Re: X10 R9000 Access Control Not Working -- You cannot SAVE anything (700 bucks wasted)

MichaelFL
Apprentice

X10 R9000 Access Control Not Working -- You cannot SAVE anything (700 bucks wasted)

Common man, I just freakin had to replace the AC1900 because turning ON Access Control, due to some stupid bug in the firmware, caused my LAN speeds to max at 200Mbps.

Now I put out over 700 dollars between the X10 and the X6S Extender and warranties and you know what I got... A network that is no more secure and a more broken router than my AC1900

--Yes I updated to the latest firmware (on startup matter of fact)

--Yes I have rebooted

--Yes I have already done a reset and started over

Scenario 3

1. Make sure Access Control is on

2. Start up a new device

3. Select it

4. DONT hit Edit. Just click Allow

--It refreshes the screen but the device is still blocked

Major Issue

--I cannot get my extender to work because it will NOT allow me to ALLOW it on the network even though it was ADDED via WPS Its still blocked.

Yeah.. I can turn off Access Control, but then I am exactly where I was with my AC1900. No Control, Full LAN Speed and NOT what I want or paid for..

Common netgear

Scenario 1

1. Go into Access Control

2. Turn it on
3. Select any device which is already listed (before turning on Access Control

4. Selected Edit

5. Change the description which says n/a to anything... type food and hit Apply

--The result is it goes back to the main screen and still says n/a in the list for that IP / MAC

--click it and edit again and same thing (n/a)

Scenario 2

1. Make sure Access Control is on (block all new devices)

2. Turn on a new device (wired or wireless doesn't matter)

3. In the list select it and click edit. 

4. Try to chance it to Allow and click apply

--Result (still says n/a) And it is still BLOCKED 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
MichaelFL
Apprentice

Re: X10 R9000 Access Control Not Working -- You cannot SAVE anything (700 bucks wasted)

And then I had to reset the router again, because turning on Access Control Blocked things, and turning it off didn't let me allow them

(p.s. no idea why my Scenarios are posted out of order above... I didn't type them that way).

Oy...

Message 2 of 11
MichaelFL
Apprentice

And the hits just keep on giving... Now devices as I turn them on are just automatically blocked... and cannot use the network.

Blocked.PNG

Message 3 of 11
TheEther
Guru

It sure does look like things are busted, which is a shame.

But lemme ask you this. Are you looking to prevent rogue Wi-Fi devices from gaining access? Your primary line of defense against that is a strong Wi-Fi password. And, frankly, that's all you really need.

Access Control is about as effective as WEP ever was for Wi-Fi. IOW, it's not. Just as WEP is trivial crack, Access Control is trivial to bypass.

My advice is if you are using Access Control to add security to your network, then don't bother. Defense in depth using multiple layers of protection is a sound doctrine, but Access Control shouldn't be one of those layers.

IMO, the only useful role Access Control can play is curfew management for young kids and their devices.
Message 4 of 11
MichaelFL
Apprentice

While I hear you, that's not actually correct. This isn't merely about blocking Wifi Devices, it's about how I have it setup which blocks devices from being plugged into my network (if I so wish).

You are correct in that at it's simplest a solid password is helpful, but that would be like saying I don't need firewalls or anything other than passwords. While I get you didn't say that, that's in effect how it can easily be applied.

We have loads of workers and random people that attempt to connect to our network (standard issues). With turning on Access Control it does a better job of blocking those folks than just the password. It also enables me, to stop people whom previously been given the password ( my kids friends etc ) than me changing the password all the time.

In my specific scenario this is a constant, not a random.

And at the simplest, it cost 450 dollars... as well as my current AC1900 which is still a 150 bucks. Not including shipping and other purchases.

I truly know you are probably also 🙂 trying to make me feel better about the issue, but this is simply a terrible design flaw that worked perfectly up until about 2 months ago (holistically).

Along with my literal hours of wasted time (and downtime).

now I gotta drive up to drop this one off for return too and wait on my 500 dollar refund.

P.S. So far the extender works great... So I am keeping that 🙂

Message 5 of 11
MichaelFL
Apprentice

While I hear you, that's not actually correct. This isn't merely about blocking Wifi Devices, it's about how I have it setup which blocks devices from being plugged into my network.

You are correct in that at it's simplest a solid password is helpful, but that would be like saying I don't need firewalls or anything other than passwords. While I get you didn't say that, that's in effect how it can easily be applied.

We have loads of workers and random people that attempt to connect to our network (standard issues). With turning on Access Control it does a better job of blocking those folks than just the password. It also enables me, to stop people whom previously been given the password ( my kids friends etc ) than me changing the password all the time.

