Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless speed issue

ChrisUlrich
Tutor

Wireless speed issue

I am trying to figure out what settings I am supposed to be using in order to utilze the downstream speeds full potential.  I have plenty of wireless ac devices, but none seem to be getting the full speed.

Here are my 5ghz settings:

Enable SSID Broadcast CHECKED

Enable Video Network UNCHECKED

NAME: xx

CHANNEL 153 (this was default)

MODE: Up to 1733mbps

I have been using the ATT Wireless speedtest and speedtest.net.  Both net around 120mpbs down while hard wired I get 230mbps down.  

Any suggestions?

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ChrisUlrich
Tutor

Re: Full speeds

Did exactly what you said to do!  Two other signals were on my channel (originally 153 but Netgear recommended 157).  Found a channel not being used, swapped it (channel 40), did speedtest on the iMac... pow!  232mbps down!  

Thank you so much for the advice and assistance.  Excellent directions and help.  You really made my night!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies

Wireless will never be as fast as wired.

A lot depends on local conditions and how many devices are fighting for the bandwidth.

Do you find that you can't do things you want? Or is this just a desire to get faster speed tests?

Don't forget, Internet speed tests are not as reliable when you use wifi to run them. Some speedtest sites warn about this.

Message 2 of 11
ChrisUlrich
Tutor

The idea is to make sure I am getting the speeds i'm supposed to via wireless.

Wired is more than double my wireless connection?  I don't think that's supposed to be that way.

Message 3 of 11
TheEther
Guru

What kind of device do you have?  If it's a PC or laptop, provide the model of the Wi-Fi adapter.

Message 4 of 11
ChrisUlrich
Tutor

2016 MacBook Pro with Touchbar

2015 27" iMac

Gen IV Apple TV

Amazon Firestick

Sony XBR-55X930D

All 802.11AC Certified.

None are getting even close to 200mbps.  Right now, latest test... they're getting 5mbps.  5!

Message 5 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Option-Click the Wi-Fi icon, and provide the following:

Channel

RSSI

Noise

Tx Rate

PHY Mode

MCS Index

Run a Wi-Fi analyzer and take a survey of Wi-Fi networks.  Make sure none of the nearest ones are using the same channel.  If they are, then change your Wi-Fi channel.

You can use open System Information and go to the Wi-Fi section to get a listing of nearby Wi-Fi networks.

Message 6 of 11
ChrisUlrich
Tutor

2.4ghz

Channel: 9

RSSI: -38db

Noise: -83db

Tx Rate: 195mbps

PHY Mode: 802.11ac

MCS Index: 0

5ghz

Channel: 157 (5ghz 80mhz)

RSSI: -47db

Noise: -92db

Tx Rate:878mbps

PHY Mode:802.11ac

MCS Index:7

Message 7 of 11
ChrisUlrich
Tutor

I'm going to do the second part now.

Message 8 of 11
ChrisUlrich
Tutor

Did exactly what you said to do!  Two other signals were on my channel (originally 153 but Netgear recommended 157).  Found a channel not being used, swapped it (channel 40), did speedtest on the iMac... pow!  232mbps down!  

Thank you so much for the advice and assistance.  Excellent directions and help.  You really made my night!

Message 9 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Glad you got it sorted out.  BTW, the RSSI and Noise values on channel 157 were excellent.  But that just goes to show that a strong signal is not everything.  A nearby network on the same channel can really drag yours down.

Message 10 of 11
ChrisUlrich
Tutor

I never even knew about changing channels and how much that could bother a speed!  So thank you for that as well!

Again, I really appreciate your help.  Thank you so much!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7