Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Reply
Highlighted
Star

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@tjohnson wrote:
Seems to me like more than a firmware issue, as I've tried reverting firmware, voxel firmware, and dd wrt, which all experienced the same issues.



Interesting... What version did you try (I mean my build)? Well, important point here is that you have to perform a hardware reset of the router when switching to my latest 1.0.4.6HF(-HW). Probably the same for DD-WRT or early version of a stock firmware. Why reset: NG changed some layout of mtd partitions. Plus changed QCA drivers. So just flashing w/o reset might spoil router's functionality.

I do use my 1.0.4.6HF-HW. Currently about 80 hours w/o any dropouts. I.e. whole time since last reboot. 80 hours: is it some kind of stability confirmation?


P.S.
I do not check this forum too often, just brwosed after  @xnsys signals.

Voxel.

Message 26 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@Voxel wrote:

@tjohnson wrote:
Seems to me like more than a firmware issue, as I've tried reverting firmware, voxel firmware, and dd wrt, which all experienced the same issues.



Interesting... What version did you try (I mean my build)? Well, important point here is that you have to perform a hardware reset of the router when switching to my latest 1.0.4.6HF(-HW). Probably the same for DD-WRT or early version of a stock firmware. Why reset: NG changed some layout of mtd partitions. Plus changed QCA drivers. So just flashing w/o reset might spoil router's functionality.

I do use my 1.0.4.6HF-HW. Currently about 80 hours w/o any dropouts. I.e. whole time since last reboot. 80 hours: is it some kind of stability confirmation?


P.S.
I do not check this forum too often, just brwosed after  @xnsys signals.

Voxel.


Thanks for the update. I attempted R9000-V1.0.4.3HF-HW. By hardware reset, do you mean just a normal reboot, or is there more that needs to be done? After I did the flash, and everything came back up, I unplugged the router for a few minutes and plugged it back in.Same with DD-WRT.

 

I do know that in it's stock form, the router is unusable, so I'm completely fine with giving your firmware another try if that means fixing any issues I have.

Message 27 of 95
Highlighted
Star

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@tjohnson wrote:

@Voxel wrote:

@tjohnson wrote:
Seems to me like more than a firmware issue, as I've tried reverting firmware, voxel firmware, and dd wrt, which all experienced the same issues.



Interesting... What version did you try (I mean my build)? Well, important point here is that you have to perform a hardware reset of the router when switching to my latest 1.0.4.6HF(-HW). Probably the same for DD-WRT or early version of a stock firmware. Why reset: NG changed some layout of mtd partitions. Plus changed QCA drivers. So just flashing w/o reset might spoil router's functionality.

I do use my 1.0.4.6HF-HW. Currently about 80 hours w/o any dropouts. I.e. whole time since last reboot. 80 hours: is it some kind of stability confirmation?


P.S.
I do not check this forum too often, just brwosed after  @xnsys signals.

Voxel.


Thanks for the update. I attempted R9000-V1.0.4.3HF-HW. By hardware reset, do you mean just a normal reboot, or is there more that needs to be done? After I did the flash, and everything came back up, I unplugged the router for a few minutes and plugged it back in.Same with DD-WRT.

 

I do know that in it's stock form, the router is unusable, so I'm completely fine with giving your firmware another try if that means fixing any issues I have.


Hardware reset: I would suggest a bit complex procedure (just to make sure). 

1. Backup your current settings.

2. Flash the old stock firmware 1.0.2.40 (it is relatively old and no changes in mtd partitioning yet done):

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R9000/R9000-V1.0.2.40.zip
3. Perform revert to factory settings.

4. Flash my latest version of fw:
https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/R9000-Voxel-firmware/R9000-V1.0.4.6HF-HW.zip
5. Perform revert to factory settings.

6. Restore your settings from backup.

A bit overcomplicated, but to avoid any potential problems. But no manual re-configuration is needed.

Well, FYI my current statistic: no dropouts still. More than 5 days uptime.