In my specific scenario this is a constant, not a random.

And at the simplest, it cost 450 dollars... as well as my current AC1900 which is still a 150 bucks. Not including shipping and other purchases.

I truly know you are probably also 🙂 trying to make me feel better about the issue, but this is simply a terrible design flaw that worked perfectly up until about 2 months ago (holistically).

Along with my literal hours of wasted time (and downtime).

now I gotta drive up to drop this one off for return too and wait on my 500 dollar refund.

P.S. So far the extender works great... So I am keeping that 🙂

Message 6 of 11
MichaelFL
Apprentice

one other quick point.

It is in fact a big problem for me that I cannot actually provide a description to the devices on my network, which makes it easier for me to use. So even if I turned on Access Control and allow everything (the only way to specifically let me name the devices) that is really important to me.

That part doesn't work either, because it won't save anything. Holistically its just a terrible firmware and I have no idea how in the world they didn't catch these bugs as the scenarios are standard scenarios.

Message 7 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Can you clarify what not correct? Was I incorrect about something technical, or was I incorrect about what you're trying to accomplish?

Just because I don't believe in Access Control is not the same as saying we don't need firewalls. Please don't make that faulty generalization.

If you are trying to contend with managing physical access to your network (as in, someone can literally plug into your Ethernet network), then you've got bigger problems on your hands. I still assert that Access Control is a very poor tool.

If you want to use something secure, use 802.1x. That gives you proper, authenticated access to a local network.

It sounds like this is a work environment. If correct, using consumer grade gear is probably not the best choice.

Finally, I'm not excusing Netgear for having a broken feature. I was trying to finesse the situation by convincing you that it's not worth fighting for. "These are not the droids you are looking for." 🙂
Message 8 of 11
schumaku
Guru

One more point worth mentioning ... a wireless device can associate with both the router as well as the extender. Wehn it's on the router, it does make use it's real MAC address. When it's on the extender, it does use a virtual MAC address (the vendor UID is replaced). So one device can show up n+1 times - with n the number of the extenders in the game plus 1 for the direct connction. 

I would expect ... from a router in this price range ... much better supporting (at last the Netgear) extenders. This does not only apply to the device list, but also to the DHCP server and reserved IP addresses - one per device - regardless of the effective and the extender MAC address(es).

Message 9 of 11
MichaelFL
Apprentice

Agree, I definitely felt you were trying to help cushion the blow and be supportive 🙂

I merely disagree that Access Control in and of itself isn't useful. So you are "generally" say it isn't useful and I am saying that that generality isn't generally true (in my opinion) lol, man I so tried to work in another general there.

Either way, now that it won't let me add devices at all (once turned on lol its completely jacked up), I can't use it anyway. I just want back to my 1900 with it turned off and everything works.

Just not how I want it to.

It's not that it's workplace, it is merely, I buy things to use them as they are designed, and features paid for to exist. Even if others disagree I need them etc, it doesn't mean it's wrong, it just means its not important to others.

It's like I go to get a good bacon cheeseburger and they don't put the bacon on. Sure, I could just go meh it's still a burger and not make them fix it, or I could say just go make me bacon, i'll wait and put it on after, while my burger gets cold. Or I can say, nope go make me another with it on already, so it's hot (and what I paid for).

I personally like having the Access Control. Again, even "if" for no other reason, than its the only way for me to give names (descriptions) to the devices on the network. If they seperated that out, it would at least in some small way, make me go.. Meh I guess I can live with it as I can define things.

And to the other user, talking about the MAC's etc. You are correct and WIFI extenders themselves do this as they are mutli-band / channel.

But in the end 🙂 this is merely that the feature doesn't work at all and I bought it because I liked the feature, not about whether (any of us agree) it's a useful feature. (or any subpart of the feature).

Netgear used to be really good about this stuff... Now it's sorta messy.

I will say its a sweet looking device and I like the UI (way better than the Linksys UI's..I had initially replaced with the latest Linksys Router) But that had practicelly zero MAC filtering support and the UI...Well it was goofy to say the least lol.

Message 10 of 11
TheEther
Guru

The way I see it is that router vendors, including Netgear, put a lot of features either for backwards compatibility as well as to maintain feature parity with competitors. But many of those features really shouldn't be there. I already mentioned WEP. Nobody in their right mind should use WEP any more, but it's still there. The same goes with WPS.

Access Control falls into that grey area where it fails as a security measure but can be used for curfews. You disagree with this and I respect that. Let's agree to disagree. 😉

Anyway, I've proselytized enough. I hope Netgear acknowledges that Access Control is broken and gets around to fixing it.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E