X10 Device Type

maddly2000
Guide

X10 Device Type

When I go to devices to show all the connected items, everything shows up with a ? (question mark). When I click the drop down to choose a device there are literally 1000 plus phones listed. There are no tablets, pcs, laptops, just hundreds and hundreds of phones. To scroll through the list from A to Z takes literally 2 minutes each direction. Instead of a drop down why can't that just be an editable field???

I could much more easily type in Qnap, or Mike's Ipad instead of using the convoluted and restrictive list provided. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: X10 Device Type

Welcome to the community, @maddly2000 

It's the way how it was designed. 

However, I strongly encourage you to submit your idea in our Idea Exchange board and give it a vote for our engineers to notice. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 8
Adewale
Luminary

I totally agree with OP. the long list of device types available on the X10 is quite commendable however, there should be a way for Netgear to improve the list

i see lots oi devices but most of the devices i use (mainstream devices mostly) are not in the prepopulated netgear list..which i found quite strange. even most netgear's own devices are not there!!!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have pass along the feedback to our engineers regarding this idea. 

Thank you!

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

While you are at it, you might suggest that Netgear products should be correctly recognized/included. For instance ReadyNAS, and smart switches (GS724T for example).

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What do you mean by correctly recognized? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@ElaineM wrote:

What do you mean by correctly recognized? 

One thing is that I expect the router to display the hostname of my Netgear switches, instead of displaying <<unknown>>  

It is also generally annoying that when I enter a device name in the address reservation list that name never shows up anywhere else.

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Got it! Will forward it now. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos