Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X10 R9000 & SilverStone DS222 = no-go?

81anKarlsson
Aspirant

X10 R9000 & SilverStone DS222 = no-go?

Hi, New here since I recently got myself a Netgear X10 R9000. I have two concerns I want help with but will create a second thread for the other one. What I need help with here is that my router does not mount my SilverStone DS222 USB3 harddrive cabinet when I connect it to any of the USB-ports. I have 2 1TB drives installed in the cabinet with RAID1, but I can't see that that has to do with anything really. The file system is EXT4 at the moment, but that should not be a problem as far as I have read. The status light for USB light up on the router, but in the GUI it says that no device is connected. I might aswell tell that I have another no-name USB3 cabinet with 2 500GB drives in RAID 1 which I connected earlier and it diden't recognise that one either at first. But after about 3-4 days it suddenly appeared in the router GUI!!! Both those drives have external power supplys, so that should not be the problem. I have also tried, i think, 5 different USB-sticks and they all mount as expected. Has anyone else tried a DS222 and got it to work, or has any ideas? Would DD-WRT be a solution?
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
81anKarlsson
Aspirant

Re: X10 R9000 & SilverStone DS222 = no-go?

I installed DD-WRT and the "problem" is solved.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies

ReadyShare has limited support for USB devices. The arrangement you describe is well outside its capabilities.

You can get an idea of what you can use from this page:

Will my USB drive work with ReadySHARE | Answer | NETGEAR Support

For serious networking use Ethernet.

Message 2 of 10
81anKarlsson
Aspirant

It all looks like it can't support this particular device. But I have read Netgears support claim that it's supposed to supports way more than 1TB drives and among others EXT4 file systems. So I don't buy that just yet.

The cabinet does not require any specific drivers as far as I know. I can even connect it to my Android smartphone without any problems!  Haven't tried that with EXT4 thou.

Message 3 of 10

@81anKarlsson wrote:

The cabinet does not require any specific drivers as far as I know.

Hmm. Don't forget that Windows and other OSs come with built-in support for a pile of kit.

The OS on a router cannot hope to match that.

But don't take my word for it, I am just reporting what I have read here over the years. This tells me that no one has managed to get stuff like that to work. Maybe you have the magic touch.

Message 4 of 10
myersw
Master

I assume you are powering this enclosure externally and not hoping the router will power it. That said as others have noted this is probably out of the realm of the router being able to support it. 

I would suggest you look into an external NAS like I did rather then trying to get the router to handle NAS duties along with routing and network device support. My thought is routers were meant to route and support networks and you use another purpose built external network attached NAS. 

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

We have seen such enclosures with embedded RAID controllers (mostly unmanaged, virtually zero monitoring capabilities, ....) which seem to be recognized by some devices as a single storage volume, while other systems (mostly Linux) does detect them like n individual storage devices - same on other embedded devices ReadyNAS, Asustor, QNAP, Synology NAS, ...  

Message 6 of 10
81anKarlsson
Aspirant

@michaelkenward

You are probably right. But I came here in hope to get another answer 😄

Any idea if DD-WRT would solve it? It did work in one of my previous Linksys routers with DD-WRT. But I belive it worked with Linksys stock FW aswell, so that might not tell you anything.

@myersw

Yes, I power the cabinet with external power, even thou USB3 should supply enough power.

Buying a NAS would possibly be the simple but expensive solution. But I’ve been using my USB-drive connected to my routers as a NAS for several years and it does all I ask for flawlessly. So I can’t see why I should be forced to buy another device when I can be done simpler and cheaper. Especially when I have bought one of the most expensive home-routers on the market.

@schumaku

The only managing you can do to this device is switch between how it’s presenting itself to the host it’s being connected to. You can choose between RAID0, RAID1 and two separate drives.

So when in any RAID config it looks like any single USB harddrive for the host, my X10 router in this case. The host doesn’t know the cabinet has two drives inside. Non I've tested anyway. I’ve used it on my Linux laptop and it does not see it as two drives either.

The switch to do this is inside of the cabinet and cannot be changed once you have data on the drives. Changing it will wipe the drives.

As mentioned before, I have another dual drive USB-cabinet, but this one is from a no-name maker. It works exactly the same. The only difference is that the X10 router discovered this one after it had been connected for a few days! I would really love an explanation how that could be!?

Thanks for your inputs!

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

All these embedded devices are at least one decade behind any decent desktop or server Linux distro. Kernels are historic, the UPnP code is from the early days, ... that's all. And the SoC makers deliver mostly outdated dev kit code. ODM integrating things often standardize on the "most basic" common available code. Figure. That's all. 

Message 8 of 10
81anKarlsson
Aspirant

I installed DD-WRT and the "problem" is solved.

Message 9 of 10
myersw
Master

Glad you found a solution. Have run DD-WRT on many routers, starting with a WRT54G in 2006. I am aways hesitent to suggest 3rd party to someone as I do not know their technical level. I do suggest Voxel's, but he is close to Netgear in look and feel with a few fixes or add ons and installs and removes just like a manual Netgear firmware install. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7