Voxel.

Message 28 of 95
Highlighted

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi



By hardware reset, do you mean just a normal reboot, or is there more that needs to be done?

 

As @Voxel says, this is a factory reset. This is also advisable sometimes even when you are using "official" firmware.

 

It refers to the "paperclip in the back" trick. See the Rear Panel pages in the manual:

 

>>>> Nighthawk X10 R9000 | AD7200 Smart WiFi Router| NETGEAR Support <<<<

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 29 of 95
Highlighted
Guide

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

Hey @Voxel  Im using your latest firmware  1046 hf-hw  ... i was on the latest official firmware and i was getting same issues as everyone else.. then i just went into the upgrade and uploaded your newest one and I didnt do any factory resets but it did perform better.. but within 2 days i had it drop on me 1 time.. so thats alot better but... 

 

Do i need to factory reset it first?  

 

Also do i need to flash the old firmware first before updating to yours?   Im confused.. I just dont want to brick my router.

Message 30 of 95
Highlighted
Star

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@RAHSTYLES wrote:

Hey @Voxel  Im using your latest firmware  1046 hf-hw  ... i was on the latest official firmware and i was getting same issues as everyone else.. then i just went into the upgrade and uploaded your newest one and I didnt do any factory resets but it did perform better.. but within 2 days i had it drop on me 1 time.. so thats alot better but... 

 

Do i need to factory reset it first?  

 

Also do i need to flash the old firmware first before updating to yours?   Im confused.. I just dont want to brick my router.


Well, I cannot declare that I've fixed this dropouts problem. Because the concrete reason is not absolutely clear (NG's GPL source codes are partially enclosed, I cannot check everything), I have some suppositions and I tried to apply fixes to avoid potential problems. But for me my latest release is pretty stable. No single dropout. @xnsys also tested this version during 5 days or so (thanks to him), and he tried even to overheat his R9000 using towel ;-) and moving his Wi-Fi clients out of the Wi-Fi zone. Also not dropouts.

So I do suggest to perform these steps above 1-6. To avoid any potential reasons of the problem. Do not be afraid. You will do nothing bad. Just few flashing and revert to factory settings. It is OK for any version of firmware. Moreover, R9000 has u-boot, so it is problematic to brick it.

Voxel.

Message 31 of 95
Highlighted
Guide

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

@Voxel

So can i just factoruy reset it or ... Do I have to flash the old forward ypuou mentioned first? I saw you mentioned something about ports or something
Message 32 of 95
Highlighted
Star

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

 I would suggest a bit complex procedure (just to make sure). 

1. Backup your current settings.

2. Flash the old stock firmware 1.0.2.40 (it is relatively old and no changes in mtd partitioning yet done):

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R9000/R9000-V1.0.2.40.zip
3. Perform revert to factory settings.

4. Flash my latest version of fw:
https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/R9000-Voxel-firmware/R9000-V1.0.4.6HF-HW.zip
5. Perform revert to factory settings.

6. Restore your settings from backup.

A bit overcomplicated, but to avoid any potential problems. But no manual re-configuration is needed.

The whole procedure is above. Just step-by-step.

Voxel.

Message 33 of 95
Highlighted
Guide

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

Where is the option to save settings and revert to factory settings?
Message 34 of 95
Highlighted
Star

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@RAHSTYLES wrote:
Where is the option to save settings and revert to factory settings?

Advanced->Administration->Backup Settings


Voxel.

 

 

Message 35 of 95
Highlighted

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@RAHSTYLES wrote:
Where is the option to save settings and revert to factory settings?

Anyone who does complicated things like playing around with alternative firmware really should read the manual.

 

For those who already found it, forgive the repetition, but here it is again:

 

There is a manual for the R9000 somewhere at the end of this link:

 

>>>> Nighthawk X10 R9000 | AD7200 Smart WiFi Router| NETGEAR Support <<<<

 

Too many of the questions that have come up here betray a worrying ignorance on that front. When you want to know about "factory" reset or "backup", just search the PDF file for those words.

 

 

 

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 36 of 95
Highlighted
Guide

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

No thanks
Message 37 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

I tried V1.0.4.6HF-HW the USB Readyshare not accessible so I have to flash back 1.0.4.2.
Message 38 of 95
Highlighted

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@netghear wrote:
I tried V1.0.4.6HF-HW the USB Readyshare not accessible so I have to flash back 1.0.4.2.

This is your first contribution to a long and growing discussion that is frayed at the edges.

 

There is a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you want help with your problem, it helps to check all previous stuff that may be related, but then you should start your own discussion. In  this was you can also provide your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

If you do decide to ask a question, you really need to provide more details. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 39 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@michaelkenward wrote:

@netghear wrote:
I tried V1.0.4.6HF-HW the USB Readyshare not accessible so I have to flash back 1.0.4.2.

This is your first contribution to a long and growing discussion that is frayed at the edges.

 

There is a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you want help with your problem, it helps to check all previous stuff that may be related, but then you should start your own discussion. In  this was you can also provide your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

If you do decide to ask a question, you really need to provide more details. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

 


What are you talking about?

Did you read the thread?

You know this thread is all about?

Message 40 of 95
Highlighted

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@netghear wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@netghear wrote:
I tried V1.0.4.6HF-HW the USB Readyshare not accessible so I have to flash back 1.0.4.2.

This is your first contribution to a long and growing discussion that is frayed at the edges.

 

There is a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you want help with your problem, it helps to check all previous stuff that may be related, but then you should start your own discussion. In  this was you can also provide your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

If you do decide to ask a question, you really need to provide more details. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

 


What are you talking about?

Did you read the thread?

You know this thread is all about?


Yes, yes, and yes.

 

But the first message in this discussion dates back to 2017-12-07.

 

There have been half a dozen or so firmware versions since. Who knows if it fixed the issue for the first contributor? They haven't been back since last December.

 

By all means carry on the discussion, but don't expect much input from Netgear's support team. Maybe that is not what you want.

 

I just wanted you to understand how things can play out around here.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 41 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

Over the last few weeks/month or so my R9000 has started to drop connections about every 20-30 minutes, it's really annoying.  It's been fairly solid since I bought it when they came out, but now it's getting to the point where it's unusable.

Message 42 of 95
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

Hi RAHSTYLES and virtualuk, 

 

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 43 of 95
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi RAHSTYLES and virtualuk, 

 

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team


Newer firmware no doubt???  Why not actually release something to the public so that we can all be made happy, and have a device that finally does what it's supposed to...reliably???

 

In fact - don't bother with me as I've given up with Netgear, and I've even thrown in the towel as to recommending Netgear to any of my customer's for home use, 118 houses I had to source a router for recently, and because of this shoddy firmware netgear (who were the 1st choice) have lost out of sales and it went to ASUS.

 

Just fix your products, not just this one...ALL OF THEM!

Message 44 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@Voxel wrote:

@tjohnson wrote:

@Voxel wrote:

@tjohnson wrote:
Seems to me like more than a firmware issue, as I've tried reverting firmware, voxel firmware, and dd wrt, which all experienced the same issues.



Interesting... What version did you try (I mean my build)? Well, important point here is that you have to perform a hardware reset of the router when switching to my latest 1.0.4.6HF(-HW). Probably the same for DD-WRT or early version of a stock firmware. Why reset: NG changed some layout of mtd partitions. Plus changed QCA drivers. So just flashing w/o reset might spoil router's functionality.

I do use my 1.0.4.6HF-HW. Currently about 80 hours w/o any dropouts. I.e. whole time since last reboot. 80 hours: is it some kind of stability confirmation?


P.S.
I do not check this forum too often, just brwosed after  @xnsys signals.

Voxel.


Thanks for the update. I attempted R9000-V1.0.4.3HF-HW. By hardware reset, do you mean just a normal reboot, or is there more that needs to be done? After I did the flash, and everything came back up, I unplugged the router for a few minutes and plugged it back in.Same with DD-WRT.

 

I do know that in it's stock form, the router is unusable, so I'm completely fine with giving your firmware another try if that means fixing any issues I have.


Hardware reset: I would suggest a bit complex procedure (just to make sure). 

1. Backup your current settings.

2. Flash the old stock firmware 1.0.2.40 (it is relatively old and no changes in mtd partitioning yet done):

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R9000/R9000-V1.0.2.40.zip
3. Perform revert to factory settings.

4. Flash my latest version of fw:
https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/R9000-Voxel-firmware/R9000-V1.0.4.6HF-HW.zip
5. Perform revert to factory settings.

6. Restore your settings from backup.

A bit overcomplicated, but to avoid any potential problems. But no manual re-configuration is needed.

Well, FYI my current statistic: no dropouts still. More than 5 days uptime.

Voxel.


Was finally able to get around to doing this tonight. Will post back within a few days with my results. Crossing my fingers that this helps.

Message 45 of 95
Highlighted
Guide

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

So far with voxels firmware... I have gotten only 3 to 4 disconnects on the last 5 days... Way better improvement then official. Could it be a problem with too many devices attached to the wifi? My router always seems to be really hot.
Message 46 of 95
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@RAHSTYLES wrote:
So far with voxels firmware... I have gotten only 3 to 4 disconnects on the last 5 days... Way better improvement then official. Could it be a problem with too many devices attached to the wifi? My router always seems to be really hot.

Hot on the top or bottom?

 

Hot on the top is good if the heat is dispersed evenly over the heatsinks - this means that you have thermal contact, heat on the bottom and not on the top is a bad thing as could indicate that the thermal paste that they use has bubbles and is not contacting the heatsinks.

 

See this thread...

 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-X10-Last-ditch-attempt-to-make-it-work...

 

For the record, mine used to be very warm on the bottom but cold on the top - after changing the thermal paste, it's cooler than it was on the bottom, but warmer on the top - and overall running a lot cooler, probably because the thermal still I've replaced it with is a lot better than the original rubbish they used.

 

I'm not convinced that it could be thermal related, as Voxel has said, I covered it in a towel, took a couple of devices to the edge of the range and transferred over 100GB of data on both the 2.4 and 5GHz channels.

 

This is the result - certainly warmer than it has been in the past, but having said that, it's possible that the previous thermal stuff wasn't making contact, and when pushed the ICs would spike in temperature very quickly and then shut-off as a result, with the new thermal paste, this allows the ICs to warm up at a more gentle pace..

 

While this transfer was underway, I also had 4x "yes > /dev/null &" commands running - this has the effect of pushing the CPU to 100% - one command per thread, so it was seriously loaded.

 

Plus, I had a mobile using WiFi calling dialed back to a desk-phone, which was transmitting music (had some headphones against the mouthpiece ), and I was walking up and down every so often during the testing period, close to the router and then to where I know the edge of the wireless range is, back and forth - not for the full test, even I'm not that sad, I just had the phone in my pocket while cleaning the house lol

 

I ran the test for an hour.

 

What isn't pictures is that I also removed the RF shields and replaced the thermal pads with some 12W/mK stuff I had in stock.

 

Router.jpg

 

And for reference, this was the temperatures before loading the device..

 

Unknown.png

 

Message 47 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

@Voxel I think I found to source of the issue.
How can we chat? I think that with your knowhow you may pin point and solve it faster then netgear themself.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 48 of 95
Highlighted
Star

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi


@GalBrill wrote:
@Voxel I think I found to source of the issue.
How can we chat? I think that with your knowhow you may pin point and solve it faster then netgear themself.

You may e-mail me. There is Donate button on my site. It shows somewhere one of my e-mail address.

Voxel.

Message 49 of 95
Highlighted
Guide

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

Hey voxel when do you plan on releasing another update? I think one more and it would be perfect.
Message 50 of 95