Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: X10 R9000 - Devices constantly dropping connection via Wifi

I am now having the same issue. I suppose I could say that I have always had the issue, but it was every once and awhile. Now, with the newest firmware, V1.0.4.12, it is dropping every 10-15 minutes. The computer I am using is 10 feet away from the router. After 10+ years, I'm beginning to think Netgear is the last company to turn to for my home router needs. Even as I type this, the connection has dropped twice. Ridiculous.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 51 of 95
Highlighted
Master

@jacks12345 wrote:

I am now having the same issue. I suppose I could say that I have always had the issue, but it was every once and awhile. Now, with the newest firmware, V1.0.4.12, it is dropping every 10-15 minutes. The computer I am using is 10 feet away from the router. After 10+ years, I'm beginning to think Netgear is the last company to turn to for my home router needs. Even as I type this, the connection has dropped twice. Ridiculous.

@jacks12345

I agree with you 100%. Netgear used to be my go to vendor for home network needs. After a r8000 and r8000p, which are sold now, I would have a hard time recommending Netgear to even my enemy.

Have recently switched, last few days now, to an all Ubiquiti Unifi network. Unifi router/gateway, Unifi PoE switch and Unifi AP-LR. Running really well and you can get more network traffic info then you could ever want. Not for the non techie though. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 52 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have no network connection this morning. Was on for 2 seconds then nothing. Just tired of the bull. Why don't they just FIX the firmware. 

Message 53 of 95
Highlighted
Master

@Printelf1979 wrote:

I have no network connection this morning. Was on for 2 seconds then nothing. Just tired of the bull. Why don't they just FIX the firmware. 

IMHO, they do not seem to have the engineering software talent to figure things out. Netgear firmware = GARBAGE and has. Reason I do not use them, sold my r8000 and r8000p due to firmware issues that were on going.  

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 54 of 95
Highlighted
Apprentice

by the way new voxels fw is released. i hope now ng moderators will not remove my message message if i reference to voxels fw. why such censorship?

Message 55 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

When I bought my R9000 to replace an old Apple router that worked fine but wasn't up to my 300 mbs internet speed it worked flawlessly for 4 or 5 months. Then it started dropping wifi connection to the Internet. I spent hours on the phone with their support people resetting the modem, router, devices, etc. They finally decided to send me a new which is having the same problem. It loses connectivity more than it has it. I hooked my Apple router back up and it works fine. Netgear has a problem with this device that they are not admitting to. They provide only 30 days of online support unless you pay for more even if you buy their extended hardware warranty. Even when they did provide support it took lots of time on the phone with very little results. I don't recommend the R9000. For the first few months when it worked it worked well but they changed something after that.
Message 56 of 95
Highlighted
Initiate

Same issues here.  This sucks so bad.  My wife keeps blaming me.  Tech support sent me a new router about 2 months ago but this one is having the same issues.  Hooked my r7000 back up and flashed with a different firmware that Voxel made and have had no issues with 7 days straight of up time.  I hate that I ever spent the money on this.  Would love it if it would work but there is a serious problem here that needs correcting.

Message 57 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestion. I really have a problem paying this much for a router that the manufacturer can't or won't fix. I think Netgear is alienation lots of customers with this product.
Message 58 of 95
Highlighted
Master

I agree with the Voxel suggestion. It looks, drives and installs manually just lile Netgear firmware so no big learning curve like some 3rd party firmware. Voxel tests his firmware on the actual box before he ships and fixes things that Netgear has not yet. I ran it on a r7800 for a period of time without issues. 

Would be interesting to hear from someone with this problem and then installs Voxel.

Cannot hurt to try it and if you want/need to get back to Netgear just download the firmware and do a manual install just like if you were working with Netgear. 

Here is the site where the firmware is. Hopefully forum moderators don't whack the info. 

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 59 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

I guess the only fix to this problem is to return my router and buy a differnt brand. First time I have used a netgear product and will be the last considering I did not see a logical solution from the support network here. All of my devices drop connection for just a few seconds and then reconnect, really annoying when streaming a movie and you have to start completely over or fast forward to where it disconnected or you're playing an Xbox game and dont know you're dead until it reconnects. I did not have the problem prior to installing the Netgear router. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 60 of 95
Highlighted
Star

@vvolf119 wrote:

I guess the only fix to this problem is to return my router and buy a differnt brand. First time I have used a netgear product and will be the last considering I did not see a logical solution from the support network here. All of my devices drop connection for just a few seconds and then reconnect, really annoying when streaming a movie and you have to start completely over or fast forward to where it disconnected or you're playing an Xbox game and dont know you're dead until it reconnects. I did not have the problem prior to installing the Netgear router. 

Well, try first to flash my build 1.0.4.14HF-HW. According to guys it is stable. No dropouts.

Voxel.

Message 61 of 95
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Voxel:

voxel many thanks for your firmware! work like a charm. no any dropouts. rock solid.

Message 62 of 95
Highlighted
Master

And Voxel fixes another. Great firmware for those of you having issues give his a try. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 63 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Where can I get the dose load to flash it?
Message 64 of 95
Highlighted
Master

@vvolf119 wrote:
Where can I get the dose load to flash it?

Google is your friend. Smiley Wink

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 65 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Been having same issue for last month. 6 service calls from internet provider and many hours with ng support. Anyhow just tried to turn off roaming and so far no drops or lags. I was getting a drop wirelessly every 2-3 mins.
Message 66 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just an fyi I have a cable modem with x10 r9000 router. No extenders. Did not try voxel fix but that will be next step if it does it again. Ng replaced router and told me it was internet providers issue not theirs.
Message 67 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did the Voxel update and it fixed the issue.
Message 68 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you. Please clarify what "roaming" you turned off. That is not a term that I'm familiar with on a router. Thanks, again.
Message 69 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Under the wireless settings there is a roaming switch. It is on by default. To my knowledge it is used when you have wifi extenders and keeps interuptions when moving from one area to another linking to the extender or router. I turned mine off and have not lost or dropped internet yet.
Message 70 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I don't remember seeing that option in the wireless setup tab but if you say it's there I must have missed. I have replaced the X10 with my old router fir now. I was talking with Netgear level 2 support for a couple of hours. He accessed my PC remotely and turned on some debugging software that created a log of events that occurred. He was able to see several disconnects. He said he us passing all of the information to their level 3 people and I should hear from someone in 2-3 weeks. I had to go back to the old router because I need something more stable while I wait to hear from Netgear.
Message 71 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Unfortunately this is not a fix for me as I am using 2 extenders. But, with all this information you would think Netgear would be looking for a fix. Obviously not a priority for them as they are still selling units. 

Message 72 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

On the routerlogin site go to advanced then advanced setup then wireless. It is at bottom of page.
Message 73 of 95
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you.  I checked and mine was off by default.  I am still working with Netgear Level 2 support  and that was one of the things they suggested that I check.

Message 74 of 95
Highlighted
Guru

Get in touch with @ChristineT or @Christian_R - Netgear has a dedicated private Beta for the R9000 - one of the fixes with the updated firmware is an enhancement for a system watchdog causing unwanted WiFi interface/radio restarts leading to the obvious WiFi disconnection. 

Message 75 of 95