" the R8000's problems. My thought is that they may be trying to fix it, but the evidence so far is that they can't. Why not is anyone's guess; hardware limitations, firmware bugs, lack of desire or competence?

But I needed a functioning, stable home network, which I now have - but it took this;

Firmware: 1.0.3.54_1.1.37

Turn off: Auto wireless channels - select them manually.

Turn off: QoS

Turn off: Parental Controls

Turn off: DNLA Media Server

Turn off: R8000 2.4 Radio (horribly slow) and add a separate wireless access point for 2.4 wireless connections.

Turn off: Smart Connect on 5GHz Radio, assign channels manually, use unique SSID names.

So far (after 2 years of problems) not a blip, problem, disconnect, re-boot, or wireless slow down in 3 months.

So my learning was, if you buy/own the R8000, just turn off it's features and add an AP.

The home network is now properly handing XBox gaming, video streaming, multiple TiVo's, 10 wireless devices, 4 wired PCs, and 3 security cameras.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router,R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
RedTower
Aspirant

I'm following your lead on this one grumpa43, but I had a few questions. I am not finding the tabs/screens you adjusted these settings with. I managed to follow the other steps you took. Would appreciate you dumbing it down for me!

Turn off: Auto wireless channels - select them manually. 

Turn off: DNLA Media Server

Turn off: R8000 2.4 Radio (horribly slow) and add a separate wireless access point for 2.4 wireless connections. 

Thanks for the advice, here's hoping it works as well for me as it did for you!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 6
grumpa43
Apprentice

Turn off: Auto wireless channels: Advanced > Setup > Wireless Setup (this is where you can turn off "auto", and then designate your channel - choose channels that no one else around you is using), "Smart Connect" can also be turned off on this page as well (you will now have 2 5gHz networks to choose from - really working well for me now).

Turn off: DNLA Media Server: Advanced > USB Functions > ReadyShare Storage > Media Server (uncheck Enable Media Server)

Turn off: R8000 2.4 Radio: Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings (uncheck Enable Wireless Radio) I did this because the 2.4 radio was very slow. I then added a Access Point (with 2.4 radio) and have had great performance. It is a shame Netgear can't get it right.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements