X10 (R9000) File Transfer Speeds

Adewale
Luminary

X10 (R9000) File Transfer Speeds

The X10 has two USB 3.0 ports....i connect two usb drives to the ports and open 'READYSHARE' from the network in windows 10. i then copy a file from one thumb drive (T_Drive) to the other (USB_Storage)

what type of transfer speeds should i expect? this is what i have in the picture below...is this normal?

X10 copy.PNG 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: X10 (R9000) File Transfer Speeds

@Adewale wrote:

what type of transfer speeds should i expect? 

When you copy like that, the data travels from the USB drive to the router and then over the network to your windows 10 PC.  Then it travels back over the network to the router and then to the second drive.  

If you are using wifi, the double transfer can be pretty slow.  The speed of the thumb drives also matters (and many thumb drives are pretty slow).

If you were using wifi, can you try a similar transfer using ethernet?

If you plug both drives into the PC, how long does it take?

Message 2 of 5
Adewale
Luminary

Thanks for your post

i will find it very strange and unintelligent for the router to send the files to my pc when i am copying files from two thumb drives that are both connected to the router

if i connect both drive to my pc, they copy files at around 15MB/s..

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Adewale wrote:

i will find it very strange and unintelligent for the router to send the files to my pc when i am copying files from two thumb drives that are both connected to the router

It's windows file explorer that is being strange and unintelligent.  It's in charge of the copying, not the router.  But truthfully it's hard to avoid that behavior in a file sharing protocol.

@Adewale wrote:

if i connect both drive to my pc, they copy files at around 15MB/s..

BTW, reading from the thumb drive is usually faster than writing to it.

If you meant copying from one drive to the other, then on the PC, that movie would copy in about a minute. 

So 45 minutes does seem rather slow, even with the wifi routing.

What uplink/downlink speeds do you see with speedtest.net?

Message 4 of 5
Adewale
Luminary

uplink/downlink standalone test is about 4.5/2Mbps

copied files between two laptops..one is an old laptop (2012) conneced to the 2.4GHz network and the other is surface pro 3 connected to the 5GHz network. was able to get on average about 5MBps copy speed

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements